Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the anatomy of the door rattle (tap, clap, etc)UPDATED

eureka

im not gonna be positive on this yet.............

but about 2 hours of time into it, at LEAST one culprit of the tap has been discovered..........

((once you pull the door panel, you'll see the limitless possibilities for tappings..............))

FYI:: i have foregone the idea of the dealer entirely.... IF you want this fixed, you'll HAVE todo it yourself..........

with any luck, im one step (big one at that) closer to success.......

The anatomy of the door (part one)

((note)) this is a hard site to witness, especially when my car has only 1200 miles on her....... but its a must to get in there

(()) it seems the glass-lie tapping sound is really a metalic 'clap' or contact made between a three ply section of the upper door sill (not the window sill, but the door sill)

(()) the more you open/close the door, the more the tolerances between said three-ply metal weakens, and........ eventually begins to make contact...

Attachments

·
Registered
487 Posts
:/

I'm scared already. If I have to take the door off, I -know- something is going to go wrong. :(

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doombringer said:
:/

I'm scared already. If I have to take the door off, I -know- something is going to go wrong. :(

doom......

it is PAINFULLY easy todo................

if you like, when i show the culprit and what we did to fix it, i can include a step-by-step (with pix) on pulling this panel ((really, dont fret!!))

·
Registered
487 Posts
Definitely post as in-depth a tutorial as you can, esemes. Either on here or on a website.

If anything, I can pass the how-to off to dealer techs and see what they say. If I'm feeling brave, I'll.. gulp.. take off the door panel.

:1zhelp:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Great pictures Esemes! :claphead:

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
unfortunately.... today (about 150 miles later)........

the tap happened again........

SO, i wont quit..........

the panel is gonna come back off, and ima re-inforce/insulate EVRY piece i can.........

pix will follow (door panel procedures and attempts to de-rattle)

sorry if i over-hyped this guys.... i was really hoping to have a fix done!!

SMS

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
secound try............

if at first you dont succeed...............

okay folks............

this time i bit the bullet; went to a very reputable local hi-end stero shop, and handed them the keys (and basically a blank check) to make the driver-door-tap go away.........

sixty-five dollars later it IS gone......... and i have tested the car repeatedly.......

over bumps, potholes (winced over every one!!) AND traintracks, AND drawbridges..........

gone

NOW all i hvae is a rare (but diagnosable) loose panel covering rap...... (they said to come on back to have the panel's cover tightened)

so.............

wanna know how???

i do.................

pix of the OTHER side soon, as i will document the entire process of re-insulating the door.......

basically, they took the ENTIRE door apart (sans glass removal) and padded, wrapped, and insulated every piece of it.....

it feels more solid when pulling the armrest/handle, and the sound is even better (they will eventuall do the whole car for me in a dyno-mat like setup)

hang in there guys/gals... i even like my MO better now that i DONT need to have the radio on to forget the tapps......

whew!!
:4:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts