Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in the Cincinnati area we received about 8" of the white stuff. Of course my wife had planned a full day of last minute Christmas shopping. Why most sane people stayed warm at home, we ventured out in our MO. Here in Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky the road crews are not used to this amount of snowfall, so the roads were in very poor condition. I just want to say, that the AWD Murano is the best vehicle I have ever owned to handle heavy snow. It just plowed through anything while others struggled. Starting and stopping were amazing. If you are looking for a vehicle for good snow navigation, the AWD Murano is the best!

·
5,264 Posts
I am happy for you. I usually am in Cinty once a month.......anyway, now snow it Atlanta................an I am happy with that!!!!!:D

·
Registered
844 Posts
rjkrej said:
Here in the Cincinnati area we received about 8" of the white stuff. Of course my wife had planned a full day of last minute Christmas shopping. Why most sane people stayed warm at home, we ventured out in our MO. Here in Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky the road crews are not used to this amount of snowfall, so the roads were in very poor condition. I just want to say, that the AWD Murano is the best vehicle I have ever owned to handle heavy snow. It just plowed through anything while others struggled. Starting and stopping were amazing. If you are looking for a vehicle for good snow navigation, the AWD Murano is the best!
Note to rjkrej: Please send all excess snow to Calgary as we are drying out and it is no fun skiing on rocks. Send collect, go Fedex

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
haha bring some of that snow up to edmonton to. maybe we could get some dump trucks to bring in some snow from the east coast after the huge blizzard they had.

me honestly i don't feel very safe driving the mo in the snow. we have 12000km old goodyears on our mo and well they look brand new but there is no traction with them. and when the snow gets a bit slushy, any traction that i had is totally lost. the other day i was trying to turn onto the main road by our house from a stop. i gave it a little gas and almost plowed into the barrier . at the last second the rear end of the mo slid out. i think if the mo had winter tires it would be better.

·
Registered
20 Posts
MO not very good in the snow

Though I like my '04 MO, it has less than 5k miles on it and it's the worst AWD car I've owned for the snow. Not sure how much of it is related to the tires or the AWD system itself.

I currently own 2 other AWD vehicles and they are much more predictable in the snow.

Ray

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,042 Posts
No Figuring!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm sure a lot of this is based on what you're use too. If you're experience is based on 2 WD vehicles then the Mo's AWD will seem great. I've driven some well engineered AWD systems in real nasty weather here in the north east.

The best AWD I've driven is my '04 E500 4Matic. It currently had 18k miles and the tires are down to 4/32's (new rubber on order) and it's by far the best in snow or ice. Of course the ground clearance is minimal but it's great in bad weather.

I know that's not a fair comp because of the price difference but even my '03 Jeep GC LTD is better than the MO in snow.

Ray

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Personally I find the AWD system to be fine for accelerating in a straight line, but when cornering, the AWD should be active the entire time, not kick in during midturn and causing the rear to kick out. As such, I find myself turning much slower in the snow than even the FWD vehicles, because when the rear wheels activate with the AWD the lousy Goodyears have no traction.

I have a feeling its due more to the Goodyears than the AWD system.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Eric L. said:
Personally I find the AWD system to be fine for accelerating in a straight line, but when cornering, the AWD should be active the entire time, not kick in during midturn and causing the rear to kick out. As such, I find myself turning much slower in the snow than even the FWD vehicles, because when the rear wheels activate with the AWD the lousy Goodyears have no traction.

I have a feeling its due more to the Goodyears than the AWD system.
Hello everyone. Longtime lurker first time poster.

Just wanted to completely agree with Eric. I am in the process of buying a new car and yesterday in the snow here in Boston I test drove the FX35 and the Mo back to back. FX AWD system is unbelieveable. Much more advanced I have to say than the Mo. Not to say though that the system in the Mo is not good in 99% of the cases. Turning was a big dif. Did a U turn in the Mo on a snow covered road and scared the heck out of my wife when the rear swung out on me when the AWD kicked in just like Eric mentioned. Did not try it with the AWD locked which could have made a difference and I think the car I test drove may not have had VDC.

Lastly, I have to say we will probably go with the Mo since all in all it is a great car with a lot more room. Need to call up my dealer today and see if he will sell me a loaded 05 SE (without NAV and DVD) at invoice. We shall see...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'll agree with most that the tires are probably what's most effecting snow driveability. If you look at Tire Racks website the Goodyears are rated awful in the snow.

Relative to an 2wd drive car the grip can seem amazing but don't forget that 4wd only helps you in accelerating. It really doesn't help you stop or turn. In fact 4wd has a tendency to act like a RWD car in the snow. So while the ability to start moving in foul conditions is increased it only adds a false sense of security for the rest of your driving. That's probably why most SUV owners drive like dopes in the snow. They think they are invinceable.

A set of snow tires (even cheap ones) will greatly increase your ability to stop and turn in the snow. After you've driven on snow tires you'll never go without. I always have just looked at snow tires as cheap insurance.

Matt

·
4,648 Posts
I'm amazed about you guys... For day to day use and good fuel milage, the system is fantastic. If the weather is so bad that the back end can kick out, then push the AWD button and the characteristics completely change for the better.

I think you guys need to spend some time in a big empty snow covered parking lot getting to know the Murano.

I felt the same way, then realised why. The AWD takes some time to detect the problem and kick in. For normal driving, it's fine. When you start driving aggressively, it sucks.

Push the button and it's fine again. I like the choice and it works.

I can say the same about 4WD vehicles I've had when in RWD only, mode. They were terrible in the snow.

Third winter in my Murano and now that I'm smarter about the system (learned that the first winter) I'm still delighted with how it works. My wife borrowed it christmas eve and I had left it in AWD due to the amount of snow. She came back raving how well it worked. And she rarely drives it.

It may have been different, if I hadn't left it in AWD.

The Murano's not a sports car, nor is it a full off road SUV. But I think it's the perfect balance. As far as the FX goes, I like it, but I'd still rather have FWD with rear assist, a CVT, and the ability to put in larger boxes in the back, all things the FX can't do.:D

Just my opinion, of course, but that's one of the millions of reasons why I love this vehicle.:cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yesterday I had a chance to really spend some quality time with the MO in bad weather. As was mention above, the MO seems to goes fine in a straight line, most of the time. It’s when you need to turn it really falls short. I don’t mean just a sharp turn, even a small course correction. It just seems there’s a stability issue. The rear end seems to be just hanging on and not digging in. It seems to behave more like a FWD than an AWD when the roads are slippery.

It appears to me that the AWD system just doesn’t engage quickly enough. Or the distribution of torque isn’t what I’m use too. I did keep the AWD Lock on for most of the trip but not sure if this had much effect. Doesn’t that turn off at 19mph?

There's not question that some of this could be the tires. However, I haven't used snow tires since my last RWD car; an E420 and it was a must. I realize not all "All Season Tires" are created equal.

Maybe it’s the nature of the beast because its roots are FWD. All of my AWD vehicles have been RWD based.

Ray

·
Registered
5 Posts
As a long time Subaru owner, I will say that Subarus have the same turning characteristics as the MO in snow. I had to spend some quality time in an empty parking lot when first driving a Subie to learn how to prevent the rear-end from kicking out.

Subie automatics put 90% of their power on the front wheels and manuals have a 50/50 split.

Mine have always been autos.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Had a good chance to test the Mo last nite in Boston - good 6-8".. straight line was very good, but turns into side streets - severe understeer.... turns onto main roads, the rear end would kick out a bit.. with AWD lock on, there were no issues.. but that turns off past 19 mph..

Overall stability was pretty good, but it gotta be the tires the Mo comes with - the tread isn't that great for the snow..

On side note, complaints about the wipers - rear ones are fine, but the fronts, so damn hard to clean. I think Nissan wanted a more aerodynamic look for the wipers, but I wish I could pull them up and hold them for easier cleaning, and prevent the blades from freezing to the windshield.

·
4,648 Posts
First time I went from a RWD car in the snow to a FWD car in the snow, I thought it was terrible.

Then I realised I was applying RWD driving practices to a FWD car and it doesn't work. I relearned how to drive a FWD and would never go back to RWD for the snow, in a million years.

I also relearned for 4WD.

I had to relearn again for AWD based on FWD.

I also had to recognise the advantage of computer controlled occasional AWD vs. clicking the switch for full time AWD.

Yes, it's below 19 MPH. Haven't found that to be an issue either. By the time I'm going 19 MPH, I get all the power transfer I want through the front wheels, without the additional drivetrain inefficiencies of AWD at a speed where it's not needed.

Thank you Nissan, I think you did a great job.

And I taught myself, yet again, how to drive and take advantage of your system. Including, when to push the button.

Skid school also was fun and helped, many years ago. After all, where else can you have your employer pay for you to learn how to do a "Rockford"?:D

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Jaak,

Maybe a quick summary what you had learned. I'm coming from a FWD drive car... I only drove a RWD car once in the winter and I'm with you... why would any one in the snow belt area every want a RWD... such a big difference in a FWD car.

But what useful information can you provide to me about the MO AWD system? I had fun coming into work this morning. The parking lot was emtpy so I decided to try to slide into the spot... well I got it to slide into a spot but not the one I was trying for. :eek:

Good thing I had some brains to try it in an emtpy parking lot!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
haha i found that the murano is incredibly easy to do donuts in an empyt parking lot with. one the rear engages to me it acts like a RWD car. we have a truck at home also and it has a 4HI and 4Lo setting so i don't think you can compare the murano to the truck. but for sure the tires are teh concluding issue. the tires on the truck are almost gone and even with 4wd there is no chance of it reacting the way it should. it actually drives liek the murano now. and forget about having RWD when you have 300+ hp at your disposal. there's no way your going anywhere with that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There's no question a FWD vehicle is better in the snow than a RWD. However, if you like driving high end performance cars, how many FWD's fall into that category?

Rayt

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
that's why you sacrifce and get a RWD sports car for the summer and a fwd or awd for the winter

here in edmonton it's not practical to have a devoted summer car as winter is at least 6 months outta the year.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts