Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 511 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've dealt with this problem ever since I took ownership. I figured it might go away as the vehicle 'settled' and all the materials weathered, but noooo...

My driver and passenger windows (and very rarely the rear pass/driver) rattle. Or, more accurately, something is rattling against them and it resonates across the entire window surface. This sounds like a tapping or a creaking (but with a more rapid report, like a *tap!*) and happens in two situations:

Driver's side will tap when hitting a bump on the passenger side. Usually these are creases between sections of paved road. Sudden, quick, snappy bumps.

Passenger side will tap when hitting a similar bump on the driver side.

Both sides will tap if whatever causes the bump hits both sides of the car.

Also, occasionally tapping when the vehicle's weight shifts, like going around curves.

These only happen when the windows are fully up. These also happen MUCH more frequently if it is cold outside, often to the point where -any- bump will result in tap-tap-tap.

Given the topics on "the other Murano forum", people have had a variety of solutions for this. A variety of problems, I imagine. One dude took his door apart and tweaked something where the window rests. Frankly, I don't know what to do.

My MO is going in for 7500 service soon, and I will mention it to the techs. Again. The first time, they heard it on my initial drive, but then couldn't reproduce it (that old line) on subsequent test drives. They must've driven it around their nicely paved, smooth parking lot, because on any normal road, it'll do it. Often.

Mrf. :/

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
607 miles here

EXACTLY what i was experiencing today.......

intermittant, but still...... if i zip the window down, then back up, i am guaranteed to have the 'click' or 'tap' occur.....

SO FAR, the DS window only.........

glad to know im not crazy (well thas debatable)

sms

·
Registered
255 Posts
I may have something similar hapenning. I also get a vibration from Bose Bass in the driver door and thought it was plastic rattelling together. I will have to roll down the window and see if it still rattles.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some clarifications and additions...

What the tapping is NOT:

It is not the seatbelt pillar. This is something directly involving the door and window.

It is not the 'click' you hear after using the Auto Up feature on the driver/passenger windows.

Other occurances/causes:

If playing a song with a good deal of bass (causing the door woofers to really throw out some vibrations), the rattling will happen much more readily. The bass rumbling is not enough to cause the rattle alone, but instead the rattle will happen more frequently at lighter bumps or weight-shifts than without the bass going.

I'd normally say it is something in the door, but the propensity for it to happen more often when it is COLD outside leads me to believe it is the fit of a seal against the window, or something that would fit 'better' when warmer (because materials expand when warm, duh).

Hmm. Hmm. Hmm...

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Doombringer said:
Some clarifications and additions...

What the tapping is NOT:

It is not the seatbelt pillar. This is something directly involving the door and window.

It is not the 'click' you hear after using the Auto Up feature on the driver/passenger windows.

Other occurances/causes:

If playing a song with a good deal of bass (causing the door woofers to really throw out some vibrations), the rattling will happen much more readily. The bass rumbling is not enough to cause the rattle alone, but instead the rattle will happen more frequently at lighter bumps or weight-shifts than without the bass going.

I'd normally say it is something in the door, but the propensity for it to happen more often when it is COLD outside leads me to believe it is the fit of a seal against the window, or something that would fit 'better' when warmer (because materials expand when warm, duh).

Hmm. Hmm. Hmm...
all good ideas and observations, but for us newbies, what is the big N doing to remey this??? like i stated above, 607 miles only... (not even two tanks of fuel) an its a regular player(occurance) in my car....

i tried tightening the screw behind the SRS boxout(panel), to no avail....

S

***edited to correct spelling and clarity***

ps- my "d" key oftentimes sticks, and makes my posts horrid; i apologize!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
esemes said:
all good ideas and observations, but for us newbies, what is the big N oing to remey this??? like i stated above, 607 miles only... (not even two tanks of fuel) an its a regular player in my car....

i tired tightening the screw behinf the SRS boxout, to no avail....

S
Esemes, maybe it's just me...but...what are you saying?

Doom, yo! Thought you left us or something! Welcome back. That thread about removing the door panel and making the adjustments is something I would try if the dealer couldn't fix the problem. See this thread to get prepared for your dealer visit. I would make them ride with me to "replicate" it.

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Enforcer said:

Esemes, maybe it's just me...but...what are you saying?

Doom, yo! Thought you left us or something! Welcome back. That thread about removing the door panel and making the adjustments is something I would try if the dealer couldn't fix the problem. See this thread to get prepared for your dealer visit. I would make them ride with me to "replicate" it.

Enf-

i will try the dealer, and soon...... they have misled me on the XM(left me an apology on my voicemail, correcting themselves to say i need to buy a receiver, and some 'wires' to have xm...), forgotten my cargo net (on my window sticker,so i know i get one), and get this..........

they told me to 'feel free' to switch INTO AWD, by pushing the lockout button.... and at any speed, on any surface..... (this goes 100% against the OM)

i was told my MO is FWD until i punch the lockout button.... thence making it AWD...

cripes... i have derailed this thread, and gotten off topic, so im sorry.....

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
LOL!

np, we have a thread on infamous dealer quotes. Their stupidity never ceases to amaze me. Well, you read the manual so you know the deal with the AWD Lock. Any surface yes, but only locks them under 18mph.

You know, since they admit to misleading you on the XM...:D

Let us know how it turns out with the dealer.

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Enforcer said:
LOL!

np, we have a thread on infamous dealer quotes. Their stupidity never ceases to amaze me. Well, you read the manual so you know the deal with the AWD Lock. Any surface yes, but only locks them under 18mph.

You know, since they admit to misleading you on the XM...:D

Let us know how it turns out with the dealer.

ADMIT ON VOICEMAIL nonetheless.......

and what timing, i jus got the NNA questionaire in the mail today....

between the window pop, the XM flop, and the dealer slop, i gotta lot to discuss..... (but will give the ealer a chance to first make me feel better....then its time to stirr the pot)

has anyone won out on the xm scenario (or lack thereof)???

id love to know how, or what tool they used to initiate this.....

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nah, I'm still kickin' around ;)

Had some traveling to do, so I fell off in both forums. Back now.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will mention it to them when I bring it in for 7500 mile service, Tuesday morning. I'll try to schedule a saturday appointment for them to have the vehicle and drive it, or at least go out with me. Saturday appointments are like gold and the next one is probably a month from now ;)

The good news is that with it getting colder out (throughout the day, not just in the morning) it will be much easier to hear this thing and hopefully diagnose it.

L

·
0 Posts
I also have had this problem since day one. My rattling has become more noticeable also since it has gotten colder. I have a couple of rattles but my major rattle is exactly in the windows. It only occurs when the windows are fully up. I have been lowering the windows just slightly to avoid the rattling. It seems to help. I have talked to the dealer and they said that they can adjust the window so it doesn't close as tightly. I don't know if it will leak but they said that they were aware of this problem. I'll let you know what happens. My Saturday appt is in 3 weeks!

·
4,664 Posts
Enforcer said:
Well...at least they admitted it and didn't try to :bsflag: their way out of it.

Jaak is the expert, he might know...Jaak?

I'd at least make them sweat. Might get a radio harness out of it instead of buying it from Grubbs.
I haven't heard of any more on XM. I suspect it is what it is, and Nissan is content to supply the parts through Infiniti dealers. Really silly, as they must think we're morons if we truly believe Infiniti is anything more than an different label for high end Nissans.
:rolleyes:

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
jaak said:

I haven't heard of any more on XM. I suspect it is what it is, and Nissan is content to supply the parts through Infiniti dealers. Really silly, as they must think we're morons if we truly believe Infiniti is anything more than an different label for high end Nissans.
:rolleyes:

today, over the phone, my dealer told me he was gonna try and find the g35 receiver at a dealer cost, and ifso, BUY IT FOR ME... along WITH the harness......

anyone have a part number???? or, anyone know if grubbs offers a dealer discount??

heres to hopin!!!:blahblah:

·
Registered
78 Posts
window rattle

ALL MO's have this problem. It is intensified during periods of colder weather as a direct result of material contraction due to temperature and a window that is already "ill' fitted. Summertime driving will not be as noticeable as materials expand with temperature.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Re: window rattle

pat said:
ALL MO's have this problem. It is intensified during periods of colder weather as a direct result of material contraction due to temperature and a window that is already "ill' fitted. Summertime driving will not be as noticeable as materials expand with temperature.
Pat, is this a Nissan-known issue and do they have a fix? I have this exact same problem. After Doom's post I started listening more and it is the window rattling and since it has been in the 40's here overnight it is getting worse.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Has there been any new findings with this? I didn't think much about it but I had some window noises with the window down when first starting to move. Not very loud but unexpected with a new car.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glad to see this problem is still as widespread as I first thought it was...

Not that it is a good thing, just a good thing to know I'm not alone :p

These 44 degree mornings make my commute a rattling mess. Sigh. Other than this, my MO is great. Those heated seats RULE!

1 - 20 of 511 Posts
About this Discussion
510 Replies
110 Participants
jameswdj96
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing