Nissan Murano Forum banner

441 - 460 of 513 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
From what has been posted in this thread I've concluded that the the best approach to resolving the door tics is to completely remove the inner doorskin and cover (drape) the entire door with synthetic felt before replacing the doorskin over the felt layer.
Placing foam at only certain points will only alter the way the door sits and probably cause a different tic in another location. When the weather warms I'll be doing this.
In the A pillar rattle thread I posted a fix using felt and it worked and continues to work perfectly. Felt is king.:4:

·
Registered
282 Posts
I used to have felt just at the top of both front doors. Kinda like the business card trick. It still works on the passenger door. The driver door was, of course, worse. I took it to the dealer last year. Heres a picture of their fix. It actually worked pretty good until recently. I guess the material has compressed too much.

Tonight I used a credit card to wedge in a strip of felt. You can see it peeking out the edge of the panel. The squeak is finally gone!

·
Registered
265 Posts
FINALLY!! I now have the passenger side door panel in and so far so good. Normally every morning I hear the door rattling and since i had it installed yesterday it has quit. Cross your fingers for me!! Now all i have to do is verify if that squeaking in the back is from my spare.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Mo dale, I cant see your pictures. Just a red X

Ditto that Jim04

Bob1

·
Registered
282 Posts
The server crash has affected my recent photo posts. Please visit my Gallery and see "Dealer Fix for Squeak" and "Door Felt." They're currently at the top of the gallery.

Thanks! :)

bob1 said:
Mo dale, I cant see your pictures. Just a red X

Ditto that Jim04

Bob1

·
Registered
51 Posts
Dealer refused to apply above TSB to my 04. They did add a little felt tape to the door panel. Noise is a worse now.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Jim04 said:
Dealer refused to apply above TSB to my 04. They did add a little felt tape to the door panel. Noise is a worse now.
Did they apply the felt under the edge of the panel like in my picture? What I found, in my case, was the edge of the panel was rubbing against the door, making the dreaded squeak. Also, how I put the felt in place made a difference. I put the piece in doubled over. I'm pretty sure I remember just having it one layer thick and the panel could still move enough that it made a rubbing noise (this time caused by the felt instead of the panel edge). Also , I've wondered about cutting a piece of rubber tubing length-wise to place along the panel edge. That might make for enough friction to stop the movement, or it will give us a whole new noise.

I forgot to mention that a few weeks earlier, I placed a piece of foam next to one of the panel clip points. I always thought it was the problem, but it didn't make a difference. I "borrowed" a pic from Kris' earlier post and added a Yellow box where I placed the foam (on the driver door). His Post shows all the foam he added.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Forgot the "borrowed" picture

The Yellow box shows where I added a piece of foam tape (to driver door).

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
From my understanding, this was the orginal fix for my problem and that didn't work. I'm really surprised they are still doing that, but I guess it could be cheaper. From what the Service Manager told me is that now they have the door panels with the foam belt on, which is what is now on my doors. Not a peep as far as I know.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Rattle

IMO the dealer is going to do bare minimum. I took mine in for front rattle, and suggested that I heard it coming from the rear as well. Of course they could not duplicate the rear rattle and did not fix the front, at least not to my satisfaction anyway. I think everyone who has fixed this rattle themselves is way ahead of the curve. I may take the panels off myself and do it as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
MO Dale said:

Did they apply the felt under the edge of the panel like in my picture? What I found, in my case, was the edge of the panel was rubbing against the door, making the dreaded squeak. Also, how I put the felt in place made a difference. I put the piece in doubled over. I'm pretty sure I remember just having it one layer thick and the panel could still move enough that it made a rubbing noise (this time caused by the felt instead of the panel edge). Also , I've wondered about cutting a piece of rubber tubing length-wise to place along the panel edge. That might make for enough friction to stop the movement, or it will give us a whole new noise.

I forgot to mention that a few weeks earlier, I placed a piece of foam next to one of the panel clip points. I always thought it was the problem, but it didn't make a difference. I "borrowed" a pic from Kris' earlier post and added a Yellow box where I placed the foam (on the driver door). His Post shows all the foam he added.
They only added felt tape to the area that people were putting the business cards, top back corner. TSB NTB03-109 clearly shows felt tape being placed along top of panel at the window or under the waist molding, thats where you say it should be. But Tech refused to apply the TSB to my Murano saying it didnt apply to my build date. TSB also shows felt tape being added around all 8 metal tabs holding waist molding in place. Then it shows felt tape being placed on upper door panel supports, then removing and re-glueing lower anti-intrusion foam block, then adding felt tape to armrest support, then to door latch lever support and finally to top rear edge of door panel( which was only thing they did).
The TSB has very good instructions and with very detailed photos showing exactly where to add felt or foam tape.
What is the white foam you added and where did you get it?
Also since dealer will not fix this I am thinking of giving it a try myself. I have downloaded the service manual and have the photo of the door panel with the 3 screws that must be removed. I see how to get to 2 of them, but I dont know how to get to the one behind the manual lock, any ideas?? How careful do you have to be with the panel clips, do you just pull or do you use a screwdriver to pry them out. This seems it could make things worse if I damaged the clips. Thanks for any info

·
Registered
51 Posts
simplesb said:
From my understanding, this was the orginal fix for my problem and that didn't work. I'm really surprised they are still doing that, but I guess it could be cheaper. From what the Service Manager told me is that now they have the door panels with the foam belt on, which is what is now on my doors. Not a peep as far as I know.
How difficult was it to get your SM to get you the new door panels and do you have any part #s?? Where they the panels for the 05s??

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mo Dale, where did you get the black felt that you wedged in witha credit card to fix your noise?? and did you add the white foam like in the borrowed picture?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Jim04

Sorry to hear the noise got worse and dealer is not being the most helpful. Makes one appreciate having a good service department around. But, I find it quite satisfying to do stuff myself when I can. It helps us learn more about our MOs, too.

The foam is standard weatherstripping 3/4"w x 5/16"d. Aside from leaving the dealer fix in place, I only added foam next to the clip hole where I put the yellow block in the borrowed picture. Unfortunately, this didn't help in my case.

I got the felt at JoAnn's. It comes in individual sheets (about 8x12") for less than $1.00. You can probably find some at any craft store.

The Muthco instructions have great directions and pictures for removing the door panel. I have learned to pop the side clips first, starting from the bottom. There are two orange clips at the very bottom of the door. You don't have to pop them. Once the sides are released, just lift up off the clips and the top of the door panel frame. I haven't had any trouble with clips breaking, except for one orange clip before I knew you leave it in and lift up. The weatherstrip at the bottom is loosely attached, so it might hangup a little on the clips, but it won't cause you much trouble.

[Edit] From my post in Heated Mirrors: "BTW - I followed Muthco's instructions for removing the door panel. They show using a screwdriver to lift out the window switch panel. I suggest working the screw driver in under the panel at the front part by the grab handle. I made the slighest dent where they show (maybe I wasn't in the exact spot). It's one of those "I'll always know, but nobody else will" things."

Good luck! Let me know if I can help further.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Re: Jim04

MO Dale said:
Sorry to hear the noise got worse and dealer is not being the most helpful. Makes one appreciate having a good service department around. But, I find it quite satisfying to do stuff myself when I can. It helps us learn more about our MOs, too.

The foam is standard weatherstripping 3/4"w x 5/16"d. Aside from leaving the dealer fix in place, I only added foam next to the clip hole where I put the yellow block in the borrowed picture. Unfortunately, this didn't help in my case.

I got the felt at JoAnn's. It comes in individual sheets (about 8x12") for less than $1.00. You can probably find some at any craft store.

The Muthco instructions have great directions and pictures for removing the door panel. I have learned to pop the side clips first, starting from the bottom. There are two orange clips at the very bottom of the door. You don't have to pop them. Once the sides are released, just lift up off the clips and the top of the door panel frame. I haven't had any trouble with clips breaking, except for one orange clip before I knew you leave it in and lift up. The weatherstrip at the bottom is loosely attached, so it might hangup a little on the clips, but it won't cause you much trouble.

[Edit] From my post in Heated Mirrors: "BTW - I followed Muthco's instructions for removing the door panel. They show using a screwdriver to lift out the window switch panel. I suggest working the screw driver in under the panel at the front part by the grab handle. I made the slighest dent where they show (maybe I wasn't in the exact spot). It's one of those "I'll always know, but nobody else will" things."

Good luck! Let me know if I can help further.
Thanks for the link to photos on removing door panels, thats what I needed. I fell more confident going for it now. Mo Dale I must ask because of the quote above, after adding all the felt and foam, is your noises gone?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Jim04

Jim04 said:

Thanks for the link to photos on removing door panels, thats what I needed. I fell more confident going for it now. Mo Dale I must ask because of the quote above, after adding all the felt and foam, is your noises gone?
You are very welcome, Jim! You can do it! The Muthco instructions were a great help to me. It's what started the plan to add heated mirrors.

Driver Door: It's been two full weeks since I put in the felt strip, and not one squeak from the driver door. It's been great! :)

Passenger Door: Still good since adding felt at the top corner last summer. However, in the past couple days, I did notice when someone was riding with me it squeaked a little. I found they liked to wedge their arm along their side and against the armrest, forcing it to rub a tiny bit. So, I may go ahead and add a piece of felt to make sure it stays quiet when somebody sits there.

Let us know how it is after you're done. Silent, I hope!

441 - 460 of 513 Posts