Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone knows the statistics of theft for the Nissan Murano. Is it one of the more or less stolen vehicles in North America? Is it safe to leave a new Mo sitting out in the driveway or should I keep it in the garage for a while (till it's not new anymore).
My husband had his Seville stolen out of our driveway 1 day after he brought it home and never got it back, so I'm a bit paranoid. By the way I don't live a in a bad part of town either!

·
Registered
792 Posts
I haven't heard of a Murano being stolen. It certainly doesn't mean that they haven't been stolen but I'd think with the number of people here and on Fresh Alloy someone would hear about it.

It might be something to ask your insurance agent. I'm sure they are aware of theft stats.

On a side note - I thought Canada had fewer gun control laws than the US. Maybe I'm just use to being in ultra-liberal Illinois where guns are only available to those who steal them :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a very good idea about asking the insurance agent, however the Seville that was stolen wasn't high on the theft ladder. It actually was an inside job. Someone at Cadillac saw the paperwork that the car was going out and made a copy of the key and the address. Which explains why the dog didn't bark and the theft deterant sounds and lights didnt go off. But the police didn't discover that till many months later when the idiot was caught still driving around in it.

As far as the guns go. I can't say I'm sorry that I dont own one. Law or no law that is not my choice. I'd rather collect from the insurance company than kill or hurt someone for a car.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
ella138 said:
the Seville that was stolen wasn't high on the theft ladder. It actually was an inside job. Someone at Cadillac saw the paperwork that the car was going out and made a copy of the key and the address. Which explains why the dog didn't bark and the theft deterant sounds and lights didnt go off. But the police didn't discover that till many months later when the idiot was caught still driving around in it.
WOW, that's now a bold thief.

Imagine, leasing a caddy for the cost of a key. (dealer cost no less)

How many months did he have your car?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW, that's now a bold thief.
Imagine, leasing a caddy for the cost of a key. (dealer cost no less)
How many months did he have your car?

He had it for about a year. But the stuff in the car was obviously never recovered.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would you mind starting a thread of your own to discuss guns please. This was not the intent of this thread. Please don't take offence, but it seams to have gone off on a tangent unrelated to the topic intended for this thread. Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey,

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the security system in the car would keep someone from stealing it. I thought it could not be hot wired. Soooooo Unless you left the key in the car, how could someone steal it?

Yes, I'm a woman and I don't know that much about these things.

Forgive me.:eek: :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
Sorry Ella

I would think that stealing the Mo would be almost impossible....unless the dealer kept your valet key or the copy...which has been done and mentioned here.
Otherwise they could hookup and tow it to a place to reprogram a new key.
There, I'm back on the thread...
:)

·
4,664 Posts
There's so many Muranos in Toronto now, I wouldn' t be so worried about it. I've had mine here, in the west end, for over 2 years. But it's garaged. (Yes, I actually put vehicles in my garage instead of dumping junk in it!)

Makes it a lot warmer to get into, in the winter, as well....

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The coded key immobilizer makes the Murano more difficult to steal, but the code is not unbreakable. More likely you will the victim of vandalism (although I don't know who would want to steal the BOZE audio system) or a determined thief might just put it up on wheeled dollies and tow it away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts