Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a very amusing chain of emails with the "Resale Manager" over here at Stevens Creek Nissan in San Jose CA, where I purchased my Murano about 1.5 years ago:

Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 2:39 AM
To: Carl Merritt

August 02, 2005

Dear Carl,

My name is Doc Whitmore, I'm the Resale Manager at Stevens Creek Nissan.

Due to a recent expansion of our Resale Department, we have an immediate need for your 2003 Nissan Murano and will pay full Kelly Blue Book value (less any necessary reconditioning costs) for your car!

If you are thinking of selling your vehicle, or are considering trading it in for one of our fabulous new vehicles, please contact me right away!

No gimmicks! We really need your Murano! Don't miss this great opportunity! Call me at 408-983-5900 to set up an appointment to have your vehicle inspected. We must inspect it in person.

Sincerely,

Doc Whitmore
Stevens Creek Nissan
4855 Stevens Creek Blvd
Santa Clara, Ca 95051
408-983-5900

----------

Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 10:09 AM
To: '[email protected]'

Is that full KBB "Trade In" or "Retail" value?

-Carl

----------

Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 3:47 PM

Now carl. If I paid you retail.. How could I turn around and sell it for a profit?? I would offer the trade in value for your murano. Thanks and I hope it works for you.

Doc.

----------

Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 4:38 PM
To: '[email protected]'

Now Doc, you and I both know "Trade In" KBB already cuts several K off the value for dealer reconditioning. To offer me "Trade In" KBB "less any necessary reconditioning costs" because you "really need" my Murano is at best a humorously bad deal and at worst a very disingenuous proposition. Thanks, but no thanks.

-Carl

:rolleyes: :D

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Beautiful. Perfect way to put them in their place.

·
Registered
545 Posts
This gimmick is as old as the hills. I got a letter from my dealership stating that they needed my Murano because they were short on used vehicles for their inventory.

Someone over in the FA forums had a Mazda and received the same sort of letter. All that was needed was to substitute Murano for Mazda and the letters were identical.

I printed off the Mazda letter and took that and my Nissan letter in to the dealership and made them squirm a bit. After a short while, the salesman said I hadn't paid enough off on my lease to make it worthwhile for either of us. It's just a ruse to lock you in to a longer leasing period or buying another MO and keeping you locked in to Nissan.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I got a similar letter about a year ago. Avoid Stevens Creek Nissan - that place is run by crooks.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, if by "crooks" you mean car salesmen, then yes, you're right. I wouldn't see them in any worse light than any other average dealer. I mean, I did get my 2003 from them for a few hundred under invoice which was very nice, but it did take several hours of haggling to do it :D .

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
MightyMo said:
Well, if by "crooks" you mean car salesmen, then yes, you're right. I wouldn't see them in any worse light than any other average dealer. I mean, I did get my 2003 from them for a few hundred under invoice which was very nice, but it did take several hours of haggling to do it :D .
I purchased my Maxima from Stevens Creek, and got a decent price. However, when I returned for service, I had to wait nearly 30 minutes before a service advisor spoke with me (while people behind me in line were attended to). The second time I returned for a warranty related issue (water in headlights, and HVAC fan started ticking) they said it was "normal" and refused to fix it. While they might have decent prices, they sure made my ownership experience awful.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2005 7:16 AM
Subject: RE:Doc at Nissan.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Carl;

I beg to differ with you. I just pay the market value through both KBB and Manhime auto auction. I just paid 1k over wholesale book for a Altima because it needed almost nothing and the car was almost showroom condition. The maintaince book was perfect and all I had to do was detail and smog the car. Click, and it was on my front line. Yep I asked all the money for the car and got it. Who knows what the real money is till is see it. Hey, lets face it. Today's market changes like the stock market. Its up and down... Well right now I need Nissans like I need air to breath... No worries. If its not your cup of tea. Then lets move on. Just thought you might like to move up or out of the Nissan. Thanks anyways. If you should choose a diff model other then the Nissan, give me a shot at the Nissan. Thanks again.

Doc.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
MightyMo said:
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2005 7:16 AM
Subject: RE:Doc at Nissan.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Carl;

I beg to differ with you. I just pay the market value through both KBB and Manhime auto auction. I just paid 1k over wholesale book for a Altima because it needed almost nothing and the car was almost showroom condition. The maintaince book was perfect and all I had to do was detail and smog the car. Click, and it was on my front line. Yep I asked all the money for the car and got it. Who knows what the real money is till is see it. Hey, lets face it. Today's market changes like the stock market. Its up and down... Well right now I need Nissans like I need air to breath... No worries. If its not your cup of tea. Then lets move on. Just thought you might like to move up or out of the Nissan. Thanks anyways. If you should choose a diff model other then the Nissan, give me a shot at the Nissan. Thanks again.

Doc.
Wow thats a first time. I've never heard of a Nissan salesman try to convince a customer to move away from Nissan. LOL!!! :D

Thats Stevens Creek Nissan for ya.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Lease Returns + Employee Pricing = Used Car Glut!

Folks,

What I find MOST disingenuous about this salesperson, is the fact that he says he NEEDS used Nissans. I mean, today's used car prices are falling like my own arches, because of lease returns and the big 3 employee pricing discounts. BTW, the "sad" thing about these kinds of deceptive marketing ploys, is that they only do the because the work!

There's no accounting for the lack of reason that the "majority" of car buyers exert out there.

Regards,

Big

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just got a letter yesterday from Steven's Creek Nissan. It says they will pay %10 over trade-in KBB value for my Mo (minus reconditioning costs of course), plus give employee pricing on a new Nissan, plus %1 financing (with good credit), plus $3K back on select models.

Sounds like they are desperate to have Mos to sell and desperate to sell everything else on the lot. Not a good sign for Titan/Armada/Pathfinder/XTerra/Frontieer sales numbers this quarter me thinks...

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
They probably had a bad April and May and are looking to salvage the fiscal quarter with a strong June. They are hoping this gimmick will bring people in. The sad thing is it will probably work.

I am glad you resurrected this thread because I enjoyed reading your email exchange with your dealer last year. Very entertaining.

-njjoe

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I must admit I am occationally tempted by a Pathfinder...more seating, more off roading, more towing...but way less fun factor to drive.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
MightyMo said:
I must admit I am occationally tempted by a Pathfinder...more seating, more off roading, more towing...but way less fun factor to drive.
Hey Carl, if you ever decide to go that route, dibs on your MO's armor platings......:D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts