Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I tracked my MO!
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here's the June 4th secret.

Just over the weekend 15 of my friends and I rented Shannonville Racetrack here in Ontario.

Clicky Clicky for Website

We rented the 'Nelson' track from 5:30PM - 9:30PM.

Overall my Murano performed a lot better than I thought it would under such conditions ... did about 27 laps that day.

Let me put it this way ... on turns I could do about 62km where my friends slighty modifed Mazda3 could take the turn @ 70+km whereas a Subaru WRX with suspension work, and Potenza S03 tires could do the very same turn at about 80+km.

That gives you guys brief idea how the Murano compares. In the straights the Murano absolutely pulls, with the CVT screaming like a crazed Banshee ... but turns were a whole different story ... EARLY BRAKING were the words of the day.

But I was still suprized at the level I could take corners at before ROLLING the damn thing! haha

Overall it was a damn sweet day .................. very satisfied!

Oh yeah ... some teaser pictures: (Video will follow shortly, once it gets hosted)

Oh yeah ... just for $hits and giggles ... I did about 3 laps with my Audio on level 22 and my 2X 10" Infinity woofers cranked ... people said it hilarious to hear the bass as I rounded the track!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Too funny... it was the only Cross over there. Can't wait to see the video... with sound I hope.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Too sweet. Wish I could have been there.

I noticed with the stock tires that it was fairly easy, if you were smooth enough, to get them to slide even on dry pavement. Since "upgrading" to the Toyo's, I haven't been able to do that at all, and I bet you could increase your corner speeds a bit. :D

·
I tracked my MO!
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SGT said:
That looks like a lot of fun. Was your Murano on AWD at all ?
It was TONS of fun ... but there were definitely times I thought the MO was gonna roll! :eek:

Yeppers ... basically it was WOT out of every single turn ... with our crappy tires they slipped ... so AWD kicked in lots during the day!

·
4,601 Posts
I'd love to do something like that, but with a vehicle that I wouldn't be upset about writing off... You roll it on a race track and your insurance company will just tell you "That's too bad!".

Good to see no one trashed their car!

It's a heck of a lot of fun doing that. I took my 1975 Kawasaki H1 500 around Mosport a few times... (In 1975) That sure was a lot of fun!

·
I tracked my MO!
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jaak said:
I'd love to do something like that, but with a vehicle that I wouldn't be upset about writing off... You roll it on a race track and your insurance company will just tell you "That's too bad!".

Good to see no one trashed their car!

It's a heck of a lot of fun doing that. I took my 1975 Kawasaki H1 500 around Mosport a few times... (In 1975) That sure was a lot of fun!
Hehe ... well thats why you gotta know your limits. A bunch of my friends are track veterans and I've been to Shannonville a number of times before! It was a flawless day ... only one friend spun out the entire day ... and it wasn't even a complete spinout! hehe

Just wanted to see how my Murano would compare to my previous Maxima!

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Looks like fun! I want to take my MO to skid school and to the track sometime, primarily to see where its limits are and how it handles at and over those limits. But I'm still arguing with the wife about it. She doesn't like the idea of me "beating the crap out of my new car, that we just spent so much money to get!" :rolleyes:

·
4,601 Posts
I agree with her, you want to beat the crap out of the skid school's car instead... It's fun.

I also went on driver training in my company car at the last company. We got to beat the crap out of their car too. That was also a lot of fun. Being paid to drive their car as hard as possible.

They had us do a course at the end of the day, as fast as we could, just for fun. The instructors raced. I beat all their times, but I nicked one of the cones, so I was penalised 30 seconds and came in about 4th. Considering the hundreds of cones, I wasn't too worried.

I'd love to take my Murano on the track at Shannonville. I'm not worried so much about my abilities as I am someone else's! As long as they don't lose it near me, I'm cool with them doing whatever they want!

Too bad the Murano won't wheelie.... I really miss that....:(

·
I tracked my MO!
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jaak said:
I'd love to take my Murano on the track at Shannonville. I'm not worried so much about my abilities as I am someone else's! As long as they don't lose it near me, I'm cool with them doing whatever they want!

Too bad the Murano won't wheelie.... I really miss that....:(
Exactly ... the only reason I even considered taking the MO on the track this time was the fact that there was no one there that I didn't know. My best buddies and 2 cousins were included in that 15 person group. We made SPECIFIC rules that we spaced the cars out at least 10 seconds apart and no tailgating ... and no passing unless the slower car allowed.

So it was a safe controlled enviroment ... since we all took turns as marshals as well!

Maybe you should join us next time Jaak, I'd love to have another MO on the track with me proving to the Honda's what the VQ is all about! haha! :)

-E

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
so uhhh how dirty were the rims with brake dust by the end of the day. i see that accord coupes front rims were pretty dirty.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Empz said:

Maybe you should join us next time Jaak, I'd love to have another MO on the track with me proving to the Honda's what the VQ is all about! haha! :)

-E
Let me know next time, and I'll definately get in on that. Hopefully I'll have the ECU upgrade by then too. :D

I should have figured it out when you said you where going to Shannonville though. :)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
hey tyler, looks like you got beef with my signature image haha

·
I tracked my MO!
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep ... front rims became a "Gun Metal" color by the end of the day! haha

A mix of D and Ds ... didn't want to put any more stress on an already stressed CVT.

Track was 1.80km long, on the straight away I was able to take the MO to about 135-140km ... but the turn right after the straight could only be taken at 110km in the MO.

As for eating me in turns with a SE ... haha only one way to prove it!

-E

·
4,601 Posts
Empz said:

I'd love to! And maybe I'll finally meet Tyler.... I told him I'd buy him lunch when he was in town this weekend, but it was the weekend from hell, so it just didn't happen. (strike two, eh Tyler!)

Me? I'll go around in L... I've already taken it up to 120 km/h in L from a stop light on to a highway. (Anyone know of stiffer sway bars for the Murano?):D

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Maybe we should attempt to organize a Murano day. The only problem I see is that we won't get 15 people, and the track rental is pretty expensive.

·
I tracked my MO!
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tyler_Canada said:
Maybe we should attempt to organize a Murano day. The only problem I see is that we won't get 15 people, and the track rental is pretty expensive.

Haha Murano day sounds cool ... but even if we don't get 15, I could always get a few of my friends (those willing to track with a bunch of SUVs) to fill up the other spaces!

-E

·
I tracked my MO!
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cryogenix said:
I wouldn't worry too much about stressing the CVT. I'm in sunny CA and drive in Ds all the time at all speeds, as long as there are obstacles to pass and corners to attack. I'd be willing to bet I've pushed this tranny harder than any MO owner out there, and it performs flawlessly.

I still dislike the gradual acceleration off the line during moderate pedal pressure, and sometimes I get over-excited about someone beating me off the line, and nearly floor it, which only seems to make MO go slower. I always have to keep in mind that once the proper RPMs are attained, it's rocket time! I'd love to find a way to divert some of the A/C into the CVT guts, since it DOES seem more responsive and ignitable in colder temps. During hotter times, things are a bit drawn out, like the whole system yawns and stretches while trying to accelerate; the punch and kick and pop of power are not as intense as they are during colder temps. Early morning drives are the best...

BTW, as for cornering and excessive braking, I've found that (Ds mode only) if I'm heading fast into a corner and let off the gas, then give the gas pedal a quick tap, MO drops a few gears and slows right down.
Oh man ... now look what you've done ... hahaha My buddies are planning on going again in July (gonna make this monthly) but I already said I don't think the MO could take another day of beating. But after reading your post ... I'm soooo sooo tempted!

-E

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Every time I accelerate I keep the engine on one of the 2 torque peaks for even better acceleration (and wear on the CVT). This increases the "load collective" well beyond the design intent.

I think they're a bit lower without a pop charger, but with it they're near 3100 and 5100 RPMs.

Accelerating hard from a stop in S or L also is kind of hard on the CVT, as there isn't so much of a gradual take off, although I don't do that so much anymore.

I figure drive it as hard as I can while it's under warranty (which isn't for long, I have about a month left).

What am I saying, I'll drive it like I stole it even after the warranty is up.

·
4,601 Posts
Shifted into L yesterday at 140 km/h... The Murano was quite happy to do it. (Yes, on a big empty stretch of limited access highway... I'm not nuts.) Just brought the engine rpm up a bit more than S.

I'd love to see the CVT tweaked and put in a 350Z...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts