Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread I figured would be good to list all the items we are unhappy with the Nissan Murano. When it is done, I think this is something we, as a group should email to Nissan to let them know these are some of the things we are unhappy with.
Especially with a vehicle in this price range.
Refinement should be the key when you pay this much.....IMHO

1)The wipers not working very well to clean the window would be a good start.

2)Then on to the door locks locking on you when you least expect it.

3)CVT cover issue

4)Lighting issues with fog lights and daytime running lights issue

5)Fill in yours.

Chez

·
Registered
97 Posts
6) Want trip info to remain on the display screen along with audio info. Currently remains on for a few seconds.

7) Garage door opener buttons I II III on rear view mirror should be illuminated.

8) Whatever is playing on your audio system should remain on even after key is removed from ignition and go off only when you open the door or after 10 minutes. Heck, even Chrysler minivans have this feature.

9) Wipers cannot be lifted up all the way for cleaning.

10) Compass should be placed below temperature reading on the display screen, not on rear view mirror.

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
11) b pillar rattle

12)mid-door sash tapp

13) door skin rattle

14) pas. seat jiggle/rattle

15) non nav issue (dont get me started)

sounds like little stuff, but with a rep. like NISS> i expected more

friday, i traded in my 2k3 MO with only 1800 miles on her...... NNA received daily phonecalls from me for one month staraight, without any resoltuions (they claimed i would be satisfied)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I saw on Freshalloy that he got an FX35 for his MO.

·
101 Posts
11) Make headlight mounting more secure (Headlight theft problem)*
12) Automatic headlamp control - adjustable sensitivity; smarter software so lamps are not constantly switching on/off when doing through numerous underpasses.
13) Auto-off seat heaters - Turn off when vehicle is shut down. Keeps from heating an empty passenger seat [CLARIFICATION: The switch should be a 'soft switch' so that the next time you started the vehicle, the seat heaters would be OFF until you turned them on again]
14) Auto lock doors above 10 MPH
15) Option to unlock all door with one key fob press or two (currently must press twice to unlock all)[CLARIFICATION: This can be set via the fob or the "System Setttings" menu.]
16) Correct the sudden loss of power steering issues reported in Consumer Reports and witnessed by several forum members (including me)*
17) Offer factory or dealer installed body side molding and roof top molding (to protect area between roof rails
18) Passenger side airbag off switch - For traveling with packages or a pet on that seat. Would reset to 'ON' on restarts.
19) Better means of securing rear seat belts out of the way of the auto fold-down seats (current clips do not work well)
20) More durable carpetting or liner in hatch area.
21) REAL hinges on the side compartment doors in the hatch area
22) More anchors in hatch area and on hatch door itself (for holding down hatch when carrying long loads)
23) Cargo net that can also be stretched across floor of hatch area (current net is too loose when stretched over the area)
24) Rear view camera (best) or back-up sensors (ok)
25) Adjustable times on headlamp off delay (some of us have longer or shorter walks after leaving the car in the dark)
26) Better looking lighting in instrument pods (looks too retro with that orange glow)
27) Power-adjustable steering wheel position (up/down, fore/aft) - Would allow exit system to move steering wheel up and out of the way on exit, and return it when starting vehicle. Would also link to preset buttons/fob for different drivers.
28) More (i.e., better) audio/video system options
29) Right side mirror that moves down when in Reverse (for parking convenience)

Most of these are suggestions for improvements. The items with the "*" are serious problems that Nissan MUST correct. I'm an industrial designer by trade and it's my job to notice design flaws, improvements, and ergonomics. I also realize that if all these were met, you would have an Infiniti, not a Nissan. And don't get me wrong! I still love my MO!! :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think we should differentiate between things we think are problems and things that are just our opinions (e.g. esthetics comments) As well, by unhappy do we mean its something Nissan did wrong with the Murano or something that we wish the Murano had.

Anyway,

-I dont remember an "auto-lock once moving" feature on 2004s.

-And the seat-heater does turn off once the car is off but turns back on if the car is turned on later with the heater button in "on" setting.

-I personally like the one-press unlocks driver only, two-presses unlocks all feature. But I dont remember this being different on 2003s...correct me if Im wrong.

-I would like the turn-signal stalk to be lighted. I hate trying to find the fog-lights switch in the dark and accidentally adjusting the headlights from auto to off to on etc. Had this happen yesterday and I had to use the reading lights to find out what headlight setting I was in.

-I also want the guage lighting control to be separate from the instrument lighting controls because the intrusment lights are too dim when the guages are just right. Have the instrument lights be controlled through the center screen.

-If the right mirror was to move when in reverse I would like this to be something that could be turned off. I rather move my head around during parking to get a better view. During cold winters, I wouldnt want the mirror gears/motor do be damaged when the mirror is frozen over.

-A backup sensor would be nice though given the high rear window.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
A couple of items I think that can be improved, that no one has mentioned yet:

1) the power outlets are very inconvenient - how about putting one within reach of the driver? the center console plug requires the door to be open, thats also pretty inconvenient - and the rear power outlet does not operate with the engine off. I dunno about you, but I don't like leaving my keys in the ignition, you never know who can just get in and drive the car away, even if you are standing right there

2) The windshield wiper switch detents are too soft. I always end up hitting the single swipe function when I want to turn the wipers to off

3) A back up mirror would be a nice feature to have, like in the 4Runner - that is a very clever "typical Toyota" idea - i am not talking about the passenger mirror but rather a convex mirror on the rear window area

4) For a $30,000+ vehicle, the lack of MP3 support is atrocious. I guess I am just too young to be driving this kind of vehicle. Maybe Nissan assumes the older crowd that typically buys SUV's doesn't know what an MP3 is.

5) That darn metal CVT scoop

·
101 Posts
Sorry for my long list but I thought the name of the thread was "Things as consumer we are unhappy with Nissan", not "Problems we encountered". To quote the opening message by Chezman29:

"This thread I figured would be good to list all the items we are unhappy with the Nissan Murano. When it is done, I think this is something we, as a group should email to Nissan to let them know these are some of the things we are unhappy with.
Refinement should be the key when you pay this much.....IMHO"

"Unhappy" includes listing problems, but also includes suggestions for improvements on items we as owners were not pleased about in the initial design of the Murano. My list contained things I, personally, was unhappy about, aesthetic or not. There is a separate forum for problems-only lists.

Also, this list is NOT about criticizing the items submitted by others, since this list overall is targetted at Nissan. If items are erroneous or have been already addressed by Nissan, that is another matter.

Members should be free to list ANY items they are unhappy about and feel Nissan should address. Sure, every idea or suggestion will have a downside. Anybody can be negative. But it is up to Nissan to decide which ones can be implemented or not. This list is NOT an opinion poll.

And thanks to MRQ for the list of things that have been addressed by Nissan (though since ZUV18 noted some were not actually changed, who is right?). I guess Nissan, on their own, thought the isssues I noted were noteworthy enough to fix. Maybe they will get to the others we mention in due time. THAT is what this list is about!!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
First things first: I love my MO. I haven't experienced any rattles or mechanical issues yet. I love driving the thing! That said, here are my nags.....

Only One Keyhole? C'mon, freaking Tauruses have at least 3!

No Rear Window Washer Squirter.

The "Dingablility" Of The Interior Aluminum Accents. No excuse for that.

And Maybe It's Just Mine, But This Has Got To Be The Softest Paint Ever Applied To A Car. It Seem Like I Could Scratch It With My Finger.

I Want A Holder For My Sunglasses

Thats about all I can think of, as you can see, most are minor.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Did anyone list the battery? Shouldn't it have a maintenance-free battery?

·
Registered
186 Posts
All of the above...plus..

30) Fogs....I want them on when "I" want them on, no just when low beams headlights are on. I want them on when just my park lights are on, I don't want them to go off when my high beams are on. Nissan is taking the "choice" away from the driver. Also, use HIDs for all of the lights (heads, parking lights and fogs).

31) Hide that ugly muffler!! When I drive by a building with very reflective glass and look over at the reflection of my MO...I HATE that big ugly muffler hanging down below like a pregnant cow's teets!

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
dalascby said:
All of the above...plus..

30) Fogs....I want them on when "I" want them on, no just when low beams headlights are on. I want them on when just my park lights are on, I don't want them to go off when my high beams are on. Nissan is taking the "choice" away from the driver. Also, use HIDs for all of the lights (heads, parking lights and fogs).

31) Hide that ugly muffler!! When I drive by a building with very reflective glass and look over at the reflection of my MO...I HATE that big ugly muffler hanging down below like a pregnant cow's teets!
If you are talking about the intermediate muffler midway under the vehicle, every VQ equipped Nissan has that.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Forgot to add this one:

Courtesy lights for the front passengers. Map lights should also act as courtesy lights. Why should front passengers be in the dark when getting into the vehicle. Roof dome light is too far back because of the sun roof.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
MVTCFP said:

There is. Push on the windshield wiper stalk, the opposite direction of washing the front windshield.

·
101 Posts
MVTCFP said:
First things first: I love my MO. I haven't experienced any rattles or mechanical issues yet. I love driving the thing! That said, here are my nags.....

Only One Keyhole? C'mon, freaking Tauruses have at least 3!

The "Dingablility" Of The Interior Aluminum Accents. No excuse for that.

And Maybe It's Just Mine, But This Has Got To Be The Softest Paint Ever Applied To A Car. It Seem Like I Could Scratch It With My Finger.

I Want A Holder For My Sunglasses

Thats about all I can think of, as you can see, most are minor.
You can squirt washer fluid to your rear wiper by pushing forward on the wiper control stalk (i.e., towards the dashboard). This direction is opposite of pulling on the stalk to squirt washer fluid to your front wipers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
stonemaster said:
Sorry for my long list but I thought the name of the thread was "Things as consumer we are unhappy with Nissan", not "Problems we encountered". To quote the opening message by Chezman29:

"This thread I figured would be good to list all the items we are unhappy with the Nissan Murano. When it is done, I think this is something we, as a group should email to Nissan to let them know these are some of the things we are unhappy with.
Refinement should be the key when you pay this much.....IMHO"

"Unhappy" includes listing problems, but also includes suggestions for improvements on items we as owners were not pleased about in the initial design of the Murano. My list contained things I, personally, was unhappy about, aesthetic or not. There is a separate forum for problems-only lists.

Also, this list is NOT about criticizing the items submitted by others, since this list overall is targetted at Nissan. If items are erroneous or have been already addressed by Nissan, that is another matter.

Members should be free to list ANY items they are unhappy about and feel Nissan should address. Sure, every idea or suggestion will have a downside. Anybody can be negative. But it is up to Nissan to decide which ones can be implemented or not. This list is NOT an opinion poll.

And thanks to MRQ for the list of things that have been addressed by Nissan (though since ZUV18 noted some were not actually changed, who is right?). I guess Nissan, on their own, thought the isssues I noted were noteworthy enough to fix. Maybe they will get to the others we mention in due time. THAT is what this list is about!!
Im sorry if you thought I was criticizing your post. That was not my intention. I was merely stating my own opinions on suggested changes other people made. Im not saying they won't be useful to you but they just wont be useful to me or would make the vehicle worse for me.

But I disagree when you say this is not an opinion poll. If we are suggesting changes, it is based on our opinion that something could be better. My opinion might be different from other peoples opinions. For example, I could suggest the Murano should only come in hot pink, but if 99% of the people on this board disagree, that should be noted to Nissan as well. People should feel free to list any suggestions they want but they should also be prepared to receive feedback (positive or negative) about their suggestions as well.

The things I corrected from MRQs list are based on my own knowledge of our vehicle. If other 2004 owners can verify who is correct, I ask them to do so because I actually want the "autolock once moving" feature and would like to know how to activate it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have a 2004 MO and it DOES NOT have the autolocking feature...I have added a remote start that gave me the feature but it is not standard..

1 - 20 of 111 Posts