"Oh, I've wanted one …"
"I'll take whatever …"
"What's the lowest price …"
"Sure, I'll look at the numbers ..."
"I think you can do a lot better …"

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
"The problem is intermittent so I'll leave the car with your technicians for the day....."

"How many miles? Oh 36,200........."

·
Registered
631 Posts
I've also found that "you're a slimy bastard" doesn't get you the best price either. :)

I don't think I'll ever buy another vehicle from a dealership. I got my MO from carsdirect.com and that was undoubtedly the most pleasant car-buying experience I have ever had.

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
special-k said:
I've also found that "you're a slimy bastard" doesn't get you the best price either. :)
Yes, but it's often accurate and also a lot of fun when it's true.

I wonder how "How have your sales been this month?" on the second to last day, would go over.... "Who's your manager? Are they hiring? I've got a great track record on closing deals..."

·
I tracked my MO!
31 Posts
"FREEZE BEYOTCH" or "GIMME DAT FRIGGIN' SMACK" or "I'M THE POLICE"

Ooops ... You meant Car dealer ............................

·
Registered
443 Posts
Turned backwards I know, but my all-time-favorite salesman line:

"What's it gonna take to get you to buy the car today"

Even now, when I drive by a dealer with my family or friends and see those pirhanas with the white shirts and cheap ties standing out front of the showroom smoking and eye-ing their next "meal" I can't help but say it out loud :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
ok, one for the dealers....

Folks,

I'm usually against the dealers, but I have run across good ones as well. In about '83 I owned a '78 Chevy Caprice I had bought used. A basic good car, but it had developed a bad miss. I was travelling for work and this was the car my wife was driving. I took it for the week and went into a Pontiac Dealer in Wilmington, NC. I said, "it is missing, not running right, I've driven it 40K miles and don't know when the last tune up was. Take a look at it, if it needs a tune up go ahead and do it."

They called later in the afternoon. They found a cracked piece of vacuum tube on the back of the quadrajet. Total bill.... $15.

I went back several times and got excellent service.

Chuck

·
Registered
55 Posts
After haggling with a salesman for some time about a used car I was helping my father buy, I finally said to the manager "Why don't you want to sell us a car today?" Totally threw him for a loop, -- 5 minutes later we had a deal.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't think I'll ever buy another vehicle from a dealership. I got my MO from carsdirect.com and that was undoubtedly the most pleasant car-buying experience I have ever had.
I'll second that, special-k. I helped my son buy his car through CarsDirect in 2001 and bought my MO through them this time. Can't recommend them enough!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Empz said:

LOL!!!! :2:

I'm dying over here. I'm sure my co-workers are thinking, "What the heck is she up to???"

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I was laughing at that too.:D

The scary thing is, some of those, now sell cars...

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Halo said:
Turned backwards I know, but my all-time-favorite salesman line:

"What's it gonna take to get you to buy the car today"

Even now, when I drive by a dealer with my family or friends and see those pirhanas with the white shirts and cheap ties standing out front of the showroom smoking and eye-ing their next "meal" I can't help but say it out loud :D
I had someone give me this line when I was looking at Mos. I had just decided exactly what I wanted and told them to check to see if they could find it in inventory somewhere so I wouldn't have to do a factory order.

They found one that was CLOSE, and they decided that it was close enough to sell to me (yes, THEY decided, not me). So they gave me that line.

I turned it around on them:
"Since this is not the car that I am really looking for, how about you tell me what YOU are going to do to convince me to take this car off your lot."

They didn't seem to appreciate that. They wanted me to make an offer, and I wasn't about to. They finally came back with about $500 under MSRP. I laughed. That made them mad. And when I offered $2000 under invoice (my target was invoice, so when they offered about $2k over invoice, I offered $2k under) they got even more mad.

So I bought from a different dealer that actually treats their customers with respect! :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Last weekend, I helped my mom buy a new Toyota. She wanted to replace her 13 year old Camry with another Camry. She's getting older, so she asked if I would do all of the talking.

As it turned out, she liked the one on the showroom floor so it was now just a matter of price. We were getting there, but I told the salesman his numbers were just too high and maybe we'd have to go elsewhere.

Then my mom, who hadn't said more than a few words the entire time, asked "What happens when someone else is looking at the car we want?" I said not to worry, it had standard options and there'd be no problem getting the same car. We went back to negotating for a few minutes and made some progress in the price, when she asked "Does it go to the first person who wants it? I really like that car." Ugh.

Next we moved on to the trade-in phase. We decided beforehand it may be too difficult for her to sell her car herself (I live too far away), and that we would do a trade-in if we could get the right price. The salesman was low-balling the trade-in and I said we would just sell it ourselves then. He said he'd check with the manager. When he came back it looked like it was a go, but before he could speak my mom blurted out "Let's just do the trade-in." Luckily, he just laughed and gave us the price we asked for. :D

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
zofsuvs said:
Last weekend, I helped my mom buy a new Toyota. She wanted to replace her 13 year old Camry with another Camry. She's getting older, so she asked if I would do all of the talking.

As it turned out, she liked the one on the showroom floor so it was now just a matter of price. We were getting there, but I told the salesman his numbers were just too high and maybe we'd have to go elsewhere.

Then my mom, who hadn't said more than a few words the entire time, asked "What happens when someone else is looking at the car we want?" I said not to worry, it had standard options and there'd be no problem getting the same car. We went back to negotating for a few minutes and made some progress in the price, when she asked "Does it go to the first person who wants it? I really like that car." Ugh.

Next we moved on to the trade-in phase. We decided beforehand it may be too difficult for her to sell her car herself (I live too far away), and that we would do a trade-in if we could get the right price. The salesman was low-balling the trade-in and I said we would just sell it ourselves then. He said he'd check with the manager. When he came back it looked like it was a go, but before he could speak my mom blurted out "Let's just do the trade-in." Luckily, he just laughed and gave us the price we asked for. :D
This story is an example on why everyone should be buying cars the Edmunds.com way. When you deal with the Internet manager, there isn't any opportunity for those sharks (floor salesmen) to use their tactics to get you to impulse buy (such as making you think you will "lose" the car if you don't buy today). Going through the phone or net also gets you a better price off the bat, with much less hassle later on. Once you get a price over the email, fax, or phone the trade-in becomes a completely different process, since the price for the actual car is set.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I agree. But we had already decided we were going for invoice price (attained from Edmunds) and a fair trade-in price based on research. I had called around to dealerships first to see who would be most likely to get us there. The salesman wasn't using any high pressure tactics at all. It was my mom who was doing it to herself! I think the salesman understood the situation and didn't play hardball. In the end, we got the price we wanted and she's very happy with her new car. Just some examples of what NOT to say to a dealer, though. :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
By the way, I re-checked the Edmunds.com base invoice price of the exact model (Camry LE 4DR 5A) that morning. Edmunds listed it at $18,011 (and still does). Then at the dealership, the salesman showed me a printout with the base invoice price at $17,408. That's $603 less at the dealership. There was a separate $750 factory incentive, but this was not included in the base price. Both are definitely the same LE model (big "LE" on the trunk). What's interesting is, the base price he gave me was $2 off Edmunds number for the standard non-LE model. Could he really have made a mistake, or is Edmunds wrong?

Edit: KBB.com has the same $18,011. A thought, are they figuring in an average advertising fee? That was listed separately on the salesman's printout, but it didn't come to $600. And both Edmunds and the dealership listed the $540 destination charge separately.

... Nope, Edumunds says it doesn't include any advertising fee in it's prices. Really looks like a salesman error in our favor here. Hard to believe if true.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Empz said:

LMAO. That's great. :19:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts