Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have figured out why the Murano is rated at 3500lbs when my 4runner with MUCH less power had a 5000lbs rating.

Its either the CVT doesn't like it.

OR you have to buy these armature things to install a hitch from Nissan. This would SEVERELY impare the hitches abilty to handle 5000lbs due to the design of having these armatures connecting the hitch to the frame.
Its just a guess, I am not an engineer, just a [revious Master mechanic with a lot of training.

So I bet with these aftermarket that bolt straight to the frame you would have NO PROBLEM towing more than the rated #'s. Just like (I forget his handle) tows his hotrod on a flatbed, with an aftermarket hitch if I am not mistaken.

Don't take this as an open idea of towing larger loads.

Just my personal opinion when I inquired into the Nissan tow hitch and viewed the "dinky" armature things needed to install the Nissan tow hitch. I was also told by Nissan mechanics it was a lame design, a pain to install, and Nissan could have engineered something a lot easier.

Just my HO once again,
Chez

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Are you referring to the modified bumper reinforcement as the armature? Or is the armature something completely different? I am considering adding a hitch to the Murano, but was wary about doing my own installation since I saw that the Nissan kit requires you to disassemble the rear bumper as well.

·
Registered
400 Posts
DrawTite hitch is pretty easy

Consider the DrawTite hitch. It does require the removal of the muffler (4 bolts and 2 rubber mounts). After that, remove 4 bolts (12 mm) and remove the rear tie-down bracket. Then install the hitch using the 6 bolts and washers (supplied), then install the muffler again. Very straight-forward and only took 1.5 hours. (I took my time and cleaned the hitch and muffler before putting everything back on...)

Bob K.

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
The reason the MO is rated as 3500 lbs, is that it comes with (option) a CLASS 2 hitch, a class 2 hitch is rated at a maximum of 3500, .. and a class 3 is rated at 5000..

http://www.hitchesonline.com/hitch_selection.htm

I suspect the reason why a class 3 is not available is since the frame of the MO is based on the altima, and the altima is a mid sized car.. I suspect the frame is not strong enough to carry a class 3 hitch.. they just added a bigger "body" for the MO, and didn't bother to beef up the frame..

as for the MO/CT not being strong enough.. I've towed a 3200 lbs (21 foot IB boat) with no problem on the CVT.. now I wouldn't want to have to slam on the breaks, but the accel is fine if you take it easy..

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
In one of the other tow threads, there is a lot that goes into the rating, not just the hitch, but also how it is mounted - bolts, the frame, brakes, rear suspension capabilities etc.

The armature is the rear bumper, I posted pics on this in another thread. The replacement bumper has notches in it that allow the Nissan hitch to be "hidden".

·
Registered
834 Posts
The Murano is a unibody vehicle the 4-runner uses a real frame much stronger for towing.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My previous vehicle that I had was a 2002 Toyota 4runner Limited fully loaded. The price difference matches as well. Over 37k.
I wouldn't recommend towing more than your hitch is rated. If you are in an accident and are towing more than you hitch is recommended, regardless of who is at fault you could be sued for unsafe towing. I am sure it wouldn't be a pleasant experience.
The MO is a yuppie SUZ IMHO. If you need a vehicle with towing capacity I would suggest purchasing a vehicle that suits your purpose.
Just my .02.

The rating of towing capacity doesn't have anything AT ALL to do with the CVT. It has to do with the strenght and type of frame that the tow hitch connects to. Down to the type of bolts that are used to secure it. Bolts have "ticks" on top of the bolt head to depict the strength of the bolt as well. There is a LOT MORE to do with why and how they come up with a vehicle's towing capacity.
A minivan can be retrofitted with a tow hitch, and many are nowadays. That doesn't mean if it can pull it, it is safe.
Personally I error on the safe side. All it takes is one mistake to kill someone else on the road since you "thought" you could tow something only a few miles.
Most accidents occur with 15 miles of the home.
Chez

·
Registered
180 Posts
Re: DrawTite hitch is pretty easy

rtking said:
Consider the DrawTite hitch. It does require the removal of the muffler (4 bolts and 2 rubber mounts). After that, remove 4 bolts (12 mm) and remove the rear tie-down bracket. Then install the hitch using the 6 bolts and washers (supplied), then install the muffler again. Very straight-forward and only took 1.5 hours. (I took my time and cleaned the hitch and muffler before putting everything back on...)

Bob K.
Bob,

The DrawTite is the one I'm looking at, for two reasons:

1. Had one on my old Pathfinder and, other than a little rust, was very happy with it's design (looks).

2. It's the only one I've been able to find for the MO that APPEARS to be a 2" receiver; the rest are all the smaller 1 1/4" (or is it 1 1/2"). Am I reading the info correctly? Is it in fact a 2" receiver? I have a 2" receiver bike rack that I used on my Pathfinder and I want to use it again but I don't want to use adapters that will send it too far out the back.

Thanx

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: DrawTite hitch is pretty easy

rtking said:

Bob K.
Do you have any pictures of what it looks like once it's on ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts