·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi whitemo,
What model of 12w3v2 do you have? This will determine your nominal impendence (in ohms), which you will need to know when it comes time to wire the subs.

Based on your amp's specs, you are going to want to run either:

a) 2 channels (190 watts continuous) at a 2 ohm load.
or
b) 2 channels (125 watts continuous) at a 4 ohm load.

If you have the D2, then you will get to the 2 ohm load when wired in series (for a 2 sub setup). If you have the D4, then 4 ohms when wired in series. If you have the D6, i'm not sure what you would need to do (anyone know?).

To the more experienced installers out there, is what I'm saying correct?

I have a single 12w3v2-d2, which is wired in series, producing a 4 ohm load. When I first installed it, I had 150 watts continuous going to it (2 channels bridged from the 300/4 amp). It sounded ok, not great, but ok. Much better than the Bose sub. After about a year, I decided to up the stakes a bit, so I added a second amp (300/2 bridged) just for the sub. Now it sounds great. More thump and much tighter. I wish I had gone with the 2 amp setup from the start, but hey, that's life. Live and learn. It all depends on what kind of system you are looking for, and how much green you want to toss at it.

If you think you might add another amp in the future, then I would wire for it now (power and ground wires). This will make life a lot easier should you ever do it, and doesn't cost all that much more.

I hope this helps, and anyone, please correct me if I'm off base. Get it, off base.......:>)

Glenn

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
You should probably only run one of those speakers with that amp. That amp can do 380W x 1 channel @ 4 ohm. You can get close to 4 ohm with any of those speakers, but they want 300W each. You will get more volume / better sound with one of those speakers on that amp than both of them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi everyone,
well, the JL is an D4. right now it's wired in parallel, but do you think it will sould better if it's in series instead, or is there any difference?

now, i have another amp, but it's more for home systems. do you think it will work, or should i buy another amp for the second sub?

http://www.savinglots.com/lotprod.asp?item=PB810GX

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
IgnoreOne D4 wired in parallel will give you 1 ohm, which could damage the Pioneer amp. Wired in series it would be 4 ohm, which would be ideal for the Pioneer amp./Ignore

The Pyramid amp you listed would probably drive both speakers quite nicely, as it's capable of 500W x 2 channels @ 4 ohm. If you ran each speaker on one channel, you would have a nice amount of power going to each speaker.

It's ok (IMO ideal) for the amp's rated output to exceed the recommended power for a speaker. This is because:
A) Amps are rated at max output, you don't want to run at max output because of heat production and distortion, AND
B) Amps may not put out the power they are actually rated at, when placed in a "real world" system. Ratings can be faked.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Tyler_Canada said:
One D4 wired in parallel will give you 1 ohm, which could damage the Pioneer amp. Wired in series it would be 4 ohm, which would be ideal for the Pioneer amp.
I think you are mistaken here. The D4 has two 4ohm voice coils so a single speaker wired in parallel give you 2 ohms and wired in series gives you 8 ohms. Here is a link to the manual where they give you a lot of good wiring examples.
12w3v2 Manual

I agree these speakers are power hungry. In my last system I had a pair of 10w3 wired mono at 2 ohms. I was pushing them with 500-700 watts and they loved it. If you want to run both speakers I would wire them in a series/parallel combination to yield a mono 4 ohm system. Wire each speaker to self in series to create an 8 ohm speaker and then the two speakers together in parallel to yield and overall impedance of 4 ohms. Bridge you amp to get the most power possible from it. There is no real reason to run subs in stereo

Pacmo

·
Registered
78 Posts
Tyler_Canada said:

Sorry, I misread the website.

It seems JL Audio are power hungry in general. I've got 750W on my 10W7 that asks for 500W, and it sounds beautiful.
No need to apologize I just wanted to make sure whitemo and any other readers don't accidentally make a costly mistake wiring their speakers.

Yup the 10w3, 6's, and 7's are very power hungry. But they are competition subs and it takes power to move that kind of air. Their 10w0, 1's and 2's are more power friendly. They work very well on 150w or less. In fact if you push them beyond 150w it will destroy them. Ask me how I know. :D

You can't go wrong with any of JL's subs. I have been running various models in my cars since about 92. I will never buy another brand of sub.

Pacmo

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i ran the subs in parallel and got very little sounds. in series, it produced more power. i then bridge the two subs on the amp. still not as loud as it should be, even when i adjust the power up on the amp. hopefully, i didn't do it wrong. i will take some pictures soon. hope it will be right, and to see if you guys think its correct or not.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Given that you have two dual voice coil subs, you actually have 4 voice coils.

You can wire them four ways:

voice coils in series & subs in series, giving 16 ohms
voice coils in parallel & subs in parallel, giving 1 ohm
voice coils in series & subs in parallel, giving 4 ohms
voice coils in parallel & subs in series, giving 4 ohms

Did I get that right?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Tyler_Canada said:
Given that you have two dual voice coil subs, you actually have 4 voice coils.

You can wire them four ways:

voice coils in series & subs in series, giving 16 ohms
voice coils in parallel & subs in parallel, giving 1 ohm
voice coils in series & subs in parallel, giving 4 ohms
voice coils in parallel & subs in series, giving 4 ohms

Did I get that right?
Yup that is correct. However with that being said it is never recommended to wire two speakers together in series. There are several adverse effects that will result from wiring speakers in series. First since it is a linear path the signal will reach one speaker before the other and the two speakers will be slightly out of sync. This can create a strange phase effect when listening to the speakers. The second effect is more obscure and harder to explain. I will probably not do it correctly. But the general problem is that the first speaker in the series will actually generate a small amount of induced signal from its coil movement that will be transmitted to the second speaker. You can see this effect by wiring two speakers in series and then moving the cone of one speaker in and out with your hand and you will see the other cone begin to move slightly. This will also create strange phase effects when listening to them.

If you look in the user manual I posted a link to above you will see that it is ok to wire the coils on a single speaker in series but they never wire the two speakers together in series. Always parallel between two speakers. So for this particular application your choices are 1 or 4 ohm mono and 2 or 8 ohm stereo. Which ever you choose will really be up to your amp. I would say the minimum would be 300w per channel in stereo and 500w for a mono setup. Now remeber that most amp specs are for 4 ohm as the ohms drop the wattage goes up but the effiency goes down and and you produce more heat and can shorten the life of the amp.

I hope this makes sense and I haven't added to much to the confussion.

Pacmo

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Great points. I understand both points you made about not wiring 2 speakers in series.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
pacmo,

i wiried the subs just like the diagram from the manuel with two subs in series. do you suggest that i should wire one of them in parallel, and then run it parallel to the amp?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Assuming you are using the Pyramid PB810GX amp I would suggest you wire your speakers like the diagram I attached. It has the coils wired in series and the speakers wired in parallel. This will put you at 4 ohms. I would then bridge 2 channels on you amp giving you 500w by 1. Now I know this will only utilize half of you amp but I think it will be the best possible way for you to hook up your speakers to this amp.

Pacmo

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks guys, this has gotten me crazy for the past few weeks. don't know much about these things, and my friend only knew a little, so all your suggestions helped a lot. will post some picture when i'm done and when the weather clears up. rain expected for days here in nj.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Any updates yet?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sorry guys,
i've been so busy with wedding plannings that i didn't get to finish, but finally, well almost. here are some pictures. the silver amp is pioneer. the purple is pyramid. both work well, but bridging the subs was a little strange. also, that Loc 2 piece was only $30 to let me add an amp to sub. cost about a $100 overall for everying to set this up, without the amps, subs or box of course. both sound good for now, but haven't turn it up yet. give me your thoughts.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts