Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Subtitle: I really regret doing the alternator recall

I have an 04 SL AWD which has given me 32,000 largely problem-free miles. I hemmed and hawed about whether to go through the alternator recall (why fix it if it aint broke), but decided to do it a few weeks ago. Well, tonight at about 7pm I turn on the car to drive home from work and get the dreaded battery and brake lights. Thankfully, as a faithful reader of this forum I know this is the signal for an impending alternator failure, and so I high-tail it over to the closest dealer (the ones who did the recall). Though service was closed, I browbeat the sales guy into taking the car and giving me a loaner. I'm really regretting not leaving well enough alone and sticking with an alternator that had given me 30,000 troublefree miles, but live and learn. Hopefully they've got an alternator in stock and can get me my car back tomorrow.

On the positive side, it could have been much worse. I have a 70 mile commute on a thinly populated state road in south eastern Minnesota. If I hadn't known what the warning lights meant, I'd have definitely tried to drive home and likely would have gotten stranded in the middle of nowhere (onthe first cold night of the fall!) Thanks to everyone who contributes to this board and makes it just an amazing resource for us MO owners.

·
Registered
376 Posts
If that were me, I think I would be complaining very loudly on the 1-800 number to Nissan Central.

Supposedly they installed an upgraded Alternator, yet after 2/3000 miles it fails. Almost makes you think that the alternator installed was not the upgraded version. You might also want to have a frank conversation with the Service Manager in an attempt to determine what they installed.

·
5,244 Posts
I would add - witness the removal of the failed alternator as well as installation of th enew one. Write down serial numbers.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
The new alternators are not miracles.
They WILL have some failures.

Homer

·
Registered
161 Posts
Back to the headline of you post....

I have gathered a wealth of info here as well. It has not only kept me informed of issues that may come up but is has also saved me several hundreds of dollars.

Thanks to the Admin for setting it up and to the staff that runs it and puts up with us.

Is my nose brown yet?

·
Registered
6 Posts
danielg280 -

Out of curiosity, which dealer did you go to? I live in the Twin Cities and just had my recall done at Feldmann Imports in Bloomington. Based on my experiences buying the mo and with the service deptartment, I would recommend them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turns out. . . .

It was not a bad alternator. The bracket that holds the alternator failed and that caused the belt to come off (or so they tell me).

Broettge: this was at Viking Nissan in Rochester. I bought my MO from Feldman, but I work down in Rochester so it's easier to get it serviced down there. I was happy with the sales experience at Feldman, and the times I've used them for service I was pleased as well (I think the fact that they sell Mercedes as well means you get more of an upscale experience). If I worked in the Cities I would definitely use them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the brake and battery light indicating a failed alternator but when I got to the dealership they said the bracket had also failed.

It seems that this bracket has been reported breaking by others on this forum. Suspect that this may be another design problem.

Ray (up to this point owner of a 100% trouble free Murano at 55,000 miles)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts