Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I have had replace the alternator in my 2004 Murano, 4 times, this will be #5. They work for about a month maybe two and then they crap out. I’ve gotten them from O’Reilly and they have warrantied them up until now. I don’t know if they are missing something when they are being installed. I need help trying to figure out what is going on so I can suggest it when I take it in to be worked on AGAIN. Battery is new as well.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
It's hard to say what the problem is. What kind of shop is doing the work? Someone needs to look at the belt path and the mounting and make sure that the alternator's drive pulley is in line with the other pulleys and it's being adjusted properly. If the belt is too tight, it can kill the bearings in the alternator.

If nothing else, I think it's time to either get a Nissan alternator ($$) or perhaps get one from NAPA. The pros usually use NAPA parts and their quality overall is better than the discount parts stores. I use parts from Advance Auto, O'Reilly's and occasionally Auto Zone, but when it comes to alternators and starters I go upmarket to NAPA or online sources.

I also suggest that you have the charging system tested to see if the alternator is regulating the charge properly - if it's burning out from excess voltage that's a problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts