Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess what I found yesterday...wait for it...a leak location! I have been struggling with the dreaded P0101 code and intermittent performance. As my earlier posts have mentioned - lots of parts changed and work done (mind you some was for maintenance). Most recent was replacing the MAF cable harness way back. So, here is where I am going with this (may help someone out). While I was looking at my new MAF sensor after removal yesterday, I noticed pollen on one side which covered the ribbed gasket. This ain't right me thought to thy self. Then I looked at another MAF I had and noticed dirt on the same side covering the gasket...have I found an issue here me thoughts? So I put the "pollinated" sensor back in and looked at the inside of the filter housing. There was a large gap on one side that I never noticed before. Almost like it got distorted over time or just a faulty housing. Based on the this I figured this is a leak drawing in air beside/behind the MAF sensor. The P0101 code problem only started after I changed the plugs and I had removed the original MAF to clean. It may have been seated just well enough then I came along and broke that "seal". In my infinite wisdom, I decided to silicone seal my new MAF in place (yes, seal it). I plan on getting some used parts from a wrecked 2011 anyway. So I gently siliconed it, let it set then re-installed box. Drove last night - no problem. I drove this morning and some just earlier and so far so good. Of course time will tell and based on my track record with this Murano, it will not take long before the error shows up again...if it does at all.

Cheers from Canada eh!

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
You should include this in your original thread so that future readers know of your findings...

·
Administrator
9,657 Posts
Fingers crossed for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
to the op, are you saying that you had the infamous/common cracks between the ribs of / ribbing on the rubber accordion air intake boot?
No, the tube was fine. It had minor surface lines but solid. I ended up filling these areas with silicone but dont think I needed to. The location I believe is the problem is the cut out the MAF fits into the air box cover. It appears to have been leaking on one side bypassing the small ribbed gasket on the MAF. I should have taken a pic of the cover. When I looked inside it was offset. There was a gap on one side. Now, there is a little "play" before tightening the MAF. I am guessing the reason I could change the MAF and car would work ok for a little while was the placment when installing. But easy to not have a good seal with the size of the gap. It actually looked "warped" from the inside with the MAF installed. This fitting should have a tight tolerance. To test/fix this I removed the MAF gasket, applied a thin bead then re-installed. I then applied silicone to the outside of the gasket and the contact area of the MAF entry location on the cover. So far so good but time will tell. I will know if this was the issue in a few days. I should mention that I had performed a vac leak test using a method I found online but I did this after I had the modified MAF/cover installed. I did not detect any vac leaks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: The MAF "leak" did not fix the issue. It ran good for almost 2 days then stalled. I did more research before putting it up for sale (due to frustration) and came across a thread in a Maxima forum with same issue and frustration. The member checked the ground signal to the MAF (2 locations on MAF). I remember when I changed my cable out not only was the connector changed but the grounds were tied together further down the harness. Yesterday I added a heavy gauge wire to the MAF grounds. I cut both, tied together with a tap to the battery ground. I checked the resistance from battery ground before and after (ignition on/off). The resistance was pretty high with ignition on. This dropped dramatically with my new tap (short as possible). So far it is running good with 3 runs (about 10k each) today. Again, time will tell and I will report back.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far so good! I have drove vehicle many times in last 2 days since grounding MAF. My power is back and it has not stalled yet as well no code thrown...yet. Another day of driving (drive, park, drive) should reveal if the issue is still there. I plan on making a few of the other grounds more robust as well. There is a ground that I think was added running from the battery to some location I have to find. Dont think this is stock.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like my Murano is now FIXED!!! For all you with the annoying P0101 code returning this may help you too. After several weeks of frustration I think the issue has been resolved. The last 2 issues I found was some leaking at the MAF slot in the air box (siliconed my new MAF) and the kicker was the MAF grounding. The resistance was high. So, before you change out a bunch of parts clean your MAF and add a ground (tap off ground wires close to the connector) to the battery. Here is the link I used for pinout information:
I now have my power back and no stall so far.
Cheers!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like my Murano is now FIXED!!! For all you with the annoying P0101 code returning this may help you too. After several weeks of frustration I think the issue has been resolved. The last 2 issues I found was some leaking at the MAF slot in the air box (siliconed my new MAF) and the kicker was the MAF grounding. The resistance was high. So, before you change out a bunch of parts clean your MAF and add a ground (tap off ground wires close to the connector) to the battery. Here is the link I used for pinout information:
I now have my power back and no stall so far.
Cheers!
Final update for this thread: MURANO IS FIXED! I wanted to give some more driving time and post one more time as this problem was a real pain in the a$$ for weeks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts