Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I was joining the club...GRRRRR - GOT IT!

Well my wife and I made the trip to Richmond (from Williamsburg) to pick up our new Murano last night. I had spoke to my salesman at 12:30p and he said we were good to go and the car was on its way (from a remote dealer).

So we got there at 5:30p and no car. Apparently the original car was at Gaithersburg, MD, but has since been sold. They found another one at Passport in Alexandria but it had 220 miles on it already, add the 90 miles to Richmond and we are talking 310 miles before we get to drive the car. I don't mind the drivers transporting the car, my concern is those 220 miles used as test driving.

After and 1.5 hours of bickering, I left the dealer to take my wife out to dinner.

What are my options? I have an approved Nissan NMAC lease. Can I go to another dealer and get this taken care of? I just don't appreciated how we were treated last night when we went to get the car (they tried to make it my fault).

·
Registered
206 Posts
Go to another dealer and then take it by and show the Jacka$$ who tried to screw you. Just my 2cents. :cool:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have to agree. I work in the credit industry, and even tho the laws are a bit different, given a different country and so on, it isn't different in theory. Consider your lease a certified cheque for the agreed upon price for the vehicle they sold out from under you. You may wish to remind the smarmy puke who made it YOUR fault that he is loosing a sale, but why bother. Just drive in with your new vehicle to the lot, park your new Moe in a prominent position near the plate glass, and oh so causal saunter up to the service counter and inquire politely about the service intervals.

Then never darken the doors again. The only way to make the dealer hurt at this point is to deny them the business. You won't get the satisfaction of a dropped jaw, or an incredulous look, but this type of behaviour seems to be all too typical of Nissan Dealers. Lurk in here a bit longer, and you will see. Great product, crap dealers.

I would seriously consider driving a fair way to get this vehicle, it is GRRREAT! Do your shopping over the phone. I drove about 90 miles to get ours. only to find out that there was about 50km (30 mi) extra on the odometer (we bought used, so it was less a concern, but still a major slow burn with me). We also were made to feel as if it were our fault, despite the dealer having to redo the bill of sale with the CORRECT kms on it, and having the use of my $500 interest free for a week while some lot lizard presumably (worst case!) rodded the crap out of my new truck.

sigh. still a great truck, and we don't regret it, although I have yet to find a dealership that i trust short of Sudbury (7hour haul!)

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Why not just call around and find a dealer that has the car you want and just go and pick it up from them directly? They will probably try harder to earn your business because you are not local and have other options. Travelling 200 miles to get the car you want is nothing!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Your dealer has proven to be dishonest by agreeing to sell you a car they were not even certain of acquiring. I would take my business elsewhere. Like the posts above suggest, find the actual dealer that has the vehicle and get it directly from them.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I had a dealership near that neck of the woods (it was an Acura dealership) really work me over on a car they had. (The car was used.) Seems to me that in Maryland, dealerships don't mind telling customers off.

I ended up looking around the whole country (I was particular about equipment and color) and found an acceptable car up in Petaluma, California. The folks at Northbay Nissan were easy to work with and cut to a bottom line number and I ended-up buying their car right over the phone. I would fly up the following weekend to drive it home. When i got to SFO, they even had a driver waiting for me to drive me 1 hour north to their dealership! What a great experience, and the drive home was fantastic!

BTW, the dealership in Maryland? I told them, "OK, I'll buy the car." They faxed over paperwork for me to sign and kept calling (when before, they'd NEVER return one of my calls.) Finally they got a hold of me (about 3 days later) and I told them. "Oh, you caught me leaving Northbay Nissan. I just bought a Murano. Oddly enough, it's the same year and has more equipment than yours, but it has 40,000 less miles, but only $2000 more. Thanks for calling..."

I'd recommend that you find a dealership elsewhere that will work with you and be honest about earning your money. There's better dealerships out there and you can support them buy buying from them.

Bob

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I guess it goes to prove that

A great number of Car salesmen are jerks or worse.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It's such a shame
that 95% of the
salesman give the
rest a bad name!

Ken D.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So here is the scoop...

Yesterday the original dealer called and said they couldn't get another car, all they could get was the midnight blue/charcoal leather with 400 miles on it. I told them to let me think about it and then went to another dealer. The guy at the new dealer, who was amazing, called and kept each one of his promises during the day (calls back, etc).

I then called the original dealer and told him to void the deal. After coaxing, they did and I have the voided paperwork and my charge back slip for my down paymet.

I spoke to the new dealer late last night and he has the original color, setup we wanted (as opposed to our second color choice). The car is being brought to his dealership (it was at another lot owned by the same company within 40 miles). While we haven't agreed on price I have made it clear what I am willing to pay and that I have an approved Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp lease. The invoice on the new car is: 33,297, so I am good with 33,600, that is reasonable right?

I am headed there at 3p for the paperwork.

Thanks for the feedback folks. I am also filing a complaint with the BBB and Nissan Customer Relations.

Greg

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Re: So here is the scoop...

gmsmith said:
...The invoice on the new car is: 33,297, so I am good with 33,600, that is reasonable right?...
Not bad as that is only $300 over invoice. I bet you can get them lower to invoice though. Flash your checkbook and your loan approval as you state you want invoice price (and don't worry. They still make plenty of money on the MO)....:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Re: So here is the scoop...

zebelkhan said:

Not bad as that is only $300 over invoice. I bet you can get them lower to invoice though. Flash your checkbook and your loan approval as you state you want invoice price (and don't worry. They still make plenty of money on the MO)....:)
Well that is my top price :) Since it was a car at a lot owned by their parent company there should be an agreeable number very close to invoice.

Wish me luck folks...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Victory Nissan

Was the dealership Victory Nissan? I believe their headquarters is in Richmond but they have a dealership in Gaithersburg - I test drove 2 Muranos at their Gaithersburg dealership.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was indeed

The scum bag dealer in Richmond was indeed Victory. I was avoiding using any names until I had the car in hand.

I picked up my new 2006 Murano - Merlot/Cafe Latte w/Touring. There were a few extra add ons. I paid slightly above invoice at Hall Nissan in Newport News. The new car manager, the general sales manager, my salesman and the finance guy are TOP rate. Pictures coming tomorrow (with sunlight).

Greg

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Greg..welcome to the family!

Merlot is a BEAUTIFUL color indeed ;) Post pics plszzz...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Victory Nissan

I test drove 2 vehicles at their Gaithersburg Dealership (formerly Rosenthal Nissan) but I didn't buy from them because they didn't have what I wanted in stock. While I don't like a salesman who pressures too much, they were too laid back. I would have thought they would keep checking stock and call when they located one (I didn't want to factory order) but they didn't follow up. I stopped by occassionally and they'd check stock but never had a match for what I wanted. I will say that I got a real nice test drive out of it. They gave me and my wife the keys and we drove an SE/AWD and SL/AWD alone for one hour each vehicle.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We did have a nice test drive at Victory, but it was mainly because the vultures didn't want to leave the sales floor. They seemed to be turning over cars hand over fist.

Did any of you all get suckered into the paint protection, tire protection, maintenance protection? The only thing I added was the extended warrenty which made sense to me...but who knows, maybe I am out 300 bucks. :)

Greg

pictures at: http://gallery.cindandgreg.com/murano/

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Let's see...

Extended warranty... not a bad idea if it's not a lease.

Tire protection... well, maybe if it covers road hazards and is cheap enough.

Paint protection... Not necessary. The MO has a clear coat. Zaino it twice a year and it will be fine.

However, if they were to offer me UNDERCOATING then that is whole different story. :eek: I would tell them to kiss my :bootyshak and I would never set foot in that dealership again.

As bad as my experience was when I was buying my MO, it took a definite downturn when I went to pick it up. They had a "closer" who was pushing every type of extended warranty, clear coat, theft-prevention products, etc. He refused to hand over my keys and paperwork until I sat through his spiel. I told him I wasn't interested in any of it, but he refused to let up. He made it sound like I was making a big mistake by not buying everything he had to offer.

I have purchased 4 new cars in the recent past, and the Nissan dealer has been the worst experience by far.

-njjoe

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I picked up the extended warrenty for a lease (42 month) just cause for 300 bucks I don't have to worry about anything. I paid cash for it (didn't roll it into the lease).

I rejected everything else. The guy was cool, didn't spend any time pressuring, just listed everything out and asked me if I wanted anything.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts