Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the MO in today for a routine oil change (the dealer offered lifetime oil changes for $200 when I bought the car in March 2006 - pretty good deal, I thought, so I bought it). It has 13,500 miles on it now, so the service advisor said I should get the throttle body cleaning, which is normally part of the 15,000-mile service, as long as the mileage is close and I was in anyway. $100 for the cleaning! I didn't have it done. Anyone have experience with this? I don't plan on having this service done any time soon unless you guys say it's mandatory.

gibby26

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
gibby26-

Smart move. You just saved yourself $100.

Your dealer claims the throttle body cleaning is part of the 15K service? What car brand does he sell? It can't be Nissan. Because throttle body cleaning is definitely NOT part of Nissan's recommended 15K service. In fact, it is not mentioned at all as part of the periodic maintenance program.

Your dealer is trying to sell you something you definitely do not need. With only 13,500 miles on your MO the intake system is virtually brand-new. It does not need cleaning.

My dealer charges $29.95 for an oil change. So for $200 you are paying upfront for approximately 6-2/3 oil changes. Assuming two changes each year (as per Schedule 2) you break even at year 4. Using the preferred Schedule 1 plan, which averages 3 changes per year, you break even after two years.

-njjoe

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks for the info on the cleaning. I suspected it wasn't something I needed to do. But the oil changes? I drive about 3000 miles a month. At that rate I should come out ahead if I keep the car more than 8 months. And that's assuming the price stays at $30.00. The oil-change place where I take my wife's Jeep used to be $27.00, but now is $34.00 - due to oil prices.

gibby26

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
gibby26-

3,000 miles each month?! :eek: You definitely got the better end of the free-oil-for-life deal. :4: No wonder the dealer is trying to sell you snake oil.

-njjoe

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately I've learned the "hard" way that the Murano seats are fine for short drives. But spend all day on a long drive and the feeling is not unlike having been forced to sit on bleachers for eight hours. The seats (obviously in my opinion) are very hard and flat, with virtually no side bolstering to take the load off your hip bones. Very limited upward travel of the front of the seat also results in very poor thigh support. Again, drive for an hour or two and no problem. But after a 14-hour drive early in April my back was screaming. And still is bad. I've gotten a quote from a custom seat guy to rebuild the driver's seat: add more tilt to the front of the seat, add more padding along the sides, and replace the rock-hard foam in the center of the seat cushion with softer foam. Sit in a Maxima seat and you'll see what I'm after - good side and thigh support. Or better yet, sit in any American SUV seat. Nissan has great engines and build quality (although mine's been back for five different defects so far), but they could surely learn a bunch from the Americans on how to make good seats.

gibby26

1 - 5 of 5 Posts