Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried any of those throttle controllers to improve throttle response? I love my '15 Murano SV but like others have said, the throttle response is heavily delayed. I have a hard time pulling out into fast traffic where I live because of that 3-second delay before the RPMs are high enough to take off. I found this one on Amazon and I'm curious if anyone has had positive results.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Pedal-Commander-throttle-response-controller/dp/B00O833OZS[/ame]

Thank you!

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you don’t get any answers here, look at ramforum.com Its a forum for the ram truck, a lot of folks have them. I didn’t. Also there are a couple of vendors active on the forum who sell them, maybe at a better price? Idk.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I feel like it might be as fake as those "engine chips" that connect to OBDII port and do nothing. This one might be a prettier version.

Nope, not fake. If you floor it on a computer controlled vehicle, the computers software controls how fast you actually accelerate. This over rides that and will allow it to accelerate quicker. Basically it allows quicker throttle response. I’ve driven a ram truck with one and there is a noticeable difference. But to me not worth the coin. I wonder if the OP ever ordered one and what his thoughts are?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Since I don't have kids and have extra $$$, I bought one after looking at all the youtube videos. Will chime in after it arrives. Not looking for burnouts but just a quicker response.

I have '18 Platinum. After '12 it does feel more delayed. I drove '19 at the dealer and it felt more close to '12.

Thus, if this will give a better response, I am all for.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Pics: https://imgur.com/a/A3YLgaX

Well, it is my first day using the gadget. Put it in "city" mode "0". Was jerky. Put it in "city -2" and better.

Thing is, I feel I learned to apply too much gas to the original way of driving, now that it is more sensitive, I am hitting it too hard. Will drive on this selected response for now to get used to a more sensitive pedal. Then maybe will up a bit.

Overall, yes, the "mushiness" feeling of gas is gone and I am in better control of the acceleration curve. Got to be careful with backing up, you get the same sensitivity.

Need to drive a bit more, will come back to share.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Pics:

Well, it is my first day using the gadget. Put it in "city" mode "0". Was jerky. Put it in "city -2" and better.

Thing is, I feel I learned to apply too much gas to the original way of driving, now that it is more sensitive, I am hitting it too hard. Will drive on this selected response for now to get used to a more sensitive pedal. Then maybe will up a bit.

Overall, yes, the "mushiness" feeling of gas is gone and I am in better control of the acceleration curve. Got to be careful with backing up, you get the same sensitivity.

Any updates?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes. Still have it. Still works to my satisfaction. Drives like a completely different car. No more unresponsive throttle.

Frankly, the shitty throttle response was the only item that I hated daily in my new car (way more than any other flaw). Even my 2012 Murano drives better than 2018 Platinum (without the gadget). I tried 2019 and I think it is better than 2018, slightly. I never drove '15-'17, can't say about these.

So, this gadget is a must for me to drive my Murano 2018. Somehow many years ago I fell in love with a gas pedal that needs minimum amount of force and no delay. Even older 2012 overall feels sportier without any additions. Driving 2018 (new 2015 style) at times feels like driving a barge. The gadget dramatically helps to make this barge snappier but the body roll and **** load of poor visibility around the car due to its shape is still what it is.

Overall, I strongly recommend to get the gadget. I feel like it is extremely overpriced for what it costs to produce. Thus, if you can afford it, get it.

PS: A funny story. Many years ago (5 years?) I came to Florida and took some run of the mill Jeep SUV as a rental for a week or two. Drove it daily everywhere. It was by my standards the most horrible throttle response I ever had a misfortune to drive. But, it was a new car. So, this reservation I got on a big sale, did not feel like changing the car and getting a higher rate, my stay was long and I just stuck with that Jeep. Oh, well, vacation, I concentrated on other better things. When it was over and I took the flight home, took my 2012 from airport parking, I realized, I cannot drive it. The throttle response I got used to on Jeep was so embedded in my mind that when I tried to use gas pedal in my 2012, it would buckle like a bull, I was over pressing the damn thing. I barely got out from that parking lot. I bet I looked like some new driver who is learning to drive a stick, jerking the car. Took me like 3 days to switch back to applying a proper pressure. Then later I started driving 2018 and it was not half bad as Jeep but the throttle response was always on my mind. This gadget helped me to make 2018 what I wanted in terms of getting what I expected from the car purchase.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had been holding out on getting one since I couldn't find other mo owners using it. I just now ordered one based upon your review. Thanks for your input and opinion on the controller. If anyone else is interested, they have a $50 off black friday sale at the pedal commander website. Can't wait to try mine!

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
FYI - at the same price, the Sprint Booster has a much smaller control module to take up room on your center console, and has excellent reviews.

It's available for 09-up Muranos, nothing prior to 2009. https://www.sprintboosterusa.com/

No personal experience, I've been researching similar devices for my wife's 09 BMW and this has consistently good reviews.

·
Registered
143 Posts
FYI - at the same price, the Sprint Booster has a much smaller control module to take up room on your center console, and has excellent reviews.

It's available for 09-up Muranos, nothing prior to 2009. https://www.sprintboosterusa.com/

No personal experience, I've been researching similar devices for my wife's 09 BMW and this has consistently good reviews.
Doesnt appear to support 2019 model

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yes. Still have it. Still works to my satisfaction. Drives like a completely different car. No more unresponsive throttle.

Frankly, the shitty throttle response was the only item that I hated daily in my new car (way more than any other flaw). Even my 2012 Murano drives better than 2018 Platinum (without the gadget). I tried 2019 and I think it is better than 2018, slightly. I never drove '15-'17, can't say about these.

So, this gadget is a must for me to drive my Murano 2018. Somehow many years ago I fell in love with a gas pedal that needs minimum amount of force and no delay. Even older 2012 overall feels sportier without any additions. Driving 2018 (new 2015 style) at times feels like driving a barge. The gadget dramatically helps to make this barge snappier but the body roll and **** load of poor visibility around the car due to its shape is still what it is.

Overall, I strongly recommend to get the gadget. I feel like it is extremely overpriced for what it costs to produce. Thus, if you can afford it, get it.

PS: A funny story. Many years ago (5 years?) I came to Florida and took some run of the mill Jeep SUV as a rental for a week or two. Drove it daily everywhere. It was by my standards the most horrible throttle response I ever had a misfortune to drive. But, it was a new car. So, this reservation I got on a big sale, did not feel like changing the car and getting a higher rate, my stay was long and I just stuck with that Jeep. Oh, well, vacation, I concentrated on other better things. When it was over and I took the flight home, took my 2012 from airport parking, I realized, I cannot drive it. The throttle response I got used to on Jeep was so embedded in my mind that when I tried to use gas pedal in my 2012, it would buckle like a bull, I was over pressing the damn thing. I barely got out from that parking lot. I bet I looked like some new driver who is learning to drive a stick, jerking the car. Took me like 3 days to switch back to applying a proper pressure. Then later I started driving 2018 and it was not half bad as Jeep but the throttle response was always on my mind. This gadget helped me to make 2018 what I wanted in terms of getting what I expected from the car purchase.
Great info. I'm driving a 2019 SV atm with 400 miles and it is sluggish like my 2013 I traded last week. I got awd so I can get into traffic without spinning wheels and think I would like one. I need one of these and a remot control train horn! I'm used to a yz250 mx bike so I like touchy response. I might try one of the $70 chinese ones.

·
Registered
894 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just found this on Amazon. For $81, I might give it a try. Anyone have any experience with this brand?

Have a good day.
It should work. Whats the return policy?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Pics:

was this thing a self install? I am not mechanically inclined by any stretch of the imagination.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I just found this on Amazon. For $81, I might give it a try. Anyone have any experience with this brand?

Have a good day.
if you get it let us know what you think.

·
Registered
894 Posts

Well I went ahead and ordered it. Seller wanted year and photo of connection before shipping to insure compatibly. Took about a week to arrive. I had several long distance trips planned and didn't want issues cropping up, so delayed the install until today.

Here is what was in the package:
IMG_20200107_095235.jpg
IMG_20200107_095314.jpg

I'm using the HA setting at level 6:

Took less then 5 minutes to install. Controller is setting in the front cup holder with the wire tucked up under the CC and run down under the console where it meets the dash, down to the pedal where the interface box is connected.

After the install I went for a coffee and car wash several blocks away.

As soon as I left the driveway, it felt like my old Flacon with a V8 & a Holly double pumper. Engine roared right up there faster then when I punch the pedal to the floor when entering the highway. 40 MPH in less the a 1/3 of a block. At the next light, taking off, tires all started to spin on the sand on the road, immediately having to feather the throttle back. Had to be very easy on the gas pedal for the rest of the trip to maintain regular throttle response.

I'll be taking a 40 mile round trip on the highway in several days. I report back on how the pedal and RPM respond entering the highway when I get back. It will be interesting to see if there is still full response through out the full pedal travel. From what I've read, these things work by manipulating the throttle response curve, mainly by shorting it.

Have a good day.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts