Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
only 7000+ miles and already the TPS was replaced. Haven't seen any other posts about this, so maybe it was an isolated incidence for me?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I've seen one or two and maybe a few, mentioned around here.
It is not a common problem.

Homer

·
Registered
19 Posts
bearmohr....I had the TPS replaced this past Friday.

Thursday night, I back out of my garage/driveway, and once on the road, shifted to "D" position, and the car would not budge! I sat there for 30 seconds, and tried to out it in reverse, but to no avail. The car just wouldn't move. After about 30 seconds, I finally got some power back, and managed to reverse. It scared the hell out of me (I have an '04 with 26000 KM/16250 Miles on it). I then noticed that the "Service Engine Soon" light had come on, and it stayed on. I followed the Owner's manual procedure and re-tightened the fuel cap to see if it would go off, but that didn't help it in anyway. I then drove it a bit, and it was driving fine, although the SES light was there to stay.

Next morning, I took it into the dealership and explained the symptoms. They said that since the light was on, at least they would be able to run a diagnostic and read the codes and figure out what the problem was. They had it ready for me in the afternoon, and the TPS was replaced. They informed me that I lost power because the CVT was running in "Fail-safe" because the signal that the gas-pedal was being pressed was not being sent to the CVT, but that doesn't explain why it started to work again later, even though the light still remained on. Can anyone shed some light on the explanation I received? Thanks for reading, and although I don't post much, I read this forum every single day....you guys are an amazing bunch. Thanks for all the help you guys provide on this forum.:eek:

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
The SES light won't just go off if things start working again. There's a system where you need to drive under specific conditions a number of times (sometimes 40!) for the light to go out. The light will also go out when all the trouble codes are cleared.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi there...the light didn't go off by itself. It stayed on after it came on, and the dealerership replaced the Throttle Position Sensor, and must have then reset the light I'm guessing. So far so good...it drives just fine now, and I have actually felt an improvement in that the MO responds better now when I hit the gas-pedal as compared to before when it lagged just a tiny bit before it would go. I hope the problem doesn't re-occur. By the way, I am in Toronto (Markham to be exact) and the dealership I bought my car from, and the one that fixed it on Friday, is Village Nissan in Unionville (HWY 7 & Kennedy Rd.).

·
Registered
19 Posts
rdangel....can you please share the symptoms you experienced? Were they similar to mine? Just wondering if there's a pattern here, or if it's different for all. Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My wife was driving the car, and stopped at a light. She hit the gas when it turned green, the car started to move but stuttered a bit and then wouldnt get past 10 mph. she'd hit the gas and the car would buck a little.
Check engine light came on.

She was able to pull over and shut off the car.

When she started it again, the car seemed fine and she drove it for the rest of the day.

Check engine light went off after about an hr and never came on again.

I broght the car in a month later to have other stuff checked and I told them what had happened. They checked the codes and saw that the TPS gave a code a while ago. They changed it and havent had a problem since.

Very scary.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for responding rdangel....same symptoms as mine, except that I did not drive it long enough for the SES light to go-off...I took it in the morning after it happened and they figured out that it was the TPS and changed it under warranty. You are right about it being scary....the thought of it happening while I'm trying to make a left turn at a stop-light with on-coming traffic, makes me very very nervous. Let's hope it doesn't happen again. Turns out the MO is very very expensive to repair when it breaks down...can't imagine myself keeping it past the 4-year lease. Someone on this forum had his CVT die after 90000 miles.... :eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts