Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a qualified endorsement of the Thule Hitching Post Pro Model 937 2-bike hitch-mounted bike rack in combinatin with the Mo. (Model 936 fits a 2" receiver, model 937 is for 1.25" receivers.)

I bought the 937 for $150 at REI, steep but I was able to get a 20% member appreciation discount so my net was $120 plus tax. I wasn't able to do better on the net, and was glad I went local because the first hitch had a broken plastic end-plug/stop. No problem returning and getting a replacement.

The rack mounts easily and is held in place with a wrench-tightened bolt on the receiver. You can buy a lock to replace the bolt, but for reasons I'll mention I don't think that is necessary.

At least in combination with my Hidden Hitch, I could still open the back of my Mo with the rack in place but no bikes mounted - about 1" clearance. That is a great convenience. With bikes mounted, the back could be opened if someone pulled down on the rack just enough to get clearance. This sometimes wasn't possible if a bike handlebar got in the way. (A pin can be released at the base of the rack to allow the rack to pivot out of the way, but this takes two people and a lot of care. The rack then rests on the plastic part I mentioned earlier, that was broken on my first purchase.)

The big downside of this rack (and perhaps competitors that aren't roof-mounted) is that there is no easy way to mount a woman's bike, or probably any of the modern mountain bikes with the downward sloping frame bar. What really annoyed me was REI acted like they never heard of the problem, which is also not mentioned in Thule's installation and use instructions, or their product information sheets. They only place I found it mentioned was in the Thule knowledge base on their web site. Their solution? Buy a $30 Thule accessory that adds a horizontal bar to your bike. (I believe at least temporarily the bar is now about $21 at some REI stores, but not available at mine.)

My solution? I was ready to return the thing, but my wife looked and said--why not turn the bike upside down? Definitely more difficult to do, but it worked, if the front wheel was removed. (My wife credits her many years doing crosswords and assembling puzzles for her "out of the box" thinking. Glad someone in this family can do it. As is probably obvious, puzzles frustrate me. Don't ask me to play Scrabble.)

In summary, the rack works pretty well with the Mo, except for the problem mounting a woman's bike. With the hitch pin tightened there is only minor wobble. And no rub marks and indentations on my tailgate, as I experienced with my prior door-mounted rack.

Locking? I was able to take a bike cable, lock one end to the chain loop on my hitch, wind the cable through both bikes, over the rack and back to a loop retainer at the base of the rack where I fastened it with a second lock. This protected both rack and bikes from theft, although those with bikes newer than ours (20+ years old) may want to take additional precautions.

For more info on the rack, see www.thule.com.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thule Trailblazer

Speaking of bike racks, I just picked up the Thule Trailblazer from REI last week. It is on sale until Sunday (April 25) for only $264.99. I think that is a really good deal - the MSRP is like $380. The Trailblazer is the 4 bike hitch mount that swings out of the way - it works really well. I highly recommend it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts