Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting ready to order a Thule Expressway Trailer Hitch Bike Rack (holds 4 bikes),
but saw a "tray type rack" on a GC that I want to check into.

Does anyone know who makes it?
It was a flat tray with wheel lock downs. So z frames & non-regular frames do not become an issue!

Does anyone have any recommendations on other racks that I should look at?:confused:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am looking for the same type. My tow hitch is backordered so I haven't purchased a rack yet. I know of 2 options. One is the BikeHaul from Delta http://www.deltacycle.com
The other, I believe is from Sportworks. It would be great to be able to just park and ride without messing with installing/removing wheels. I'm steering towards the Delta. I think it runs $229 from Delta but can be found around $189 online.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
js - thanks for the info, that's just what I was looking for.

I got the factory hitch so I'm ready to go, I really like how concealed it is.

Have you ever had a bike rack like these?

Actually this is my first hitch type rack, but I'm guessing it must be easier & more secure that the trunk mounted type!

·
Registered
38 Posts
>js - thanks for the info, that's just what I was looking for.

Great, glad it helped!

>I got the factory hitch so I'm ready to go, I really like how
>concealed it is.

Yes, I like the looks of it better than the aftermarket one. I'm waiting for the factory one to come in (still).

>Have you ever had a bike rack like these?

No, I came from a pickup truck so I've never had a bike rack before. The tray type is the only way to go. Who wants to lift a bike up on top of a vehicle after a long ride? Not to mention, after mountain biking, it would make a mess of the top of my clean Murano!

It's the way to go for me. I'd almost consider a standard hitch type rack but my mountain bike doesn't have a traditional straight and level top tube. It also mashes the cable against the frame, causing cable stretch and poor shifting. I'll be going with the Delta. I believe the Sportworks one is in the neighborhood of 50 lbs. I think the Delta is a bit lighter.

It sounds like you'll have one before me so let me know what you get and how you like it.

Jeff

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm a fan of top mounted racks myself. I love the Yakima Lowrider. There is a recent post with pics. That's what I'm going with. I only need to have 2/3 bikes on the rack at once.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Roof mounted bike rack

IMO, a roof mounted bike rack for the Murano is impractical due to the overall height. Your going to have to travel with a step ladder to get the bikes up there and back down again.

I had (have) a complete Yakima roof rack system for my 00 Maxima, SE which worked great for hauling up to 4 bikes and that actually got real difficult to work with due to the height.

For us, we're going with a reasonably aerodynamic storage box (16 cf) for the roof rack and a hitch mounted bike rack. Still not sure about which model of bike rack yet but doing some research now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
check out :Rack Warehouse , they are currently having 20% off on all Thule and Yakima items. With the lower price, I am thinking to get the Thule TrailBlazer... otherwise the Expressway looks pretty good too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
KSmurano -

I just got a call from Nissan that my hitch is in. I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend! :)

Did you decide on a bike rack and if you got one - which one and how do you like it? I'm still leaning towards the Delta.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jsturg - I've been busy with a big project at work & have just been loading my bikes into the Caravan. I need to get the hitch because that bench seat is a bear to take out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts