Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this normal? I hear a very low thump when I hit 15-20mph. Like something closing/opening ?? It happens only when I start the engine and drive. One time only. I can then go below 15 then above and it won't happen again.

Also, is it normal for murano to emit high frequency pitch/buzz coming from the rear of the car? I have a feeling it's the fuel pump. It's not laud, but at night when it's quiet I can hear it.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Enforcer said:
Never had a thump and never heard a buzz. Anyone else?
Just one thump.... neighbor's cat.... only heard it once. ;)

-njjoe

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have that thump as well. Same as you describe as it only happens once after startup. Like some tension is being released.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I don't set it as I park on the level in a garage. I figure it's because of the CVT as this is the first one I've owned.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
UncaDanno said:
Do you set the parking brake/emergency brake/makethecarsmellfunny pedal when you park overnight?
UnnaDanno-

I have been trying to figure this one out, but I give up. Why do you call it the "makethecarsmellfunny" pedal??:confused:

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
njjoe said:
...Why do you call it the "makethecarsmellfunny" pedal??
I was driving home from shopping last night, a distance of about 1 mile. I was right behind this old beat up Honda Accord. As we both took off from this traffic light I heard this loud squeak that got louder as we increased our speeds. I naturally let go of my gas pedal to investigate and as the Accord got farther the sound became less until it disappeared. I turned to my wife and said: "He needs to do something about his car. Something is about to fall off the engine..." Then I happen to glance at my instrument cluster and noticed.....my parking brake light was on.....:3:

Needless to say, it was indeed "makethecarsmellfunny"....:)

·
Registered
781 Posts
Is it the ABS system. They make a noise of sorts when you first start out - but it is generally at a lower speed.

The nice thing about living in Northern Illinois is that there aren't any hills. You can leave your car in neutral and it won't move. :)

·
Registered
747 Posts
maximizer

I may be wrong but I think what you are hearing is the Torque converter engaging/disengaging. I don't know that I ever heard it as much as felt it. The speed you have mentioned is @ the same speed the converter engages or disengages.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe, I thought it was something related to AWD being disabled after that speed.

It's weird that it only happens when I start the car (1st time) after a period of inactivity. (30 mins or so). then I can stop and hit that speed again and there is no noise.

So you're saying tourque converter engages at 15-18 mph?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts