Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally, the Nissan Tech Line asked my tech friend to disconnect the cardan joints and listen again with the stethoscope. The noise was coming from the transfer case. So, he emptied it and the oil was black and full of metal particles so we now know what was the cause of it. It is going to be replaced starting tomorrow. It is a big job and they need 8 hours to do it.

The have to remove the crossmember and tilt the engine so that they can disconnect the transfer case. What a mess!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok so the transfer case was replaced today with no improvement. The noise is still present, even louder now with the new transfer case. Nissan Tech Line now asked my dealer to order a new tranny and TCU. It should take a few weeks because no one has this stock in North America. I'll keep you posted.

I guess it's time to tow that huge log trailer before they change the tranny! Oh, and to test the power brake start as well! :D

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Yeah! Sounds like you got a license to Let 'er rip!

Let us know if there is any slippage after the first hundred brake torque starts!

:2:

Homer

PS I know about "regular" auto trans, but CVTs? Would you mind slipping it into reverse at say 80 MPH and let us know what happens?:p

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ouch! I still need to last the few weeks it will take for the new tranny to come in. I spent the last 2 days in a Sentra and I can assure you that I will not take the risk to go back to the soap box... I already arranged with the car loaner to have a X-Trail next time... ;)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The MO is in the shop to get a new tranny and guess what!?!

It was not the tranny at all after all. They're changing it anyway (it is my friend who is the mechanic).

The problem was coming from a parking brake bracket located just under the front of the AWD driveshaft. The cable was a little loose so the bracket was rubbing on the shaft making a tick tick noise because it was meeting the solder at every turn of the shaft.

What a mess for close to nothing. Close to nothing because the paint layer was already gone from the shaft and sooner or later either the parking break cable would have failed or there would have been vibrations coming from the worned & unbalanced driveshaft.

I saw the MO today without an engine and I felt bad when I learned what the problem really was. I guess that they could have seen this when they changed the transfer case 3 weeks ago. We called this experience and hopefully will soon forget about this story...

·
Registered
416 Posts
The inneptitude of this service dept./mechanics is hard to believe. It would be interesting to hear if Nissan would pay for the not needed CVT replacement or if the dealer would have to pony up....

·
Registered
982 Posts
GripperDon said:
Enought to make a grown man cry! I think that what has happened is that the dealers have not grown up with the vehicle. What I mean is that the brand got better but the dealers are still junk. Can you imagine if you bought a Pheaton and still have to take it to the VW dealer for service. Probably give you a Jetta as a loaner. Oh the mandasity of it all. GRIP :D

Grip... I've seen you talk about having a Pheaton, but didn't know what it was and didn't really seem interested in it... until tonight. I was like, hummmmm, I wonder what it is... so I looked it up. DAM, that is a nice ride. Very classy !! Does it really START at $67,000 ?? What made you pick that ride for that cash? So many to choose from if your willing to spend that kind of dough. :D It is really impressive I have to say!!

http://www.vw.com/phaeton/

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Hey Gym Kid

Simply stated it was absolutely the best car I have ever driven. For me I felt it was an outstanding combination of: quality, the 4 Motion ful time all the time 4wheel drive, many features, GO! and Style. You can see it if you go back to the see "Your other rides I updated the picture to reflect the Phaeton. By the way did I say Go?. And I should add "the on the fly" adjustable suspension system is unbelievable. And Oh! did I say GO! :2:

Unfortunately it only "starts" at $69

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
so why the pheaton and not the A8. they are virtually the same vechicle. although i think i like the interior of the pheaton better.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Re: Hey Gym Kid

GripperDon said:
Simply stated it was absolutely the best car I have ever driven. For me I felt it was an outstanding combination of: quality, the 4 Motion ful time all the time 4wheel drive, many features, GO! and Style. You can see it if you go back to the see "Your other rides I updated the picture to reflect the Phaeton. By the way did I say Go?. And I should add "the on the fly" adjustable suspension system is unbelievable. And Oh! did I say GO! :2:

Unfortunately it only "starts" at $69
Come on Grip...time to confess....the Phaeton was supposed to be Gripee's birthday gift until you found out how nice it was....Now Gripee drives the MO while you enjoy the Fay....:2:

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Talk about a late reply

Nicer Interior, Much more weight, Cheaper, very rare only 3000 every imported to North America. Now days Grippee and I both enjoy the Fay. (ps have to post a picture of our little cat Pookie rideing in her car seat and looking out the window, it's a riot she thinks she is a doggie)

So far as good as the Mo's nothing has broken (now if that is not tempting fate I don't know what is.)

Only mods so far: Europeant 4 position light switch, Yellow bulbs in the fog lamps, elimination of a chime warnings, computer adjustment to lower ride height, Refrig in the trunk with opening in between the reat seats behind the pull down arm rest, X3 aux input for: Ipod, XM Sat radio and audio from the Laptop Computer I mounted in the glove box. It has Sprint Cellular Internet so it's web a Go Go .
:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts