Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
When should one change the timing belt/chain?
Just before it fails.... :) Time it right and you'll have time to spare. Time it wrong and your time will be despair.

But, seriously... The timing chain on my 2003 is original with 300,000+ miles on it. It can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. However, chains have been known to fail, even replacement ones. At 200,000 miles, if I had planned to keep my 2003, I would've changed a lot of components, including the timing chain and some support parts.

·
Administrator
9,174 Posts
It's a chain. Assuming you maintain the engine well, it should last the life of the car (but no guarantees).
Exactly. No replacement should be needed.

Keyword = Chain. Not "Belt."

·
Registered
348 Posts
I really recommend regular oil analysis, like once a year, good track of wear, they can tell by looking at elements if something going on. I have one example attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I really recommend regular oil analysis, like once a year, good track of wear, they can tell by looking at elements if something going on. I have one example attached.
Oil sample analysis is intriguing, but getting one done every year might be a bit much. If one is maintaining the engine well, there really shouldn't be a need unless a problem is suspected.

I think the real utility of these might be for those who recently purchased a used Murano who are unsure of the real condition of the engine and want to see if the test will reveal elements/contaminants in the oil that may be indicative of excessive engine wear or some other underlying problem.

BTW, is that report for their "standard analysis" and how much was the out-the-door cost of purchasing the test kit?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Oil sample analysis is intriguing, but getting one done every year might be a bit much. If one is maintaining the engine well, there really shouldn't be a need unless a problem is suspected.

I think the real utility of these might be for those who recently purchased a used Murano who are unsure of the real condition of the engine and want to see if the test will reveal elements/contaminants in the oil that may be indicative of excessive engine wear or some other underlying problem.

BTW, is that report for their "standard analysis" and how much was the out-the-door cost of purchasing the test kit?
I bought vacuum pump 35$, so you pump sample right into their container (test kit) which is free. They ship it to you, its pre pay shipment back to them, you pay just for the oil test.
Simple oil test (first part of the report) is 30$
if you want TBN lower part of report + 10$

TBN in very important if you change brand or want to run max range on the oil. But i like to see how oil performs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I bought vacuum pump 35$, so you pump sample right into their container (test kit) which is free. They ship it to you, its pre pay shipment back to them, you pay just for the oil test.
Simple oil test (first part of the report) is 30$
if you want TBN lower part of report + 10$

TBN in very important if you change brand or want to run max range on the oil. But i like to see how oil performs.

Do they have a test for the CVT yet? This would be particularly useful I would think...

·
Registered
2,039 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Looking at the form that's supposed to be sent with the sample, one is supposed to list the type of fluid that's being sampled along with a bunch of other information. My guess is they've already analyzed every oil and fluid on the market to use as a baseline and then use that to compare with the sample that's sent to them. Nevertheless, I guess they could be contacted to confirm.

EDIT: They have a helpful report explanation page with examples of various reports depending on the application (e.g. gas/diesel engine, transmission etc.). These examples have annotations and accompanying notes that basically show what the information means and where it comes from: Report Explanation | Blackstone Laboratories

Also, I did find some posts on other forums with analysis results for CVT fluid samples, but these were for Subarus and Hondas.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Like others say with proper oil changes the chain should last. Where the problem is, is with the plastic guides that can deteriorate long before the metal chain will, with out those guides the chain will lose tension and jump time, that is the concern, and why some timing chains will not last the life of the car. Some chains not made from the correct materials will stretch or wear at the pin pivots and also cause an excessive loose condition and jump time as well, dirty and no regular oil changes can contribute to that as well.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Like others say with proper oil changes the chain should last. Where the problem is, is with the plastic guides that can deteriorate long before the metal chain will, with out those guides the chain will lose tension and jump time, that is the concern, and why some timing chains will not last the life of the car. Some chains not made from the correct materials will stretch or wear at the pin pivots and also cause an excessive loose condition and jump time as well, dirty and no regular oil changes can contribute to that as well.
Wondering what element on the report will show high number if plastic guides are gone?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts