Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have people on here had there front two windows tinted? My last two vehicles have been fully tinted to what the law allows (33% I think is what the legal limit in GA is).

Anyone know what the tint % is on the privacy glass? I want it to match if I do end up tinting the front two windows.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
JPALM

I had my front windows tinted here in Florida supposedly as to what the law allows and it is much lighter than the Factory Tint on the rear windows. I was disappointed because I wanted it to match. I have heard that if you want it to match and the Police in your area are not known for stopping people with dark tint, you can ask the installer to put it on and tell him not to write it up , or not to give you a receipt. When mine was tinted a sticker was placed below the tire inflation guide inside the drivers side door sill with the tint %.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had mine tinted to match or very close to match. I told the installer that I wanted it illegal tint. He just had me pay in cash and wrote me up a hand written reciept. I have been very happy w/ mine. Can remember the %. Sorry.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I jus tested my rear windows and they tested 22% but my meter has a + or - of 2%. So if you have them take it down to 20 or 25% it should match perfectly. If you do it yourself just remember there is already tint built into the front two windows already. I tested them also and they tested 70% so you would want to add 50% more to come up with the 20%. Hope this helps.:cool:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ohio Murano said:
I jus tested my rear windows and they tested 22% but my meter has a + or - of 2%. So if you have them take it down to 20 or 25% it should match perfectly. If you do it yourself just remember there is already tint built into the front two windows already. I tested them also and they tested 70% so you would want to add 50% more to come up with the 20%. Hope this helps.:cool:
Really....I didn't know that the front two windows had a "slight" tint on them. Good to know, thanks!

I've never been asked about my tint on any of my cars here in GA, I think its pretty much a non-issue here unless you have like 3% or something nuts.

·
08 G37S, Prev MO owner
50 Posts
My MO has 5% on the side windows & front strip, and 15% on back window. No problems from any Law Enforcement folks down in SE Florida (Dade, Broward, or Palm Beach) for almost 2 years. No problems here either in Panama City where I live now. I think they only target your tint if you are getting pulled over for anything else.

Back in my High School days, they used to check our tint when driving into the school's parking lot! I had 20%, and never had a problem.

The only thing that sucks about the limo tint is that I have to roll down my front widows at night when I have to back up.. :31:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Got mine tinted today. Only the legal limit here in Ohio but it looks better than nothing.:cool:

·
Registered
631 Posts
Ohio Murano said:
... they tested 70% so you would want to add 50% more to come up with the 20%.
That's not quite how the math works. The % rating on the tint refers to how much light is transmitted through the film.

If you start with 70% transmitted light, and put 50% film on, you'll get half of 70% which is 35%.

If you start with 70%, and add 35% film, you will get 24.5% of the original outside light transmitted through the window.

It seems odd that the bare windows measure 70%. In some states, I believe it is illegal to have ANY tinting on front windows, so I doubt a car would come from the factory like that. Not to mention, if someone puts 35% film on thier windows (which is close to the legal limit in many states), it looks like 35%, not 25% ... otherwise it would match the rear windows more closely.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The bare windows of most cars have some tint built in them. Next time your sitting there and the sun is shining in roll the window up and see if it seems not so bright. Or take any car without window tint to someplace that has a tint meter i.e. Police dept. or some place that applies tint and have them test your bare window and you'll see that there is some already built in. As far as your rational it may be correct but, I was going on the fact that 50% tint blocks out 50% of light transmittance so if you are already blocking out 30% and you block 50% that's a total of 80% being blocked, because the tint is blocking out 50% of 100% not 50% of 80% so you would end up with 20%. I reccomend just getting a small piece of the tint you going to apply and test it with you window and then you'll know what you'll end up with.:cool:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Does anyone have a Murano with 35% tint on the front the windows? If so, can you post a pic here so I can take a gander? I'm scheduled to get it put on my Murano this Friday. Thanks !

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
TheGymKid said:
Does anyone have a Murano with 35% tint on the front the windows? If so, can you post a pic here so I can take a gander? I'm scheduled to get it put on my Murano this Friday. Thanks !
TheGymKid-

Isn't that illegal here in Jersey? Why give the State Troopers a good excuse to pull you over?

-njjoe

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I like to live on the edge. Acutally... I think it's not smart, but I love the way it looks. I've talked to a few people and they all say how they don't have probelms with it. If it becomes trouble... I'll have it taken off. But I can't resist how much better it would look with it. Not a great reason, but the one I'm going with.

:twak:

·
Registered
33 Posts
i thought you can tint as dark as you want in jersey.. but you cant tint the front..

i put 20% over my factory tint... i like it but i kinda wish i went darker..

·
Registered
68 Posts
TheGymKid said:
Wife has it with her at work... will take a picture and post later tonight.

I have a truck with I think like 15% (legal except for the two front - no probs yet though). This old car that bought for her (after a car accident) had like 5% which I ended up razoring off (a **** to do - esp. when it is old)

She has a hard time backing up and looking back in my truck, so when it came time for the new Mo, 35% legal on the 2 front was good enough.

We had a ceramic tint put on the front 2, left the others as is... there is a slight difference, but nothing you can tell unless you are staring...

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
HotSamNCheese said:
i thought you can tint as dark as you want in jersey.. but you cant tint the front..

i put 20% over my factory tint... i like it but i kinda wish i went darker..
HotSamNCheese-

In the state of New Jersey the rear window and rear-side windows can be tinted to any darkness, but can not be metallic or mirrored. The 3rd brake light must remain uncovered. Dual side mirrors are required if the rear window is tinted.

It is illegal to apply any after-market tint to the windshield or front side windows. Illegal window tint may cause you to fail motor vehicle inspection.

-njjoe

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
raycie said:

Wife has it with her at work... will take a picture and post later tonight.

I have a truck with I think like 15% (legal except for the two front - no probs yet though). This old car that bought for her (after a car accident) had like 5% which I ended up razoring off (a **** to do - esp. when it is old)

She has a hard time backing up and looking back in my truck, so when it came time for the new Mo, 35% legal on the 2 front was good enough.

We had a ceramic tint put on the front 2, left the others as is... there is a slight difference, but nothing you can tell unless you are staring...
Thanks raycie... i would appreciate seeing it.

I thought that 35% would be a alot lighter then the back window. I'm not looking to match it up, I want it to be light... kinda inbetween the dark back and nothing at all. That is why I picked 35% over the 20%. But your saying, 35% looks almost just like the back window, huh.

I'm looking fwd to seeing it on yours...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sorry... she came home late last night.. wouldn't do it justice for me to take a picture in the dark.. I will try again today...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here you go... This was taken with the front sun shield on, so as to see the contrast in "true" light transmittance between in 35% fronts and the backs... Without the sunshade on it is lighter.. will take a better picture tomorrow (camera broke) and used my phone for this one... will have new camera tomorrow.. Will take one again with and without the sun shade to show you the difference..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts