Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Murano has the tiptronic or shiftmatic whatever you want to call it feature. I have driven standard before and want to try this out but don't want to look like a fool. I assume you just push up to positive to shift to gear one then allow the shifter back into the middle and once you want to shift up again push back up and hold until you shift so on and so on. I am confused on this as I feel like I want to shift down to get into second gear but realize you can only shift up to higher gears by using the + and then when you want to start downshifting use the -. Sorry if this seems rather basic to you guys I just want someone who really knows how to use the tiptronics to walk me through this so I use it appropiately. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
252 Posts
the way you have described it is correct. Just push up (+) to go up a gear 1 - 2- 3 - 4 - 5 -6.

Push down to do the reverse.

Theres a ongoing debate around the world amongst car makers and drivers as to which way should be correct. Mercedes have gone around this problem by having shifter go left to right instead of up and down :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bigdongers said:
the way you have described it is correct. Just push up (+) to go up a gear 1 - 2- 3 - 4 - 5 -6.

Push down to do the reverse.

Theres a ongoing debate around the world amongst car makers and drivers as to which way should be correct. Mercedes have gone around this problem by having shifter go left to right instead of up and down :)
Ok thanks for your reassurance I am going to have to try this out now. I like being in control of what gear I am in. I guess you just do it by feel to know how long to hold it in + until you feel your rpm go down. Then shift again once you get back up. So when you just want to stay in gear you leave it in between the + and - right? My car also has a plus minus button immediately to the left of the rpm gage I am wondering what this does? Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also since there is no clutch I don't need to release the gas while I am shifting right, I can just continue shifting up each time I reach 3000 rpm right?

·
Registered
252 Posts
yeah no need to release the gas for tiptronic.

Might be interesting to note though that for cars with CVT, there are no gears as such. The "gears" in manual mode are just points in the computer where the revs and gearing are adjusted. Our Honda Jazz has CVT and its 7 speed manual mode. It could have 77 gears if Honda really wanted it to :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bigdongers said:
yeah no need to release the gas for tiptronic.

Might be interesting to note though that for cars with CVT, there are no gears as such. The "gears" in manual mode are just points in the computer where the revs and gearing are adjusted. Our Honda Jazz has CVT and its 7 speed manual mode. It could have 77 gears if Honda really wanted it to :)
That sounds pretty cool it seems that the manual mode was only added for the driver to feel like they are driving when really nothing different is happening since the computers are making all the adjustments. Thanks for your help man I appreciate it. One more thing when I am up shifting I just hold it there until I see the drop off in rpm then I can release and allow it to rest in the middle right?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bigdongers said:
you dont need to hold the lever when shifting. Just flick it and then let it rest in the middle.
Ok thanks, I appreciate the quick replies I refresh and boom there is a reply. Do you have this on your car as well, if so do you enjoy using it? I have found the automatic to change gears pretty quickly so I wonder if this tiptronic shifting will really allow better acceleration.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have this on my Murano.

I find I only use it when crusing on the freeway at high speed and need to overtake someone. I drop the gear down to 2nd or 3rd and once I have overtaken, go back to full auto mode.

Being CVT, the manual mode is not really needed. Let hte CVT do the work for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bigdongers said:
I have this on my Murano.

I find I only use it when crusing on the freeway at high speed and need to overtake someone. I drop the gear down to 2nd or 3rd and once I have overtaken, go back to full auto mode.

Being CVT, the manual mode is not really needed. Let hte CVT do the work for you.
Just curious how can I really know at all times what gear I am in if I decide to upshift from a decent speed. I haven't done a lot of manual driving in the past year or so so I can't just do this on speed.I guess I should just re acquaint myseld with the speeds and what gear they correspond to, if there any other way you do this?

·
Registered
252 Posts
there is a display in the dash that shows you which gear you are in.

If you are in full auto mode and cruising, when you flick it to manual mode, its normally in 4th or 5th.

·
Registered
31 Posts
theGuru said:
Also since there is no clutch I don't need to release the gas while I am shifting right, I can just continue shifting up each time I reach 3000 rpm right?
3000??? why bother manually shifting... hold it until 4.5k or 5k...sweeeeet

1 - 12 of 12 Posts