Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a thread about which oil to use, but it more referenced doing it yourself and was more involved than I can digest right now. I have always used conventional oil and get it done by dealer until about 6 months after warranty runs out. I usually get it done around 4000 miles. My husbands Acura shows a percent of life left which is nice. I don't know if it measures something with the actual oil, or if it's mileage based, but it doesn't seem to be miles. When I get my 2020, or 2019 next month, should I start getting synthetic in it? I think a blend is more in my budget....With synthetic can I go to 6000 between?

Also, has Nissan upgraded it's TPMS ?? Our Acura and I think our chevy, tell us which tire is low and the Acura even gives a pressure #. I know Acura is a little more $, but not that much more. I'm hoping Nissan has stepped up it's game on these things, they seem pretty basic to me, especially tire pressure, considering how long tpms has been out. It's a pain in the butt trying to figure out which tire is low when it's crappy weather.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I believe 0w-20 oil can be only synthetic. Besides, it is so cheap (usually around $15 for 5qt jug) that it doesn't make sense to use any other. The change itself is easy except the right wheel has to be removed to change oil filter. Nissan recommends changing oil every 5000 miles and you can set monitor to a specific number of miles in the car and it will remind you when you reach that number since reset, so it's pretty dumb (it does not look at how you drive or in which temperatures, just looks at mileage).

TPMS in Nissans are good as they show you each tire's pressure and when you replace tires (with winter ones, for example), it re-learns automatically - no tool needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No need to remove the right wheel for the oil filter. Easily reached if on ramps.
Under a plastic flap that lifts up out of the way.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I haven't changed the oil filter on my 2019 yet, but it looks like it should be the same as my 2003. For my 2003 I just turned the steering wheel all the way to the right, then removed the pins to the splash cover to gain easy access to the oil filter.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I haven't changed the oil filter on my 2019 yet, but it looks like it should be the same as my 2003. For my 2003 I just turned the steering wheel all the way to the right, then removed the pins to the splash cover to gain easy access to the oil filter.
I will try to just turn the wheels all the way next time I change oil.

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
Most modern engines are made to use synthetic oil, and that oil IS superior in terms of reducing wear and especially resistance to breakdown from heat. Your Murano is designed for it and I believe the owner's manual specifies it.

I have been using and studying synthetic oil since 1977, and It's all I use in my cars.

TMPS sensors vary in frequency from year to year, even in the same car model. It's not hard to find the low tire, all you need is a tire gauge - and every vehicle should have a dial gauge in the glove box at all times.

PS: don't forget to air up the spare. People forget, and a flat spare is no help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It seems to me that the oil change interval should be dependent on the type of miles driven. With synthetic oil and mostly highway, longer distance driving, 5,000 miles seems quicker than necessary. At the same time, with stop and go commuter type driving 5,000 miles makes sense. We've got just over 20,000 in less than a year on our 18 Murano. I average 5,000 miles between oil changes but will go 6,000 or so with long distance driving and 4-5,000 with average driving. Why doesn't Nissan just use the larger oil filter? I wonder if my dealer will use it if I request the larger one?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Most modern engines are made to use synthetic oil, and that oil IS superior in terms of reducing wear and especially resistance to breakdown from heat. Your Murano is designed for it and I believe the owner's manual specifies it.

I have been using and studying synthetic oil since 1977, and It's all I use in my cars.

TMPS sensors vary in frequency from year to year, even in the same car model. It's not hard to find the low tire, all you need is a tire gauge - and every vehicle should have a dial gauge in the glove box at all times.

PS: don't forget to air up the spare. People forget, and a flat spare is no help.
I keep compressor in the trunk next to the spare, so I don't have to keep it inflated all the time :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts