Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've notices a problem with my 2003 Nissan Murano. When I drive above 40-50 mph and crusing (no acceleration) I hear tire noise in the front and when I break I feel that front of the car shakes. Before I go to the dealer I want to isolate the problem as close as possible. Is this wheel alignment? Brakes?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
webtekie

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
With that vague description, one can only speculate. It might be a wheel bearing, warped rotors, bad alignment, a bad tire, or a bunch of other things. You could try some diagnosis before you it to the shop - for example, does the noise go away when you brake from 60 to 40? Or does it still show up in that range, along with the brake shudder?

This would appear to be safety related, so I think you should get it checked out as soon as possible, but as mentioned above, make sure you can demonstrate it to the mechanic else they might start randomly replacing things.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tire noise is always present, only at high speeds it's more noticable. Front shake is noticable when I break from 40-50mph. I am sure it happens when I break at lower speeds, it's just not felt as strong.

thanks,
webtekie

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
How many miles? Tires rotatd regularly?

Inspect the front tires carefully. Look for bulges, out of round, tread separation, unusual wear pattern. Easiest way is to jack it up and manually rotate the tires. I am not implying that is your problem, but it will eliminate an obvious one. While you have it up there have someone step on the brake lightly while you are rotating the wheel. Something obvious may show up there.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I had similar type of shaking a while back, mostly when coasting down a hill and beginning the braking process. Dealership did a front end alignment and replaced the front brakes while also turning the rotors. Seems to have helped greatly.
I still have the whoob-whoob sound that I reported before from the left front wheel. I suspect this is a wheel bearing on its way out as there have been some issues with the bearings in the past, particularly left front.

·
Registered
29 Posts
elliotgb said:
I had similar type of shaking a while back, mostly when coasting down a hill and beginning the braking process. Dealership did a front end alignment and replaced the front brakes while also turning the rotors. Seems to have helped greatly.
I still have the whoob-whoob sound that I reported before from the left front wheel. I suspect this is a wheel bearing on its way out as there have been some issues with the bearings in the past, particularly left front.
I, too, had a similar situation with wheel shaking, pulsing/vibrating feel in the wheel and pedal when braking moderately. I had the rotors and brakes replaced under a TSB, I don't recall the # offhand, but when I brought in a printed copy of the TSB, there was no questioning, debating or arguing, but the service manager said he'd inspect my MO, and lo and behold the replacement was completed.
Haven't noticed anything major since. I was also cautioned to avoid puddles after braking as the heat softens the rotors and the water acts to cool them... when heated, any debris on the pads or rotors would reshape/warp the surface of, if not the entire rotor, making for uneveness of the surface and causing the vibrations. The service manager seemed to want to blame the rotor warping on this kind of driving, but didn't go that far, rather mumbling something about not being the first to have this issue and then mentioned something about brake wear on the 350Z and G35s and that maybe it was a quality issue from the manufacturer... Who knows???

Good Luck... I'm sure someone on this forum can help find a link to the TSBs...

-M

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Suggest you visit a Really good Wheel and Tire specalty shop. Not a Discount Tire etc. Explain the problem, Insist on taking the tech for a ride, demo the problem, Pay for their exam and opinion if they think it's a warranty problem tanke their written review to the dealer and ask for fix.

Lot Trouble? You bet, Been their on my previous 04, What I ended up doing.

Good Luck, Grip

webtekie said:
Hello,

I've notices a problem with my 2003 Nissan Murano. When I drive above 40-50 mph and crusing (no acceleration) I hear tire noise in the front and when I break I feel that front of the car shakes. Before I go to the dealer I want to isolate the problem as close as possible. Is this wheel alignment? Brakes?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
webtekie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts