Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a new MO SL and was wondering what people's experiences were re: the tire pressure that gives the best ride. I noticed the ride was kinda harsh on the first day I owned the car, and when I checked the tires the dealer had pumped them all the way up to 40psi! I put them back at 33 (drivers door reccommendation) and now notice that the ride, though less harsh, is a bit "jittery", like constantly being shaken up and down. Reminds me of the suspension in my old Isuzu Rodeo. Maybe I should have gotten the SE? I don't mind a firm, sporty ride but I don't like a "shaky" suspension feeling.

I'd also like to hear thoughts on the noise level in the cabin- I notice lots of wind and road noise with all windows closed (not my tires but all the other traffic!) during freeway driving, like the cabin isn't insulated very well. Engine is whisper quiet- too bad all the other noise permeates the car so easily. This is a bit strange since lots of reviews mention how quiet the MO ride is.:confused:

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Not sure what you have there but I have an SL, the ride is quiet and I don't have gittery suspension. The SE will have a bit more of stiffer suspension. Perhaps you may wish to consider taking another SL for a test drive and see if there is a difference.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
comparing the ride of an SL to a rodeo is like comparing an apple to a rock.
In suspensions you have two choices:
ride like ur in a pillow, corner like ur in a boat
or
Feel the pavement an corner like a go cart

finding a happy medium somewhere in what you want out of performance is what you should choose when getting a vehicle.

The Murano is one of the best feeling (cornering/road quiet) crossovers out there, no doubt, hands down.
Want really good cornering? Get an SE.
Want a little softer ride yet still corners much better than any Izuzu? Get an SL.
:)

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would say you could drop the tire presure down to about 30psi and not have a problem. I find it to ride pretty nice at 33psi but I'm comming from a Toyota 4Runner which rode terrible and a Ford excursion which wasn't much better than the 4Runner. I agree it's no luxury car but it's pretty nice. :cool:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Garvdog - you need to sell or trade in the Murano as quickly as possible.
It sounds like it is falling apart around you.
For a car to have that much noise from the time you bought it until now is scary. And of course, we know that you wouldn't have bought it with this much noise.
As to the handling, pretty much the same thing.
As you test drive a vehicle, certainly one of the things you are "testing" is the ride.
If it was satisfactory on the test ride and is now not satisfactory, the car must be deteriorating at an amazing rate.
Generally suspension components are good for 100,000 miles easily.

OK, a little sarcasm, but still, the question remains, how could you have bought a car that is noisy and has "jittery" handling?

As to the noise level, I have little to no wind noise, but yes, the road noise is apparent.
But I am still glad that Nissan didn't put 100 pounds of sound deadener on the vehicle as some makes are prone to do.
As a car gets quieter, those things that do make a noise are sometimes more readily noticeable.

BTW, I would not go below 30 pounds of pressure.
That's how all those people died in those Ford explorers. They ran the tires too soft and the tires rolled right over on the wheel.

Take the car back and test drive another one.
Maybe you do have a bad shock or something.
It does happen.

Homer

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, hfelknor, that was quote a lot of sarcasm. I think your assumption that every little nuance about a new car can be felt during a 15 minute test drive is a bit silly. I've heard of dealers handing over the keys to potential buyers for 24 hours- but try to get that to happen here in Soutern Cal. Also, I mentioned in my post that the tire pressure was really cranked up until I checked it myself, giving a different feeling to the ride. Not better or worse, necessarily, just different.

As for the cabin noise, I'm not basing that on some abnormally high standard of mine but rather vs. most other cars I've driven- including my last which was a "traditional" SUV. For over $30K I guess I expected a bit more of the sound deadening material you mentioned.

I guess it could be that the quiet engine and lack of my own tire noise make everything outside seem louder, but I'm not quite convinced- I drove my wife's 325i yesterday on the freeway and it was noticeably quieter inside than my MO.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I run all vehicles at 35#.

Keep an eye on tirewear.
If the outsides wear equally and faster than the middle your tire pressure is too low.
If the centers wear faster than the outsides - you are too high.
If the inside or outside edge wears faster - you have an alignment problem.

Rotate your tires every 7500 miles. Rebalance them every 15K.

The tires on the Murano do seem a bit loud. I've had better and had worse. You'll also find cement is louder than blacktop - which most interstates can be. You might not experience highway driving during a test drive (which is very important as you're more likely to find a problem).

Happy motoring.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
GMTURBO43 said:
IKeep an eye on tirewear.
If the outsides wear equally and faster than the middle your tire pressure is too low.
If the centers wear faster than the outsides - you are too high.
I agree. The correct tire pressure is a function of your vehicle load, speed, as well as temprature. In my upcoming trip through the desert in high temp with three passengers and some small load, I will be running my tires at 39PSI. That should leave enough room for increase in pressure without exceeding maximum. Otherwise, I use factory recommended and moitor my tire wear to see if I need more or less.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts