Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is our first car with TPMS.now that it's getting colder outside, does anyone else find that the low tire pressure light comes on. i check all the pressure in my tires yesterday and the were all around 31psi. is there something wrong with the system?? the screen shows the tires at 29 psi but my digital pressure guage showed 31.

·
Registered
100 Posts
This is normal. Every winter I deal with this because the cold contracts (is that the right word?) the air in the tire, so while your PSI on a warm day may be 35, on a cold day it could be 29. That's just plain physics. I ignore the warnings. The beeps stop after a very short while and once I drive a little ways, the friction of the tires on the roadways heats the air inside, expanding it, so the light eventually goes out because the PSI is now greater.

·
Registered
842 Posts
It is possible that the "O" in the pressure transmitter for the TPMS may have drifted. You also may want to check the accuracy of your hand held on in case it is not reading it right. I personally like the hand held digital ones as they seem to be accurate.

Remember also that the TPMS is part of the car and like all electronics are sensitive to being bounced around. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i figured it's just because of the colder air inside the tires. no need to get service involved.

stoker-what is the "O"??

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Yup! Happens to me also.

I would have thought that they would have designed a temperature compensation into the sensor so that the pressure indicated would have been automatically referenced to standard conditions. (70F / 20C ) Very cheap and easy to do and would have eliminated a lot of silly warnings and cost to the company for dealer calls.

G.

·
Registered
842 Posts
nissanlove said:
yeah i figured it's just because of the colder air inside the tires. no need to get service involved.

stoker-what is the "O"??
When you calibrate a pressure transmitter you ensure that it reads zero ("0") before you put into service. If the zero drifts up (+2-3 PSI) or down the same amount to read in the negative. It will give you a false reading.

I agree with Gripper, a temperature compensator would have eliminated this issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts