Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tire Pressure Warning

On two occassions, both while driving on the freeway for about 30 minutes, I've had the tire pressure warning symbol come on. This is displayed under the tach. Tire pressure are fine. Once I stop and turn the MO off and back on, the symbol clears. During my first service I noted this and the dealer said that resetting the "service notification" fixed the problem. The second occurence happened AFTER the service.

I checked the console display for any errors concerning tire pressure and just the standard symbols were displayed.

Any other experiences out there?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Not on the MO but the Z recently displays -- for the left front longer than the others. You should take it back to the dealer and tell them look, it happened AGAIN. Could be a faulty pressure sensor. I've also heard of some EMI problems with aftermarket add ons with the Z. What I don't know is how the pressure sensors get powered, IE battery?

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Enforcer.... there is a TSB out on this and my salesman mentioned something about this when I saw him. I thought that this should've been fixed quite easily. On our Corvette, you have to set up an magnetic field around it to reset the sensor. Yes, put a round magnet around the valve stem and do some other things. I imagine that it's the same type of technology on the MO. I was hoping that someone had the "owner's" fix. I wonder why the display couldn't show the actual PSI of each tire instead of the little x's.

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow... I'll have to check out the manual. The display only shows the little "stars" and no PSI. The salesman told me that all "stars" meant everything was ok.

Thanks for the tip. Maybe this is all connected.

·
Registered
202 Posts
LKimura said:
The salesman told me that all "stars" meant everything was ok.
I think this belongs in the other thread about the amazing things your salesperson told you about the Murano! Don't these folks ever study up on the merchandise??? :rolleyes:

The display should, indeed, tell you the tire pressure in PSI. If there are stars there, that means that the sensors aren't getting a reading.

Jeff

·
4,664 Posts
That picture makes me want to install the tire pressure receiver and transmitters.... Hmmm I wonder how much that would cost!

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This forum is great. Thanks all for your help. I frequent another forum for Corvettes and it has been a very good place with good interchange. I know that some pages can get very commercial and stuffy. I hope this one can continue on as I see it today.

thanks again...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had this problem when I first bought my Murano, but after I took my car to the dealership for the first 1000 mile oil change. The problem went away, after they resetted my service display.

I know in hot and cold weather conditions, your tire pressure will change.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've had that happen 3 times as well.. just under 1100 miles.
The first was driving home after I bought it (Bought in riverside, live in San Diego - about 80 miles). Restarting the car resolved the problem (after checking for low tires at night on the I15 - yipes)
After doing some reading, I figured out that my new MO was missing it's tire pressure senders (Long story... I'll post it seperately *when* it gets resolved..), and the svc manual indicates that if one or more sender fails to check in after so long (don't recall how long off hand), the warning indicator lights to tell you that something is amiss with the TPMS system, not necessarily with a tire itself..

The other two times it happened to me were on the way back to riverside this morning, and the way back home this afternoon - both times *still* without pressure senders in the wheels.. On the way home they were sitting in the passenger seat, but I guess that doesn't count! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just replied to the other thread on this, but this one had some different stuff to add..

On my MO, because my dealer wanted to make me happy and not stick me with chromed SL rims on an SE for an extra $1k (the dealer he traded with did that switch), They traded wheels with an SE that, just my luck, didn't have VDC/TPMS.. I didn't figure it out until the next day when I read the post here about the service manual (Was that Enforcer? Jaak? Had to be one of those two!), downloaded the service manual - and the other docs including what I can only describe as a "dealer hype sheet"?? I found that you can tell the difference between TPMS wheels and regular wheels by the valve stem. If it's rubber, it's regular.. TPMS, just like on our respective Vette's, has a hard valve stem because it's part of the transmitter.

Mine showed ** because there was no transmitter.. If yours has transmitters but doesn't show up with numbers, it might be that the wheels were swapped and they didn't know they needed to reprogram the computer to the new transmitters. With the consult2 and the transmitter tool, it should only take them a few minutes..

Unfortunately it appears that Nissan is not so clever as the Vette engineers when it comes to user customization.. It's easy to reprogram the pressure senders in a vette.. it doesn't look possible without the consult II on the nissans.. :/

Nissan Fans - don't get me wrong! There are many many clever things they did on the MO.. I just wish they were as user friendly as the vette folks in some areas.. :)

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tkris

Thanks for the guidance. I do have the metal valve stems. I was wondering if there was a way, like on the vette, to correct this error myself. Only a couple minutes? I think I'll give the dealer a call and see if they can fit me in or wait til the next service.

·
Registered
52 Posts
A few minutes is a guess based on the procedure in the service manual.. It's not unlike the procedure for the vette except that you need the consult II to put the computer in the right mode..

From the service manual (this didn't cut and paste so well.. but the gist of it is still there..):

ID Registration Procedure AES000HN
ID REGISTRATION WITH TRANSMITTER ACTIVATION TOOL
This procedure must do after replace transmitter or low tire pressure warning control unit.
1. Turn ignition switch "OFF".
2. Connect CONSULT-II and CONSULT-II CONVERTER to data link connector.
3. Touch �gAIR PRESSURE MONITOR�h, �gWORK SUPPORT�h and �gID REGIST�h.
NOTE:
If "AIR PRESSURE MONITOR" is not indicated, go to GI-38, "CONSULT-II Data Link Connector (DLC)
Circuit" .
4. With the transmitter activation tool (J-45295) pushed against the
front-left transmitter position of the tire air valve, press the button
then keep 5 seconds.
5. Register the IDs in order from FR LH, FR RH, RR RH or RR LH. When ID registration of each wheel has
been completed, a buzzer sounds and hazard warning lamp blinks.
6. After completing all ID registrations, press �gEND�h to complete the procedure.
NOTE:
Be sure to register the IDs in order from FR LH, FR RH, RR RH, to RR LH, or the self-diagnostic results display
will not function properly.
Activation tire position Buzzer Hazard warning lamp CONSULT-II
1 Front LH Once
2 times flashing
�gYET�h
�«
�gDONE�h
2 Front RH 2 times
3 Rear LH 3 times
4 Rear RH 4 times

I should be getting my transmitters installed this week.. I'll get details from them on how long the registration process takes - just in case you have not gotten to it yet..

-tkris

·
Registered
78 Posts
The stars occur until the vehicle tire sensing device properly determines the appropriate pressure. This occurrs on all Muranos.

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Problem Fixed

I went to dealership last week with information I gathered from this forum. TSB information and the picture of the display with PSI readings. The writer just noted to refer to customer's document.

All is working fine now. No icon appearing after driving on the freeway for a period of time as well.

thanks all for your help.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
GRipper

I have a 04 MO with Touring package and No NAV, How do I know if I have the tire pressure monotor system, How do I get it to display, Thanks GD

1 - 20 of 23 Posts