Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a duplicate set of rims for snow tires next year. Got a great deal. However, I checked with the dealer on the price of the sensor stems. . . .WOW . . .$291.00 each list, YES $291.00 each. You can buy many tire gauges for $1164.00. My question is. . .without the sensors, will the low tire pressure warning be on all the time, or will it just ignore the sensors completely, because they are not there?

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
It's my understanding that the tire pressure monitor, if you have the nav, will display " ** " which means that it cannot get a reading.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have the nav, but that is the display given when you first start the car, so I imagine you are correct.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Dennis Fink said:
Conclusions:

Suspect that the TPMS sensors transmit a unique ID code when they send the pressure reading. This would make sense if they transmit a radio signal. You would not want to get the readings from the Murano traveling in the lane next to yours.

Display screen will say "**" and TPMS light in the guages will remain lit when there are no TPMS sensors or when the sensors are not recognized.

If you have two sets of rims with two sets of TPMS sensors, you will have to reset the TPMS monitor to recognize them when you change the rims. Not sure about the '04 model, but my '03 Murano does not have a reset button on the TPMS display screen. Need the dealer's help to get reset. Reset button would be a nice feature. Also, would be nice if the tire wheel location could be registered and indicated on the screen.

Dealer may give you a hard time if you show up with custom rims or rims that are not correct for the model - ie. SL rims on a SE.

Dennis
Exactly correct, except I think the sensors are what have to be reset to the vehicle's ID. There is a specific procedure involving what is believed to be a magnet which is held near each wheel's sensor.

The sensors will work on any wheel that they will fit in.

You shouldn't get a warning if you don't have the sensors installed/set up. The light on the dash may be on though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, then am I to presume that if I have identical wheels, SLalloy, without the TPMS stems installed, I will have not only the "**" on the display but also the red indicator on the dashboard? The "**" I could live with, but the red indicator continuously on would be a problem.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was able to buy the rims for $200 (for four), a great price, but I really don't want to invest in four snow tires to mount on the rims, using standard stems, and then find out I have to put up with the low tire pressure light on all the time. Like I said, I can put up with the "**", but I sure wouldn't like the idea of having the red light on all the time, and I'm not one for unplugging bulbs or using black tape.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Manual says they have to be registered using a Nissan proprietary tool.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Dennis Fink said:
BTW - Unless the dealer had a top-notch pit crew, I don't think they could have researched the problem and pulled every wheel to reset the TPMS sensor in less than 30 minutes. Besides, the custom wheels have locks on the hub covers and lugnuts that require special keys that were not in the vehicle and they did not ask me about them.
You don't even have to remove the wheels from the vehicle, let alone remove the tires from the wheels. You hold the "proprietary tool" near the valve stems.

·
4,664 Posts
I wonder if the TPMS module is unplugged while the Murano is off, if the system will just assume you didn't get the option and not pester you about it...

·
MOtivated!
50 Posts
On the same subject,
What order are the pressures displayed in? How can I tell which tire has which pressure so that I am sure to inflate the right one? (if none are very obviously low, of course).

·
Registered
834 Posts
I think it's driver, passenger, rear passenger, rear passenger behind driver.

DoItFun said:
On the same subject,
What order are the pressures displayed in? How can I tell which tire has which pressure so that I am sure to inflate the right one? (if none are very obviously low, of course).

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
DoItFun said:
On the same subject,

The sensors are in no preset order. Its whichever order the dealer originally initialized them in. That said, its not too difficult to figure out which is which after watching the readings for a while.

·
Registered
52 Posts
re: Will TPMS warn if all 4 show *

To answer the question someone asked earlier.. will TPMS alert you if all 4 wheels show * in the readings, Yes. After about 50+ miles in a single trip, the tire low icon on the dash will light and it will ding at you once.. As long as you realize this is because you don't have TPMS on those rims (if you have an alternate set), you can ignore it and it won't bug you again.. but the light will stay on until the MO is turned off and back on.

I know this because my TPMS equipped SEAWD was delivered to me without TPMS sensors in the wheels, and my dealer was about 60-80 miles from my house.. on the initial trip home, and on the trip back to get the problem resolved (they ordered and installed and programmed the TPMS sensors), the MO reported a tire pressure warning after about 50 miles.

Not a big deal, but if you're not expecting it, it's a little unnerving that it warns you for no apparent reason..

I'm happy I have the TPMS sensors, but I wouldn't pay list price for a second set if I lived someplace that warranted a second set of rims and snow tires..

Hope this helps someone..

--Kris

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm reviving this thread for fall, and thus winter, and snow tires (another thread) will be with us soon. I have this great set of wheels for snow tires but no sensors for them. Two questions: 1) Are there lower cost alternatives to the Schrader sensors, or at least, lower than $291 ea. that Nissan wants? 2) How do you turn off the sensor system so you will not get the flat tire warning on the dash?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I don't have my TPMS sensors installed for years now, but never have any problem with the low pressure indicator. Anyway today the indicator light came on and then the annoying buzzing went off too, what's going on??? it says 'flat tire please check all tires'

I never have this problem before, is there anyway I can reset the monitor on the screen?? I did unhook the battery but still the light still on and the buzzing sound too.

Please help

·
Banned
43 Posts
I wonder if the TPMS module is disconnected while the Murano is off if the system will just assume that you do not get a chance and do not worry about it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts