Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Murano with this feature. Yesterday was the first really cold day here in Toronto and on my way home from work this warning light came up along with a scary loud alarm. Scared the S*!#t out of me. I pulled over and found the manual and read that it was my tire pressure alarm. I checked my psi and it had dropped to 27 because of the cold. I topped up the air in the tires but the light did not go away. This morning I figured it would be gone but it wasn't. I checked the display and it now still said I had a flat tire but all my psi readings were over 31. I called nissan when I got to work and they told me I had to drive for about 10 miles before that light goes out. It did eventually go out but it would have been nice to have read that in the manual. Who's supposed to know that!

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Takes driving

G.

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
Hi again Ella.. looks like its the Don and EPA show tonight..

The tire pressure system is the one thing I regret buying, but I wanted the AWD, Nav and VDC so I'm sure I didn't have much of a choice back in '03. My light stays on all winter. That's right. Never goes out during the winter. Never. No matter what. You'll get used to starting off each morning with that alarm. Works better than coffee at waking you up :) If you want to fight with it, you can keep putting air in, taking air out, driving around, blah blah blah. You can go to the dealer but they won't solve it.

On the upside, its generally better behaved during the spring and fall, and never a problem during the summer.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gee, that's really interesting that your light stays on all winter. I guess now that I know it isn't a real emergency I won't get so freaked out. I've owned many vehicles in my day and driven through many winters never inflating and deflating my tires. I've never owned a car with a tire pressure gauge and I think I'd rather not know. If the tire looks low, I fill it up. That's the technology I'm comfortable with!

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
Exactly. I believe Walmart sells replacement tire stem caps that actually show a bright green, yellow, or red top indicating the condition of your pressure in such a way that you can see from a distance. Of course, since different people prefer or require different tire pressures, they make caps rated for different pressures.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I usually get this too on the first really cold day of the season. I up my tire pressure to 35 or 36 which reads about 31-32 inside and it stops the warning sound. Scares the crap out of my 2 year old.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had the same problems. Sidewall on the stock goodyears says max 42 psi, so i topped them up to 37. Never saw 40 even warm. Took Moe in for an oil change, and you guessed it, all tires are back at 32, but I haven't had another cold snap yet.

I think it is still a good feature despite the pita factor because I firmly believe most people don't check tire pressure.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
If your tire pressure light stays on all winter, and your pressures are ok, then there is something wrong with the system. If it stays on because you really do have low pressure and don't care, then you will suffer greater tire wear and lower fuel economy.

I admit I find the TPMS an unnecessary feature (for me anyways). I check my tire pressure very often so its just another part to break one day. However, I do think its nice to have to tell you early on if you have a flat tire since by the time you feel the "flub flub flub" wobbling of a flat tire, the tire is pretty much ruined.

·
Registered
29 Posts
regret?

EasternPA said:
Hi again Ella.. looks like its the Don and EPA show tonight..

The tire pressure system is the one thing I regret buying, but I wanted the AWD, Nav and VDC so I'm sure I didn't have much of a choice back in '03. My light stays on all winter. That's right. Never goes out during the winter. Never. No matter what.
I too, wanted VDC, AWD and Nav, and got the TPMS w/o really knowing all that much about it. Last year I heard that Piercing alarm tone and it kinda freaked me out, not to mention how non-descript the exclamation point is on the dash.. doesn't really indicate a tire issue as much as it conveyed to me.. "STOP.. THIS IS BAD!"

Well, it turns out it wasn't a great situation, the light and tone came back time and time again, and after looking up the dash light in the manual, I checked the pressure and A tire (wasn't sure which was which, top to bottom doesn't necessarily mean front to back or right to left Iv'e been told) was low. Turns out I had a huge nail in one of my tires... W/o the TPMS, I wouldn't have known this until it was probably too late, and stuck changing my tire on the side of the road.

Just be careful if/when you replace a tire, there's risk of the stem breaking in the dismouting process. This $100+ risk is just as possible w/ a Nissan Dealership doing the work as it is w/ a local tire shop. My Nissan service advisor in Boston area told me to save my $$ on the tire and go to a local shop, and if the stem did break, at least I"d pay far less for the tire itself that if I went through him and got the tire from Nissan.

Loud and annoying? Yeah.... Worth the incovenience? No question..

just my 2 cents

-bar

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
Eric L. said:
If your tire pressure light stays on all winter, and your pressures are ok, then there is something wrong with the system. If it stays on because you really do have low pressure and don't care, then you will suffer greater tire wear and lower fuel economy.
Once a tire goes flat from damage, I don't repair it. I used to do that when I was younger, but after having a tire explode at 83mph, I will never do it again.

As far as it being too low, I guess I could pump them up a bit during the winter, but I really don't like the handling at 35+ psi. The Nissan dealer once returned the Mo to me with a couple tires pumped to 37, and the handling was terrible.. like I was standing on a boad balanced on a basketball. May not be noticeable in the 50s or 60s, but at 80 or 90 plus, the slightest movements have major effects. Of course, I may not be hitting 90 for a while since I'm "in the 4 to 7 inch band" tonight. I'll put in a few more pounds and see if the alarm stops acting up. The flat (whichever one that is, again TPMS is pretty useless) has been showing 27 for weeks, so it could use a little bit of a boost.

·
Registered
49 Posts
In my case, the "flat tire" warning [displayed at 27PSI] turned off if I cycled the maintenance button on the dash to tire pressure display, then held the button in for a couple of seconds. Better than driving around until it goes out. It was alarming to get the warning of a "flat tire" when it still had 27 psi, but I suppose I'd rather know too soon than too late.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
If the tire only has 27# in it, continued driving will weaken it. That is exactly how all those Firestones came apart.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts