Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought my Mo into the Nissan dealer for an oil change last week. Speaking with the service mgr, I'm told that Nissan now recommends that all 4x4's rotate tires every 3,750. This includes AWD vehicles too. Has anyone heard of this and can confirm it?

Unfortunately, I'm forced to do it in order to maintain my free tires for life contract with the dealer. It doesn't bother me too much, since the added cost of the more frequent tire rotation doesn't come close to the cost of new tires.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
AWD Muranos spend 99% of their time in FWD mode, so I wouldn't consider it a 4x4. I rotate mine every 7500 miles.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I usually rotate the tires on my Mo every 12000 Kms, that is what I have set the maintenance alarm for in the vehicle. On my over FWD cars I have found that rotating them every year in the spring works well to at 20,000Km. However, as always it to depends on how and where you drive and road conditions.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured 7,500miles, which is what the manual recommends is fine.

I agree with Eric, that since the Murano is FWD most of the time, and the time that the AWD kicks in has got to be minimal.

I'll mention it to my dealers service mgr and see what he says at my next oil change.

·
4,664 Posts
Depends on your driving, but on my Murano they wear very differently from front to back, so regular rotation has kept them pretty well even. I did see a big difference when I missed one.

I do the recommended period, whatever that is. (Too lazy to look...)

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
jaak said:
Depends on your driving, but on my Murano they wear very differently from front to back, so regular rotation has kept them pretty well even. I did see a big difference when I missed one.

I do the recommended period, whatever that is. (Too lazy to look...)
Its 7500. Mr. 7500 to be exact. :D

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I guess I'm lazy... every 10,000 miles. So far all have been wearing pretty evenly so I don't see a need to do it more frequently. :4:

·
Registered
48 Posts
My mainenancePgk I worked with my deal says oil 3,500 miles, tires 7500 miles. Also dealer threw in state inspections. Maintence package goes up to 48,000 miles.

·
5,268 Posts
Every 5,000 miles here.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Kris said:
Every 5,000 miles here.
I rotate my tires twice a day, every day, whether I drive the car or not.

Actually, 7,500. Now do we all do the criss cross the fronts to the rears, and move the rears straight up to the fronts? That's what "the book says".

I had to talk the tire guy into doing that, I actually had to show him the book, he was quite sure that FWD's went simply back to front, front to back.

Speaking of maintenece, I just had my first $40 fill up. I really enjoyed that! (I hate it, when those twenties rub together for too long)

:)

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Mr3Putt said:

Actually, 7,500. Now do we all do the criss cross the fronts to the rears, and move the rears straight up to the fronts? That's what "the book says".

I had to talk the tire guy into doing that, I actually had to show him the book, he was quite sure that FWD's went simply back to front, front to back.
If you have the stock GoodYears, then YES, you should criss-cross them. There are only 2 reason to NOT do this:
1) If you have DIRECTIONAL tread, because switching sides would make it run the wrong direction.
2) If you have different sizes of tires on front/back then obviously you should only switch side-to-side (I doubt that anyone has this case on a MO, but some high-performance sports cars will be like this)

Avoid that "tire guy" like the plague. What the hell was he smoking? Anyone that works with tires should know this.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
I know some of you will argue with me but I belong to the school of thought that belives in NOT criss crossing steel belted radials. In my time I have seen too many steel belted radial tires that had separated belts after several hundred miles of driving after they were criss crossed (indicated by vibration that progressively gets worse) and just don't want to take that chance.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I agree, I don't cross them either. In the past I've had numerous issues with pulling that was contributed to "belt shift".

Whether is BS or not I don't know. So long as the tires wear evenly than I don't think it matters how you roate them if at all (in theory).

·
Registered
844 Posts
Gonzo said:
I agree, I don't cross them either. In the past I've had numerous issues with pulling that was contributed to "belt shift".

Whether is BS or not I don't know. So long as the tires wear evenly than I don't think it matters how you roate them if at all (in theory).
I agree, I have never cross my tires, the go from front to back and back again on the same side. My tires have always been miled out evenly on all four.

·
4,664 Posts
Wow, never knew that was even an issue. The first set of GY's were done as per Nissan's reccomendations. No problems at all. I'll continue to do that with the second set, because, in spite of the GY bashing, which I normally do as well, I've not found evidence in the posts here, that they're significantly worse, and have even been found to be better, than other brands.

I'm now driving on my spare as well, so it only cost me three tires. (Full size spare in Canada)

I'll let you know if anything strange happens on the second set... Matter of fact, I'll be watching for it!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
jaak, are you going to go for GY again?

I know that I like them, but I have no snow.
Seems that up north it would be more prudent to get something with a more agressivetread.

OTOH those light truck tires could sure ruin the Murano smoothness.

Homer

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
hfelknor said:
jaak, are you going to go for GY again?

I know that I like them, but I have no snow.
Seems that up north it would be more prudent to get something with a more agressivetread.

OTOH those light truck tires could sure ruin the Murano smoothness.

Homer
If you're in an area that has snow for part of the year, you need another set of tires for that. Get a good set of snow-tires and have them mounted on $25 rims so they're easy to change when necessary. Don't do studded tires, they don't give that much of a benefit over GOOD snow tires, and they REALLY chew up the roads, especially on larger/heavier vehicles like the MO.

It means that part of the year you're going to be driving on ugly steel rims (unless you fork out the big bucks for alloy wheels) but it also means that your tires are going to last a lot longer.

The snow tires for my wife's car have outlasted 2.5 sets of normal tires.

Don't want to have ugly rims? Tire stores will swap the tires off your rims for a minimal charge when the season changes.

Bottom line is that another set of tires specific for snow is a very good idea. You can get excellent snow/ice traction without giving up the smooth ride during the summer months. Sure, you're having to shell out money for an additional set of tires, but they're going to last a long time because they don't get as much use.

(Sorry to hijack the thread)

·
4,664 Posts
Yup Homer, I read through all the threads on tires, some good, some thought they would be better than the GY's, but none that stood out and screamed that they were quieter and better performing in any significant way.

I've been happy with the GY's so I thought, why buy 4 tires when I can buy 3. Messed up GY as they had 4 in stock. (Simpsons kid going "HA HA".) So my spare is on the road now, with the other three.

For winter, I have never needed winter tires. Combination of driving skills and road conditions, but more road conditions. The GTA (Greater Toronto Area) is somewhere around 5 million people, so the roads get cleared, sanded, salted, whatever is needed, to allow the traffic to continue to flow well. I've never had any issues with the GY's in the snow, but I agree snow tires would give a bit better grip (and be a lot noisier).

If I lived in Montreal, or Ottawa, it's likely I'd think differently.

I have a four spare SL rims now, thanks to another forum member and some exchange of cash.

I ask my wife and my daughter what my next car should be, and they keep telling me another Murano. So the plan so far is to get another in late 2006, like a 2007 model, fully loaded, put on the SL wheels and throw some snows on the SE wheels. I may get the SL wheels either chromed or polished. I like the look of polished aluminum... :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts