Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Love to live w/ MO
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so guys, i did my tire rotation successfully.

but there is a problem. my TPMS is not showing the pressure on the first one. i.e. i dont know in which sequence does the tpms show the tire pressures. so i have the following display

** 37 38 37 PSI

so according to my knowledge it is Left Front tire
right ?

if so, then what could be the reason ?

PS> this tire was located on Left Rear and was giving the perfect display before.
i put the spare tire at Right Rear.
right rear to right front
right front to left rear
and left rear to left front
left front is now my spare tire

·
Registered
45 Posts
That is the oddest thing I've ever heard. Where are the reading mechanisms? I would have guessed they would be within a foot or so of the monitor, since the tires have to be revolving to actually read anything.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is very odd. This might make my latest thought not worthwhile.

When I got new wheels for the MO, I didn't have a chance to get the TPMS monitors for them, so I was thinking I would get them for when I need to replace the tires. However, if only four of them can be registered with the car, and the dealer has to change them, then that would be a major PITA. I will be using the stock wheels in the winter and my new ones as summer wheels, so the change would have to be several times a year. Why can't we do this at home if it is truly the way it operates?

·
Love to live w/ MO
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well just checked it yesterday and TPMS is giving all the readings. apparently it needed 3 or 4 days to figure out the pressure inside the new tire.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Interesting, so a Canadian Murano with the full sized spare has a TPMS inside the spare as well? What does the display show, 5 tires?

If the display shows 4 readings how does it know how to distinguish the spare from the actual tires on the road?

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is very interesting. I have had the new wheels on for a couple weeks, and I have had the flat tire warning appear a couple times on long trips. I haven't found any rhyme or reason to it showing up though, as the commute is about 15 miles each way, and sometimes it comes on, sometimes not. My new wheels do NOT have the sensors in them, so nothing shows up on the screen. I have not tried putting the stock wheels back on, but I imagine if I did everything would be fine after a short period.

I did rotate the stock tires once before I took them off, and it took a little while before the pressures registered on screen again.

·
Love to live w/ MO
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eric L. said:
Interesting, so a Canadian Murano with the full sized spare has a TPMS inside the spare as well? What does the display show, 5 tires?

If the display shows 4 readings how does it know how to distinguish the spare from the actual tires on the road?
indeed a good question Eric. i am pretty sure its telling me 4 tires in the display. (i will confirm it by tonight).

as far as recognizing the new tire is concerned, i would say that the new tire is added to the beginning of the sequence, as i said in my first post above, the sequence is ** 37 38 37 PSI so apparently, it pushes the un-identified tire (now the spare one) out of the sequence and makes room for the new one. now i am pretty sure it wouldnt matter where i placed my spare tire. i.e. had i put it in left front, it would still give me same sequence.

i am heading to dealership on tuesday for my left front speakers checked up (as they are giving some weired noise and my subwoofer) as well. so i will talk to the service manager about it as well as my alternator since i havent recieved the notification yet but my part number is listed in the memo.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I'm glad I saved money and bought a tire gauge.

·
Love to live w/ MO
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GMTURBO43 said:
actually it came as a standard, since Canadian SE models have all the bling bling nissan offers (excpet for navigation).

in other words, you cannot get an SL with tpms or HID lights or VDC....

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
hasaanbhutta said:

indeed a good question Eric. i am pretty sure its telling me 4 tires in the display. (i will confirm it by tonight).

as far as recognizing the new tire is concerned, i would say that the new tire is added to the beginning of the sequence, as i said in my first post above, the sequence is ** 37 38 37 PSI so apparently, it pushes the un-identified tire (now the spare one) out of the sequence and makes room for the new one. now i am pretty sure it wouldnt matter where i placed my spare tire. i.e. had i put it in left front, it would still give me same sequence.

i am heading to dealership on tuesday for my left front speakers checked up (as they are giving some weired noise and my subwoofer) as well. so i will talk to the service manager about it as well as my alternator since i havent recieved the notification yet but my part number is listed in the memo.
Yeah but how would it know you now put the LF in the trunk? If the display only shows 4 numbers, then it sounds like you put one of your TMPS equipped tires into the trunk and one of your wheels on the road has no TPMS. The sensors themselves are inside the wheels. Does your owners manual tell you to use the full size spare as part of the tire rotation? I know this is normally the practice but if it does not have a TMPS sensor inside, it should not be used as a permanent road wheel.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
GMTURBO43 said:
I think the TPMS is a waste of money too but it comes with VDC, which is a sensible safety option for any vehicle.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I know this is normally the practice but if it does not have a TMPS sensor inside, it should not be used as a permanent road wheel.
Why not?? We all got along for years without TPMS. It is just as good a tire/wheel!
I routinely use a 5 tire rotation with no TPMS in the 5th wheel. So one doesn't monitor. So what!
Wnen my snow tires/wheels are on, I have no monitoring at all. I don't lose any sleep over it!

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
ekaxel said:

Why not?? We all got along for years without TPMS. It is just as good a tire/wheel!
I routinely use a 5 tire rotation with no TPMS in the 5th wheel. So one doesn't monitor. So what!
Wnen my snow tires/wheels are on, I have no monitoring at all. I don't lose any sleep over it!
For those of us who actually measure tire pressure with an external guage, then there shouldn't be a problem. However, I take TPMS as a tool for those who don't want to be bothered kneeling down to unscrew a valve cap and poke in the guage to get a reading - in such a case, it would be prudent that in order to keep all four tires properly inflated and monitored they should each have a sensor. Many of us would be surprised how many people don't know to keep their tires properly inflated, with or without TPMS.

Also I do not see much use in monitoring the pressure of the tire in the trunk, and leaving one tire on the road unmonitored.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
The one in the trunk doesn't read much. Receiver placement I guess. Canadian cars with 5 would get confused otherwise.

BTW, I DO have (and use) a tire gauge (note spelling).

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
ekaxel said:
Ta tire gauge (note spelling).
Noted.

I am still wondering though, whether Canadian Muranos have 5 TPMS sensors. The owners manual (which appears to be the same for US and Canadian Muranos, as it does list Canada specs too) specifies a four wheel rotation that does not use the spare tire I think (although I agree for careful owners, its no big deal).

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Dennis Fink said:
I believe that the sensors transmit at different time intervals based upon whether the wheel is in motion or was recently in motion.

My guess is that the Canadian Muranos only have 4 sensors and that the spare does not have one. This would mean that the reading that finally appeared in hasaanbhutta's Murano actually came from the spare in the trunk. It appeared because the wheel was shaken sufficiently so that the sensor thought it was in motion and decided to send a reading.

Definitely a plausible explaination. I like it.

·
Love to live w/ MO
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dennis Fink said:
I believe that the sensors transmit at different time intervals based upon whether the wheel is in motion or was recently in motion.

My guess is that the Canadian Muranos only have 4 sensors and that the spare does not have one. This would mean that the reading that finally appeared in hasaanbhutta's Murano actually came from the spare in the trunk. It appeared because the wheel was shaken sufficiently so that the sensor thought it was in motion and decided to send a reading.

hmmm..... does that mean if i take my tire (now spare ) out of the car, the tire pressure for the new one should turn back to ** ?????

my assumption is the sensor is located somewhere on the wheelbase (around brakes) and the sensor detects the pressure from the tire (obviously tire is equipped with some kind of reverse sensor as well) and hence it gets the reading while tire is in motion. so the 4 th reading i got was probably that of spare tire which was equipped with the sensor as well.

while writing this message i called up on to my dealer and the dude told me the sensor would work only when it gets the reading from the tire in motion.

but i will check my car in a bit to see how many readings are showing up on the screen.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
hasaanbhutta said:

hmmm..... does that mean if i take my tire (now spare ) out of the car, the tire pressure for the new one should turn back to ** ?????

my assumption is the sensor is located somewhere on the wheelbase (around brakes) and the sensor detects the pressure from the tire (obviously tire is equipped with some kind of reverse sensor as well) and hence it gets the reading while tire is in motion. so the 4 th reading i got was probably that of spare tire which was equipped with the sensor as well.

while writing this message i called up on to my dealer and the dude told me the sensor would work only when it gets the reading from the tire in motion.

but i will check my car in a bit to see how many readings are showing up on the screen.
No the sensor is attached to the inside surface of the wheel (in the space within a mounted tire). Hence if you remove the wheel and tire, the sensor goes with it.

Attachments

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
All so true BUT the New Law says, This is

BIG Daddy and I'll take care of you even if you don't need or want it and by the way I may not do it right.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Where is the receiver though? Is there a receiver close to each wheel, i.e. out by the brake somewhere, or is it just the computer in the car?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts