Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 09 Murano, and the tire pressure sensor is always on, despite the tire pressures all being fine. Is there a way to figure out which tire has a bad sensor?

Also, we only have one key. it's the style where you put the fob into the slot on the dash. Is that something I can pick up at the wrecking yard and have reprogrammed, providing it's the right #?

·
Registered
149 Posts
The tire pressure sensor has a battery in it and they have a certain life. Mine lasted about 8 years before I had to have them replaced.

As for the key fob. You do not have to stick out into the slot to start the car, IF the battery inside of it has not died. Just keep it in your pocket and start it. You do have replace that battery inside of the fob every 3-4 years or so, and that's an esdy diy job. To get an extra fob, that will have to come from the dealer and it will cost you big bucks. $200+ or more, unless that's changed in the last few years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hey guys, I have a 09 Murano, and the tire pressure sensor is always on, despite the tire pressures all being fine. Is there a way to figure out which tire has a bad sensor?

Also, we only have one key. it's the style where you put the fob into the slot on the dash. Is that something I can pick up at the wrecking yard and have reprogrammed, providing it's the right #?
Dorman makes an aftermarket key FOB kit (99159): https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-99159-Keyless-Entry-Remote/dp/B01CS3JCIC/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1493752049&sr=1-1&keywords=dorman+99159

I haven't used it so can't personally vouch for how well it works or how easy it is to set up. It does come with an OBDII programmer, but you'll need to get the physical key cut so you can get in the car should the keyless entry system not work (e.g. dead battery). There are YouTube videos that walk through the programming process.

·
Registered
407 Posts
You can try adjusting the air up or down a few pounds one tire at a time, then check the inflation pressures on your display until you locate the one that is turning on your TPMS warning light.

My TPMS batteries were still good after 16 years for my 2003. Although the last year or so I did experience short TPMS warning light events occasionally, first for one tire, then two. I was pretty surprised the batteries lasted so long!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can try adjusting the air up or down a few pounds one tire at a time, then check the inflation pressures on your display until you locate the one that is turning on your TPMS warning light.
I haven't seen where it indicates which tire it's complaining about, is that an option on the screen somewhere?

·
Registered
149 Posts
2009+ unfortunately does not have the option to check individual tire pressure. If a tire is under inflated, I think the procedure is to inflate all tires to 32 psi and drive for 5 minutes or so at least at 30 mph and that will send a signal from each tire's sensor to the computer and it will turn off the tpm light of everything is ok. If all tires are properly inflated and the light stays on, then you have at lest one bad sensor. I'm not aware of a diy way to tell, you have to take it to a tire store that has the diagnostic equipment.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I haven't seen where it indicates which tire it's complaining about, is that an option on the screen somewhere?
My 2003 had a TPMS screen that would show the individual pressure for all four tires. However, the display didn't indicate in which corner of the car the tire was mounted...

My 2019 is the same, it displays the individual pressures. However, it also shows in which corner of the car the tire is mounted, much more useful.

I'm surprised the 2nd gen Muranos omitted displaying the individual pressure for each tire...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I don't know what the story is, but with our Murano it doesn't start with the key just being in proximity. If we hit the button it shows a little "Insert key dummy" graphic on the instrument panel. Based on what I saw here I changed the battery in the remote but that didn't change things. Did Nissan have the proximity key as an option in 2009?

I bought the Dorman kit, but it appears as though it can't program it without a working proximity key.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So Nissan says that the proximity key was an option in 09, so mine probably doesn't have it. Dorman says their prox key fob will NOT work in a non-prox key car, so I guess it's back to square 1.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Wow, i did not realize that. It's been a while since I bought mine new, but I thought I remembered being told that all 2009s had the prox sensor as standard.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
More "Fun with Keys". I talked to Nissan again, both parts and service. Here's the fun bit. The key fob is the same regardless of whether or not you have the proximity key feature. They don't program the key, they program the car to accept the key. So you can take the Dorman, or a wrecking yard fob to them and providing it's the right one they can program the car to take it, for a nominal $63.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts