Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

i found a awesome deal on LE 20" wheels ($50 for all! ). they need tires. i currently have 2018 murano 20" OEM chrome wheels for Summers and my ugly stock 18" with dunlop winter tires for winter duty.
i love the look of the 20" so i was happy to find an set off a 2010 LE to run for winters.
i now found a set of Pirelli Sottozeros in 255/55/20 for dirt cheap with only 1000 miles on them. i got them and then realized that they were 255/55 and not 255/50.
tires were so dirt cheap that i want to use keep them and use them.
For my Summer i have 235/55/20 bridgestones (taken off a 2018 murano with 5 miles on them) and dont like the skinny tire look from behind but since tires were practically new im going to keep them. i had made me research and a favorite alternative size is 255/50/20.

will 255/55/20 tires work fine with no rubbing issues on stock 20s or will i need spacers to clear strut.?

thank you

·
Super Moderator
8,069 Posts
There's another question - do the wheels clear the brake calipers? Chances are they do, but it's worth checking. The offset on the wheels is also a major factor in clearance for fenders and struts. If you know the wheel brand and modek, might be worth checking specs online.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they are oem 20" wheels off a 2010 NIssan Murano LE so the specs are
20x7.5 + 50. i know for sure there wont be a problems with clearing calipers.
my question is if the 255/55 will hit the bottom of the strut because of the high offset of OEM wheels.

·
Registered
857 Posts
the 55 is the height of the sidewall. You will be running about 58 Mph at 55 Mph showing going from 50 to 55 on sidewall height. You have to worry about the 255, which is width. I've seen Murano users go to a 260 width, with a little rubbing on a hard tight corner on the front inside of the tires.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know the that 55 is the tires sidewall height....
i ran 265/60/18s before on my stock 18s. which is the equivalent of 265/50/20
my question was if someone has fitted 255/55/20s on their car with the stock 20" +50 offset wheels or if spacers were necessary..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
check if your wheels clear the brake calipers man it's important

what? LE and SL come with same size rotors and calipers as far as i know.
i have a 2011 SL with factory 18s with same offset and these wheels came from a 2010 LE. its not like the 20" wheels are deep dish or concave to the point i need to worry about clearance issues. lol
i have mounted and driven for 10k miles on 2018 LE's 20" wheels with the same offset and is practically the same wheel but chrome.
i know for a fact that the wheels fit as is the same gen and almost the same year. is not like LEs came with 6 pot big brakes up front lol
im not a noob to cars or modding cars. i figured id save myself the $25 that costs to mount a tire and trying on my car to see if it fits but i guess thats a cost i can eat to answer my own question.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looks like the center bore, bolt pattern, and offset is the same for 2010 and 2018 Muranos, so it should work. There are a couple of people that have posted here which have or are using 255/55R20's. As stated above, the speedometer will be off, but only by 2.6%. I might worry more about braking, as wheel speed sensors control ABS and traction control. In addition, taller tires are a bit harder on your brakes. Also realize that your spare tire will be the wrong size (especially for an AWD model).

·
Registered
74 Posts
I live in florida I drive one set of tires till they wear out lol. I just worry about making sure I change all four at the same time because of the awd.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts