Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the factory Goodyear LS with a slightly larger tire. I purchased a set of Kumhos 265/60s which really improved the handling (very noisy) but I noticed the steering wheel vibrated at 50 mph. After three trips back to the tire store they agreed to replace the tires and I went with Geolanders in the same size. Same problem, wheel shimmy at 50 mph. The replaced those tires with another set of Kumhos and had the same problem. I took it to the dealer and had them rebalance the tires and align all four wheels ($210). The vibration was worse than before. I took the car back to the same tire dealer and they installed another set of Geolanders on it. This makes my fourth set and the steering wheel stills has the shimmy in it at 55mph. The tires have been road forced balanced (12, 11, 6, & 9- all within Nissan's spec). I'm out of ideas and patience. Anyone have any idea what I need to do next? The car has never been in a wreck and the old GYs, while not great tires, rode smooth with no vibration. Looking for help on this one.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
A good effort on the search function is in order

There are many threads and posts about many of us who have fought the good battle about balancing tires on the MO. Too many for me to list, you willlfind them on the forum and lear a lot from both the search and the posts. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
After I had my Tire Rack purchased Michelins installed at a local BJ's, I had to bring it back twice to have them rebalanced until they got it right. The first time I took it to another BJ's and they said one tire was out of balance, the 2nd time I brought it back to the original BJ's and they said 2 tires were out of balance. Fortunately when Bj's installs your tires you get free tire rotations and balancing for life (for only $9 per tire, including installation!). So I'm betting it's not the tires, it's the guys balancing the tires thats the problem.

·
5,244 Posts
My original tires on Murano never needed balancing. Same on FX
Once I put new tires the problems started. Many trips to the tire dealer. I am not sure if they know what they are doing.....such a waste of time....

In my opinion if you have Murano SL (softer suspension) you cannot have truck tires as you will always feel vibrations. Some are more sensitive than others. Anyway, I will never put truck tires on my Murano. One of the reasons being vibrations and harshness.

The only advise I can give you - keep going the the tire dealer. He installed the tires, he needs to fix them.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts