Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me the problems I will face if I change the stock tires to 265/60/18 or somthing close to that.

I am told that my speedometer will be off by 2.9 mph

and that I will mess up the shifting and timing of the engine.

Can some one please advise if there is a performance loss.

TYIA

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Off by 2.9 mph in which direction? Your speedo is probably about 3% low right now. You really probably won't even notice it, but you do have to be aware of where you are. If the new tires are smaller in diameter, you should be about right on!

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
It's not that simple. You can specify a percent off, or an amount off at a certain speed, but saying 2.9mph off isn't right.

And saying you're probably 3% under already is wrong too. Speedometers can be off by up to 10%, but just because one is off, doesn't mean they all are. I've tested mine numerous times, and it's exactly correct.

The stock wheels/tires are an overall diameter of 30.03". 265/60/18 will give you an overall diameter of 30.52", which is only 1.6% larger than stock. So at 100mph, your speedometer might read 98mph (if it was exactly correct to begin with).

My dealership first tried to tell me the tires I wanted wouldn't fit, then what you were told, that it would mess up the speedometer and transmission shifting. It's all B.S. The tires I was talking about are 255/60/18, which are only 0.07% larger than stock!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when the speedometer says 60 mph the MO is actually going 62.9

So I want to know what effect that will have on the MO :)

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
They will put it closer to perfect, but still a bit off. It'll be more like 61.8ish with those tires.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am still hearing from some people that I will have problems with the MO, but i see many people that change the tires and dont say they have any issues with them.

If you use this calculator, you will be able to see the difference:

http://www.discountpartcenter.com/tirecalc.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts