Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the impression many times in the past that the car exhibited excessive vibrations. The source appeared to be the wheels. Yesterday, I started driving, after the car was parked for 4 days, and immediately noticed vibrations. However, after a few miles the vibrations went away.

I remember reading on the FX board people complaining about flat spots on tires. Could it be the same case? Has anyone out there experienced similar problems?

I noticed this issue several times. And when I think back it was always after extended “parking” period and lasted only several miles.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I've parked for three weeks before, and did not notice flat spotting. Although this was in a garage and I tend to keep my tires inflated higher than specs anyways (37F, 34R).

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Feathers anyone?

No flat spots but I seem to have some minor feathering going on with the front tires.
I rotated the tires, the dealer said too much air in the tires. I said "you delivered the car to me that way". We have rotated them during its second oil change. Now after a few thousand miles the the good tires from the back now on the front are starting to feather. Can I ask a couple of you guys to run your hands across the outer tire tread and post if you have any ridges stepping up in one direction? Anyone else deal with this? Am I correct, is this a toe-in or out problem? Should I be covered under warranty if this was delivered in this condition?
Thanks in advance.
Bob1

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: Feathers anyone?

bob1 said:
No flat spots but I seem to have some minor feathering going on with the front tires.
I rotated the tires, the dealer said too much air in the tires. I said "you delivered the car to me that way". We have rotated them during its second oil change. Now after a few thousand miles the the good tires from the back now on the front are starting to feather. Can I ask a couple of you guys to run your hands across the outer tire tread and post if you have any ridges stepping up in one direction? Anyone else deal with this? Am I correct, is this a toe-in or out problem? Should I be covered under warranty if this was delivered in this condition?
Thanks in advance.
Bob1
I am also having this problem.

I have had the tires rotated, and balanced.

The dealer said the alignment was perfect.

Happened again. I had the tires replaced and balanced. I ask to have a four wheel alignment but they did not do it.

I'm begining to not trust the dealer. I have less than 5000 miles and this is not an acceptable condition (tires destroyed every 1500 miles).

I'm am not sure at this point what I will do but I can't go on with this car like this.

Steve

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I have not noticed the tires wearing unevenly. I run 37F, 34R for inflation pressures, and had the steering rack TSB performed early on. That is most likely the source of poor wheel alignment.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
To my fine feathered friends.

Had the car at the dealer to zero in on the slight feathering.
Thanks to one of you, (I can't remember who) that posted alignments are covered free of charge in the first 12000 miles, I'm going in next week for a freebee.

I urge all of you below 12000 miles to go out and run your hands over the tires and feel for a step up or down on the edges. Take advantage of this service if you have this issue before you hit 12000.

Thanks again to the poster.
Was it you Jaak or Kris?

Bob1

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
A food for thought..

Isnt it partially good news if this goodyear eagle tires worn out unevenly? We can get our hands on those better tire brand and model soon :rolleyes:
Of course, having bad aligntment or under/over inflation is not a good thing, it may be inherently dangerous.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: Re: Feathers anyone?

Steve Richards said:

I am also having this problem.

I have had the tires rotated, and balanced.

The dealer said the alignment was perfect.

Happened again. I had the tires replaced and balanced. I ask to have a four wheel alignment but they did not do it.

ISteve
I spoke with the service manager a few days after, and he once again claimed the problem was tire pressure.

I asked him what the pressure was before and after. He said it was at 30 and 29 (fronts only). I checked before I dropped it off and my guage said 32 and 31.

When I received the car back the new tires had pressure close to 40 on my guage, he said they filled them to 36.

The specs on the door say 33.

I'm going to monitor the pressure weekly and make sure they stay at what he filled them and see how the wear goes. If they again start feathering he will have a new resident living at the dealership until I am satisified.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I really don't think "feathering" has anything to do with tire pressure. "feathering" is the sign of tire rubbing in a direction it is not supposed to and the cause of that could only be wheels not following the tracks correctly. Unless they will keep replacing your tires free of charge, I would try another dealer, or even my local firestone to check out their story.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Another "possible" issue with "feathering" is worn shocks.
I concur with Zebelkhan, it's time to talk to somebody who knows something.

Homer

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Another "possible" issue with "feathering" is worn shocks.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True but you would not expect that's the case with cars of 5-6000 miles.
I think alignment is the lead suspect.

Bob1

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I am running a little test. Put 28 in the front tires, did not drive MO for 60 hours, left MO Outside in heat (But not sun) drove Mo for first time in afternoon. BUMPY, Went on freeway and drove at 75 mph for and hour up to Sedona. BUMPY slowly redeced. Raised pressure to 33 that night. Will repeat test and report. Grip :D

·
Registered
842 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Feathers anyone?

Steve Richards said:

I spoke with the service manager a few days after, and he once again claimed the problem was tire pressure.

I asked him what the pressure was before and after. He said it was at 30 and 29 (fronts only). I checked before I dropped it off and my guage said 32 and 31.

When I received the car back the new tires had pressure close to 40 on my guage, he said they filled them to 36.

The specs on the door say 33.

I'm going to monitor the pressure weekly and make sure they stay at what he filled them and see how the wear goes. If they again start feathering he will have a new resident living at the dealership until I am satisified.
Maybe your tire pressure gauge needs to be replaced as I got caught on this myself a few times. My tire gauge was out by 20% when I caught it. They are not the robust tools in your tool box

With the price of the tire gauges being relativley cheap these days I do recommend that they get looked at more often, in fact the new digital gauges are less than $3 CDN and give you accurate readings then the gauges with the rising pressure reading on a pin.:2: :2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts