Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know that much about the performance of the tires on my 03 SE AWD except that they are apparently the only ones you can get right now. Mine have performed well in heavy rain under acceleration. Haven't really pushed the car in terms of cornering yet. Hven't pushed it in wet or dry breaking either.

But, when they do wear out I'd be interested in a wider tire. Same height, just wider. I know everything I need to know about truck and off-road tires but nothing about tires for ABS equipped AWD drive vehicles. So, will anyone ever make a wider 18" tire with the same profile? If so, will they fit? Especially up front? How will this affect ABS? AWD?

Is anyone else out there interested in differnt type of tires for the Murano? Higher road performance? Better wet traction? All-terrain tires....it is an SUV...according to Nissan anyway. :D

George

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have been looking but the problem I see is the overall diameter of the tire. The 235/65/18 are just under 30" and most high performance 18" are approx. 25-26" that can be a big difference in speedo and road clearance. It looks like we will have to wait to see what happens down the road.

·
Registered
161 Posts
ya, I would imagine more will come out in another 6 months or so. I mean the car is barely a year old, not too much of a market for replacing worn tires yet...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Suggestion:

285/55R18 Michelin Pilot LTX

Little less than 1/2" taller, but 50mm wider.......

I had this tire on my Mercedes ML320, loved it!

·
Registered
792 Posts
If you don't have 20" rims they won't ride.

20's will have a much lower side wall and will ride MUCH more firm. This can be good or bad depending on what you are use to. You will notice less side wall flex in cornering but the rest of the car/suspension will take the rest of the abuse - and what it can't absorb will be transmitted to your butt.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I take it then that the 18 inch tires will give a smoother ride. The 20 inch tires look cooler, though.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
mattsmurano said:
Suggestion:

285/55R18 Michelin Pilot LTX

Little less than 1/2" taller, but 50mm wider.......

I had this tire on my Mercedes ML320, loved it!

These will not fit the Murano's rims, which are 7.5" wide. Michelin's specs are for 8.5-10" wide rims.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts