Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I KNOW YOU HAVE HAD THIS DISCUSSION PREVIOUSLY, BUT I AM WONDERING IF ANY TIRE CO. HAS MADE A TIRE THAT FITS OUR SPECS. OTHER THAN GOODYEAR......ALSO I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT IS THE WIDEST TIRE THAT WILL FIT W/OUT SACRIFICING TOO MUCH HEIGHT...... THANKS

·
Registered
275 Posts
Michelin Pilot LTX, 285/60R-18, it is the same rolling diameter, and 50mm wider. It looks phat on the wheels..... Quiet and good traction too...

·
Registered
278 Posts
... and a tire for winter?

I have not found a winter tire in the 18" size required for Murano.

Anybody have a source for that?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tires

THANKS FOR THE INFO.......
I DISCOVERED THROUGH TIRERACK THAT THE GOODYEAR FORTURA IS AVAILABLE IN THE SAME SIZE AS THAT MICHELIN PIOTL LTX AND HAS A BETTER RATING FOR SNOW TRACTION.......

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
How in the world are you going to keep a 285 on a 7.5" wheel?

I'm surprised that Tire Rack would sell the tire for this application/

Homer

·
Registered
255 Posts
Michelin Pilot LTX, 285/60R-18, it is the same rolling diameter, and 50mm wider. It looks phat on the wheels..... Quiet and good traction too...
How is it the same rolling diameter? 285mm x .6 = 171mm, 235mm x .65 = 152.75mm. The diameter would increase by 36.5mm or almost and inch an a half with the 285/60. So the Michelin would have a circumfrance of 2511mm to the stocks 2396mm which would imply that the Michelin would throw the speedo off by almost 5%.

A 285/55 would be a close match but I would still worry about the wheel width supporting a tire that wide.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Snow vs Winter

In Canada, there is now a symbol that has a mountain and a snowflake, and that symbol is associated with standards for a winter tire. M+S standards are very loose, and are not good enough to be called winter tires.

I use ice tires, and when I take them off in spring, I miss them (Michelin Alpin). The Goodyears that came with the PF are so-so. I'm sure the Pirellis would be great replacements for MO's original summer tires (M+S is a 3-season tire), but ... snow, winter, ice... those are real winter tires, esp. for Canada.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Those Pirellis look like a natural replacement for the Goodyears.
A nice upgrade.

Understand that we are talking very average tires here.

You don't buy high performance tires for $96. (LS price at TR)

I will be interested to see what happens when some real performance tires become available for the Murano.
The quickest and easiest way to upgrade handling of any vehicle is to upgrade the tires.
And if you are not interested in "handling", the performance tires are safer too, handling heat more efficiently and stopping quicker than OEM tires.

M&S will suffice for over half of the people who buy Muranos, I would imagine.

And many of us buy "Touring Tires" that are not compromised by any req to traverse M&S. They also run much quieter than M&S tires and usually give better longevity.

Homer

·
5,268 Posts
I had Pirellis on my old car - Taurus SE with 200 HP engine. These were P400, just an average, touring tire, pretty chip. They replaced OEM Continental AS. I could not believe the difference - much quieter ride, better handling, MUCH better traction, both dry and wet.

When i did my research on replacement tires for my MO Pirelli Scorpion Zero appeared to be the best match. I did some comparison courtesy of Tire Rack - see the attached file. If i do not change the wheels, or there are no other tires available on the market i will definitely by the Pirellis.

Sorry our friends in Canada. These tires are not good in snow.:(

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
Michelin Pilot Alpin at Costco

Okay, Costco has (special order, 1 week) real winter/ice tires in 18" (must be for MO) and customers are asking for 20" tires (I told him they would be for the Infiniti FX).

I did not have the MO tire size with me, so he looked up "any" 18" and came up with one at $335./tire CAD, so about $250 US per tire.

I'm going there tomorrow to get the nylon-on-aluminum-frame carport thing like in someone's pix here (said he got it at Costco). The thing is 11 x 20 feet (my carport is 12 x 18, so it'll do just fine.

I'll take the MO tire size with me and get the actual price. He says the Pilots are the best Alpins there are.

Does anyone know anything about these tires (except that they are the only choice, so I'll be getting a set). I loved the "non-pilot" Alpins on the Pathfinder.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The US barn is nicer

The one here is $300 CAD, seems to come in one box, and is plain aluminum (not the nice white that matches your car).

There are none on the floor with "white" cover... all are marked "clear", but it's that opaque "sort of clear" kind.

It is a foot wider here, though. That extra foot width is nice. Do you have any trouble opening the doors? Do you have to push them into the fabric between two support pillars? It looks just wide enough.

·
Registered
278 Posts
No tires at Tire Rack

With "winter only" selected, tire rack has no tires for MO!

Oh, well, at least Costco does.

Enforcer, your place looks like mine (trees right near the house, and dripping all over nice cars if you don't put up a shelter).

I built the carport when the PF came home, and now MO needs one.

Does that one have anything to keep the wind from blowing it away? Do you have to tie it to the ground somehow? I didn't see anything like that in your pics.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I found them!

Costco says the Michelin Pilot Alpin is not available 235/65/18 (not that I necessarily believe that they do not exist, or even that they do not have some sitting 10 feet from the person who says they do not exist).

Nonetheless, I called a Goodyear dealer and this is the deal:

235/65/18

Dunlop SJ5, Ice and Snow, buy in September, no charge to install and balance: $159.95 less $20/tire = 139.95 installed and balanced. $3. tax. $657.71. (that's Canuck bucks, and the $3. is a tax on every new tire sold to pay for burning the old tires in accidental fires). You'd have to live here to get that. We pay a $3. tax per tire.

Michelins were $1400/set., and not my size.

·
Registered
278 Posts
No one else plans to use tires on their MO?

I told the sales manager today about the Dunlops, and he suggested I let the parts manager know. Parts Mgr. said, "Yeah, the Dunlops. We have 8 in stock."

Why did I not ask at the dealer first?

Because every "other" dealer has told me there are no winter tires for MO.

One told me they were $400. each.

So, I reserved 4 of them. $147. each. I forgot to ask whether they charge for installation and balancing. He showed me a transmitter for the tire pressure sensor ($450. each). If the tire is changed without following manual instructions (loosen it first, I think), then you break it.

$600 for the tires. $1800 for the pressure sensors.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I saw the the TSB NTB02-070a 2-5-03 describing the procedure to remove the valve stem lock nut and pushing the tpms transponder into the rim before before breaking the bead, otherwise damage to the transponder will occur.

It also goes on to say that each transponder is coded to its own corner of the car. Yet the owners manual states that the display is random?

Is this to avoid having to rotate the tires by removing them from the rims?

At any rate I have printed this and put it in the glove in case I damage a tire in Podunk without a dealer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts