Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of complaing about the Bose upgrade on the Murano's, so I ask would you have rather gotten the standard stereo?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
another question:
Do you have the same headaches upgrading the non bose system as you do with the bose system? I don't mean upgrading the HU, just the speakers, adding amps and subs - stuff like that.

·
4,601 Posts
Audio wise, the Bose head unit is pretty flat. It's more the choice of speakers that I suspect is the big issue. The dash tweeters are weak, and the sub woofer isn't sub at all, but it's an "OK" woofer.

The Bose has an outboard PA, the non-Bose has it built in. So at least on the Bose it's easy to toss the factory PA and speakers and get that flatness of the head unit, into a good sound system.

Where the Nissan (Clarion OEM) radios really fall apart, is with the lack of MP3 support and the poor RDS implementation. They cheaped out on that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
jaak said:
Where the Nissan (Clarion OEM) radios really fall apart, is with the lack of MP3 support and the poor RDS implementation. They cheaped out on that.
From Nissanglobal:

NISSAN VEHICLES IN JAPAN GET IPOD CONNECTIVITY

TOKYO (July 20, 2005)--Nissan Motor Co., Ltd., today released a new all-in-one audio visual navigation system created exclusively for Nissan vehicles which enables music fans to connect their iPod* to the system with a designated connector cable for a seamless iPod experience on the road.

"We are very excited to be collaborating with Apple on this project," said Carlos Tavares, Nissan executive vice president and head of planning and design. "The new HC705-A navigation system gives customers the best possible in-car control of iPod through the system's innovative 7-inch wide touch-panel display. It also allows customers to enjoy their iPod in the car without any concern about battery life."

The iPod remains automatically charged when hooked up to the navigation system with the connector cable, a convenient feature for long trips.
In addition to iPod connectivity, the new high-spec hard disk drive navigation system offers numerous other features, including Nissan's CARWINGS telematics service, CD/MD/DVD playback and music recording capability.

The navigation system, a dealer-installed option, retails for 315,000 yen. The system is available at all domestic dealers starting from today and can be fitted on 11 Nissan models, including the Serena minivan, the Tiida compact car, the X-TRAIL SUV, and the Moco minicar. The connector cable, which is sold separately, retails for 20,865 yen. The cable supports all iPod models with dock connector.

*iPod is for legal or rightholder-authorized copying only. Don't steal music. iPod is a trademark of Apple Computer, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

###

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
shawn_d said:
what is RDS?

what do you mean by flatness?
RDS = radio data service (or system) - it basically displays the station name instead of frequency, and if you are lucky, sometimes the song title as well.

Listen to both with your favorite CD and see if you can tell the difference. I don't think its worth the cost, but unless you want to go with a custom setup (the stock head unit is integrated with the dash and HVAC controls) there isn't much option.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I got the Bose system because I wanted the in-dash CD changer. It doesn't sound *horrible* but it is not up-to-par with what I would consider to be a "premium" audio system in a 2004/2005 vehicle. My 2001 Pontiac's Monsoon system sounded MUCH better. The premium systems in most cars these days blow the MO's system away -- especially vehicles in this price range.

I agree with Jaak -- another non-premium issue with the "premium" audio system is a piss-poor implementation of RDS (my girlfriend's cheapo stock Saturn stereo does a 500% better job at it) and no MP3 support -- in the way of not supporting MP3 CDs as well as not being able to attach in an iPod or similar device without modification.

I had grand plans for a massive gutting and overhaul of the Bose system, keeping only the head unit. I like the in-dash CD changer (if only it accepted MP3 CDs!!!!!) and I like the clean integrated functionality and steering wheel controls. I never got around to doing it, although I may still someday. I had some other financial obligations come up rather quickly and that put a damper on being able to justify spending frivilously on upgrading the sound system.

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
4,601 Posts
shawn_d said:
what is RDS?

what do you mean by flatness?
Eric answered the RDS. I wasn't really so aware of just how bad it was, although I had an idea as I tried, to no avail, with an RDS capable RF generator to get it to do something beyond the station name, but with no luck.

Then I test drove a Magnum R/T with the navigation system, and there were the artist and titles appearing on the display of one of my regular local FM stations. (Add that to liking the Magnum, and that didn't help...)

Flatness? Frequency response. How good is it at reproducing highs and lows, out of the head unit. (I didn't measure the amp or speakers, so there's lots of opportunity for Bose to mess this up, after the audio leaves the head unit.)

I used an NAB test CD with various sources, including noise.
NAB - National Association of Broadcasters

Using one of the tracks with noise, I measured the output with an oscilloscope and enabled the FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) capability of the math functions, to tear apart a long record of the noise and plot how flat it was.

I also used some two tone signals to determine intermodulation products and see where things started to fall apart. As Tyler's said, it starts to produce audible distortion in the 23-25 indicated volume range. You can see the products building up in the high teens, but it's too low for us to hear.

Here's what the FFT plot looked like...

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts