Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this site & forum. I fell in love with the Murano at first sight, but I have yet to drive one.

We'll be purchasing a new SUV this summer. I currently drive a Grand Prix, but want to get back to an SUV type of vehicle. I cannot stand the new SUV's that are tall stationwagons or minivans with 4 swinging doors. I want the flexibility and height of an SUV with the performance & styling of a sports car.

We're a little concerned about the CVT transmission. Have had snowmobiles for years, so we understand the concept -- maybe that's what has my husband a little concerned. We've changed our share of snowmobile belts out on the trail. We've been reading up online but no one is committing to a longevity estimate on the CVT.

We've also been reading horror stories online about service problems both with the CVT and other aspects (rattles, etc.)

If we buy the Murano, are we just a guinea pig? Are we better off to sacrifice styling to go with a tried & true mechanical system?

Thanks for any advice you can share.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Just remember, we tend to tell many more people about a complaint, and we tend to forget to tell people about the thigs that are going well.

I have a 2003 Murano SE, and I have 20,000 miles. I have been VERY satisfied with the vehicle. I work in the auto industry, and have owned many new cars. This is one of the best I have owned. I replaced a 2002 Mercedes ML320.

The CVT transmission has worked flawlessly, diffrent than a geared auto transmission, but flawlessly in the 20k miles I have driven it. It did take some getting used to at first, but now it seems totally natural. Now when I get in a traditional automatic car, it feels strange.

I have noticed that some consumers have trouble accepting new technology. Many of them think the CVT is having problems because it "feels" diffrently than the automatic. It is completely diffrent hardware. I understand how it works vew well, and the charastics to me seem totally normal (for how it works).

You can always find something to nit-pick about. My Murano is so refined in so many ways, it is easy to pick out a very minor things. Mine is very vault like.

I have looked for complaints I read about on this site. I can sometimes find them in my Murano, but they are so subtle, I would not think them to be a "problem". But don't get me wrong, there were a couple, (window creak and rear brake rattle) that I needed to have addressed, but very minor and infrequent compared to other cars I have owned....

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
I haven't the miles like you have Matt for my comment to have the gravity of yours.....but, I can agree with you on many points.
I have seen horror stories in person on many different makes and models---if they would have had a forum of dedicated owners as ours has, I am sure anyone would have croaked at the amount of problems posted. One particular make/model I abhor for it's many problems, I still have owners who swear by them. Sometimes it is because they refuse to admit they messed up. Sometimes their expectations are very low. So far, I am neither. Going from a grand am to this car will have you going WOW. I saw a review on it and they called it a "super car". Not a truck, not a car, not an SUV.

Da Mo is a fabulous vehicle for me, I love it!!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Forum

I can't attest to the longevity of the Murano as I don't have the time or mileage enough into it that would be proof enough, but I sure do love it . I have never spent more time with a car/truck/suv. I can however attest to how great this forum is. I wish I would have had forums that packed this amount of experience and info for some of my other vehicles. Anything you can think of, there is someone here who has done it or tried it and can help you figure it out.

·
5,268 Posts
I put 16,000+ mile on the MO and still love it. Now, I got it because it is not a SUV! I got FX because it is not a SUV! I love both of these cars. They are different and drive differently but they are no SUV's. SO before you go and buy MO please do your homework. Think what sort of a vehicle do you need. Where are you going to drive etc. Then go and test-drive Murano.................YOU WILL LOVEW IT!!!!!!!

I travel more than frequently and get all sorts of rental cars. Recently I had the pleasure of getting Pontiac Grand Prix, a brand new model. I had thought, based on review that the car had great handling etc..................Now imagine me coming from Murano.......for me all the reviews were simply wrong. Nothing compare to Murano.

As to CVT, I got 5 years/100,000 extended warranty so if (knock knock) anything go wrong, you know the rest......

Go and test drive the Murano...........oh, and post the impressions!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your replies. Let me clarify a couple of things.

I apologize if I offended anyone by calling a Murano an SUV. But that's what it's called by Nissan -- a crossover SUV.

I've done a ton of research & feel I know quite a bit about the Murano, other than the CVT reliability & longevity concerns we have. And, of course, all the stuff you find out once you actually own one.

I did go in for a test drive last night. I drove the SL and the SE both in the City and on the Highway. I am definitely impressed. I can also understand why it's considered (by many who have driven one) to be more of a sports car rather than an SUV. Handling, power and performance were definitely more akin to sports cars I've had rather than SUV's I've had.

I'd have to agree that off-road is definitely not the place for the Murano. However, that was never my intention for this vehicle. We have a pickup to pull the trailers we need to pull & to get us to the off-road destinations we need to get to. I highly doubt my Murano would see anything more off-road than the occasional gravel driveway.

After the test drive I'm more sold than ever that this is definitely the vehicle for me. It seems to offer everything I really want in a vehicle: Style, performance and yet the versatility of an SUV. Now I just need to decide if I want to spend the money to purchase one!

·
Registered
758 Posts
plmrsyf

When people ask me how I like the Murano I tell them it is like a big sports car. As far as the purchase, you should be able to get a decent deal. Murano's are going for much less than when they originally started selling. Wish you the best and hope to see you around here more with details of your purchase (if you get one). What color are you leaning towards?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Sean -

My Murano would be Midnight Blue with SL Touring package (Charcoal Leather interior) and the sunroof package -- skip the navigation system, though.

Donna

·
Registered
564 Posts
Donna - I don't think you can go wrong with the Murano given your parameters (larger, versatile, firm ride). I came off of a 94 Camaro and love the Murano. Needed it for the versatility to carry the family and occasional bass boat hauling duties. The ride is firm, but comfortable (I have the AWD SE) and definitely responsive. The other plus (for me) is the decent gas milage compared to other vehicles in its class.

As far as reliability of the CVT, I don't have enough miles, but I have talked to friends that work at Nissan and they tell me that the CVT does not appear to have any higher rate of problems than more convention transmissions used in other Nissan vehicles. With regards to rattles - I've not had any. Keep in mind that if you read too much about the rattles, tics, squeaks, etc. - you start to hear them where you woudn't have noticed before. I started to get paranoid after reading the forums, but calmed down considerably after comparing the Murano to the minivan my family also owns, as well as my old car. The Murano is, by far, the quietest and well-mannered vehicle in our small fleet. In fact, I can finally use the speakerphone option on my cell phone and hear people clearly. I couldn't do that in the other vehicles we have had.

Definitely do the research on comparable vehicles. I checked out the MDX and RX300 very carefully, along with the Murano. In the end, price and features was best for the Murano. If you're buying soon, also check out the Edmunds.com site for any specials. I saw a commercial this morning that certain Nissan's were going on sale with $2,500 incentives for Memorial day. Guess its time to start flushing out the 04's in time for the 05's!!

·
4,664 Posts
CVT? Nissan's been using them for years. The Murano's is very good and advanced, handles the load better than Audi's CVT.

I never want to go back to a vehicle without one... Ever. I really hope we get more choices in the future. For me, I'd love an AWD CVT G35 as a second vehicle...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think our CVT concerns come more from the fact that we're unfamiliar with it in a car more than anything else. I have a friend in the used car sales business & he has a TON of contacts both in sales & service all over the SE Wisconsin area. He made a few phone calls for me yesterday & had the same response from everyone he's talked to. No more failure rate than any other transmission out there.

I forgot to mention that during my test drive last night I was thoroughly impressed by the power of the Murano. I hate to keep comparing it to the snowmobiles, but that's what it was like. Neck-snapping, "hang on to something 'cuz it's accelerating quick" type of speed. Definitely the quickest automobile acceleration I've experienced since getting rid of my Trans-Am. I had just turned onto a very deserted 4-lane divided city street going 25 - 30 mph when the salesman suggested I "punch it". I was up to 65 mph before I knew it.

Very impressive!

·
Registered
202 Posts
plmrsyf said:
My Murano would be Midnight Blue with SL Touring package (Charcoal Leather interior) and the sunroof package -- skip the navigation system, though.

Donna
It's like I've got a twin! :D (See the pic of my '03 under my name and in my gallery.)

I haven't had a moment's regret since buying my Murano. I love the styling, the power, the spaciousness. And I love the CVT....15,500 miles and not a hint of a problem. I did get the Nav system, though, and I felt that was just about the best "extra" I could have added. The system itself has saved my bacon a number of times, and I much prefer the color screen over the non-Nav screen.

And no offense from this corner over calling the Murano an SUV. That's what Nissan calls it, and that's what I usually call it. But this has been the subject of many a debate on these boards, and different folks have different preferences. Whatever we call it, though, I think one thing most of us would agree on is that the Murano is one terrific vehicle!

Jeff

·
Registered
275 Posts
S.U.V. Sport, Utility, Vehicle:

I think the Murano covers all those.

Sport: Definately Sporty, driving, power and handeling.
Utility: It can consume anything I need to put into it, even sleeping passengers.
Vehicle: It transports it's occupants efficiently in comfort....

Enough said?

Who ever said a SUV had to have a low range transfer case, solid axles with a choppy ride and rediculous fuel economy?

I think Crossover SUV is fair....

I prefer "Progressive Crossover SUV"....

Just my opinion...

·
Registered
545 Posts
All I have to say is ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM!

Drive one over 80 mph and notice how smooth, quiet and responsive the engine is.

Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
When I was getting my new rims, the guy at the shop called the Mo a blown up 350Z. That was cool with me cause it is certainly sporty.
That's why I got it plus I can carry anything I need. If was too big I would be using our truck anyway.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Regarding the CVT. I think we all has a few reservations as to switching from a conventional tranny to the CVT. I even went back to the service manager at the dealership to look for straight answers before buying the Mo. He said, he had zero complaints from Murano. Now about 6000 miles on the MO and nothing but good to report. It also seems like many of the 2003 rattle type complaints were solved before I picked up my 2004. Heck, my biggest complaint is not being able to pick up the wiper arms when washing the MO. I can live with that.
Hope it helps.
Bob1

·
4,664 Posts
I agree on the CVT, but I'm not so sure on the rattles. Mine was quiet for 16 months, but started up this week. I think it's more a case of how lucky you are. It seems plenty of '04's have the rattles too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts