Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

Firstly a big thanks to all as I have been following this forum for quite some time. I am thinking about buying an SUV and the Murano in terms of style and appearance has been No.1 - however have been worried somewhat or quite a bit about all the things I have read about alternators, ratlles, steering, sensors, loss of powers.

Basically, I have put it down to either a 2005 MO, 2005 Pathfinder or not sure what else. I do not want to spend more than $29k and would love peoples opinions pro and con. I am just worried about getting outside of my warranty period with Nissan (3yrs?) and getting hge repair bills. How mujch is extended warranties?

Help!!

:2:

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a 2004 SL AWD w/o any issues at all. Granted only 1500 miles :D

From what I hear the 2005 model resolves the alternator issue and the steering pump issue. Those who have a 2005 (like Gripper) can answer better..

In terms of comparing a Murano to the Pathfinder - they are different. Murano is a crossover, that drives like a sports car, but has the utility of a SUV. Plus the unique styling. Pathfinder is more a true SUV - decent on the road, decent off-road. And third row seating. You probably wouldn't want to take the Murano off road too much.....

Good luck with your decision!

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Do a lot of search on this forum...

Samwlee has answered your question regardring the 05 model.
You can PM GripperDon, he has the 05.I think the 05 model is your best bet for now.

For $29K, exactly around the same amount of money I was planning to spend for my suv, murano is what i call: the best bang for the buck.

I have my 03 since nov 03 and I still love the vehicle.
My Mo has no major problem, only a bit of rattles. My alt has not failed yet and my cvt has not either.

Good luck.

·
5,244 Posts
If you want an SUV - go for Pathfinder. Murano is a nice station wagon. Yes, very unique, good looking, and plenty more....but it is not an SUV as I would define it.....

·
Registered
61 Posts
My wife and I were looking at both the Murano and the Pathfinder as well. I was coming off lease of a 2002 Pathfinder. Our first reaction after just sitting in the new Pathfinder was "man, this car feels big." Even though the dimensions between the two are very similar the two of them are very different. The only real advantage to us for the Pathfinder was the third row which we decided we could do without. We loved the Murano...how is drives how it looks and the extra 25% gas mileage was the final straw. Just picked our new Murano up last night. Happy hunting...

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I did not have my 04 long enough to ever see ANY problem of ANY kind. BUT go for the 05, and get all the goodies you might ever want. especially the NAV. I like the SL as the ride is smoother. Extended warranty is around a grand.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO FIND A GOOD DEALER, GO TALK TO THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT BEFORE ANY SALESMAN.

If you are a street only driver and no snow I would get a FWD only less things to go wrong and passive load on CVT etc. and the savings will pay for the extended warranty. These are my opinions. MINE and other may not agree, Individual mileage may vary etc. :D GO fo the MO. A true believer and I have had a lot of cars in my life over 40! of every kind from Ford Falcon to S class MB. :D

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Actually it doesn't matter where you purchase your Murano from, since any Nissan dealer will service your vehicle under warranty (if you can get them to believe something is wrong with your vehicle to begin with!). Coming from the SF Bay Area, I shopped around for the BEST PRICE on the model and options I wanted. The sales manager you deal with during the purchase has little iinteraction with the service department, so you won't get any "special treatment" by purchasing and servicing your car at the same dealership.

That said, the choice between a 'Finder and Murano should be based on what your needs are. If you go offroad (and I mean, real offroading, not snow covered highways, which the AWD Murano can handle just fine), then the Pathfinder might have some advantages. If you need the third row seat for kids or pets, then it may be useful as well. However, for everything else, the Murano is probably a better choice - sportier ride, better handling, and better fuel economy.

If you do get a Murano, make sure to get the HIDs and VDC, as those are the two options (well SE comes standard with HIDs) that owners regret most not choosing from the start. If you take a lot of road trips, the NAV might be fun too.

·
4,994 Posts
Eric has a point, several actually, VDC certinally has it's uses.

However regarding the other areas: I guess I have had different experience. I have always met the head of service and requested of him (assuming I liked what I heard) to take me to meet the GM of the dealership and then I bought. The one time I did not do that , was this MO. I don't actually know why but that was the case and I have regretted it.

I ended up buy at least 6 or so Mercedes Benz from Schumacher MB here in Scottsdale all from either Herman or Michel Schumacher the owner and his son. All after an-unannounced visit to the service department head. Who after an very satisfying discussion he introduced me to Mr. Schumacher.

True any MB dealer can service the car but the relationship I have established with the dealership has been very good. About the same situation was established with Infiniti of Scottsdale where I got my G35.

It is satisfying to arrive at the dealer and they know my name and provide excellent service and rapport. Wish I had anykind of relationship with the Nissan dealership closest to me, They don't seem to care about anything for anybody as far as I can detect. The poor folks waiting in the "service" area are universally grumbling about one thing or the other, mostly saying never again.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Service at luxury brands have always been better than at mainstream ones. You ought to try GM!

As others have said, the Pathfinder is a frame/body truck-based SUV. It's going to have decent off-road capability, a real 4WD system and can tow. The MO is a re-styled Altima station wagon on 18" rims with a lift. Saying it drives like a 'sports car' is a bit generous. -Drives more like an import sedan. I have the SE, and it has great steering feel but the 4000lb curb weight is not hidden.

Extended warranty, IMO is a waste, but I tend to keep a car for only 3-4 years max (Base warranty is 3/36). The warranty on the powertrain (including CVT)is 5/60. So, what are the odds that, after the 3rd year, you will have a non-powertrain failure that will cost more than what you paid for the extended warranty (plus whatever you could have earned with that money over 3 years)?

·
4,994 Posts
Had A Pontiac, Taurus, T Bird, Mustangs, Etc. No argument from me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey all

MANY MANY thanks for your replies - keep them coming :)

I guess I am just scared that I buy the car and things start going wrong and it costs me an arm and leg to have it fixed. This is esp worrying outside of the 3yr/36k miles warranty. Any thoughts???

I guess I will not be offroading it, and using it just with my wife and I and the odd airport trip as our family lives in England ....

If I was to get the Pathfinder it would be the SE at $26500 or the Murano SL at approx $28600 so hence a $2k diff there (approx).
Any thoughts?

Many thanks
Dylan - note just moved to the US from England about 3 months ago

:1:

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
Dylan,
I'd go with an 05 Murano as you said you are not planning on doing any offroading. I think that you will be quite happy with the smooth ride of the suspension, smooth shifting of the CVT and the minimal road noise. Also, the Murano is now out of infancy and in it's 3rd year. Most of the undesirables of the Murano that I have to fix myself have probably been cleared up already.

Being that the Pathfinder is in a 1st year model, I would be more hesitent about it. I've learned my lesson. I have had 3 first year models and need to fight the urge to get a car just because it's 'cutting edge'.

P.S. Welcome stateside! What brought you here?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Snow MO said:
Dylan,
I'd go with an 05 Murano as you said you are not planning on doing any offroading. I think that you will be quite happy with the smooth ride of the suspension, smooth shifting of the CVT and the minimal road noise. Also, the Murano is now out of infancy and in it's 3rd year. Most of the undesirables of the Murano that I have to fix myself have probably been cleared up already.

Being that the Pathfinder is in a 1st year model, I would be more hesitent about it. I've learned my lesson. I have had 3 first year models and need to fight the urge to get a car just because it's 'cutting edge'.

P.S. Welcome stateside! What brought you here?
I'll second what he said about 1st year models. I've had lots of issues with my Spec V.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Snow, JP

I guess the worry stems from the issues I have read about the loss of power, rattles, alternator etc... dont want my wife saying

"I told you so" lol

If the 05 MO SL is about $28600 (I dont think I want any options) what are the costs involved and how do I work out an end price? In addition, Ill be financing it - what can I expect to pay for it i.e here in the US do dealers sell at less then these recommended prices?

Regards
D

PS: Came here as my job asked me to take a role in the US - Atlanta to be precise.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a bump for the qu?

If the 05 MO SL is about $28600 (I dont think I want any options) what are the costs involved and how do I work out an end price? In addition, Ill be financing it - what can I expect to pay for it i.e here in the US do dealers sell at less then these recommended prices?

Regards
D

:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts