Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2003 Murano is coming off lease in a couple of months. The tires are likely at or below the acceptable level of wear for lease turn-in, so I need to decide whether or not to actually replace them.

Does anyone have experience with Murano lease turn-in costs (i.e. penalties) with regards to tires?

I know that replacing them right now will cost at least $500.00, which seems to be a waste of money for only two months of personal use.

If the penalty is going to be $500 or less, I will likely keep the old tires on it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Let the dealer you if the tires need to be replaced when you turn it in....no need spending money if you don't have to... if you plan on replacing MO with a Nissan product , they can be very forgiving on your lease turn in if you buy/lease another vehicle from them...

·
5,244 Posts
What about safety? Yours and those sharing road with you?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
I assume retreads are out of the question? :12:

If it were me, I would wait on the tires.

If you are getting another Nissan product the dealer may overlook the tires. I would like to believe any penalty would be less than your cost for 4 tires, since the dealer can get the Goodyears for less than you.

Just my two cents....

-njjoe

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kris said:
What about safety? Yours and those sharing road with you?
Not an issue. The tires are exactly at the current "acceptable" level, so they are safe. We will keep it parked and drive the company car until the lease expires.

Not getting another Nissan vehicle...getting a company car.

·
5,244 Posts
ownersite said:
Not an issue. The tires are exactly at the current "acceptable" level, so they are safe. We will keep it parked and drive the company car until the lease expires.

Not getting another Nissan vehicle...getting a company car.

So you answered your question - do not replace.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kris said:

So you answered your question - do not replace.
Still wouldn't mind an answer to the financial aspect of the original question from those that may have experience. If the wear level is below the acceptable level at turn-in time (perhaps I used a different measurement technique or the inspector will find an area of the tire on which to measure that has slightly less tread) and I spend $500+ on new tires, am I actually saving money over the tire-wear penalty? (safety issue aside, please, I am not going to intentionally risk the safety of my family)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
If they inspect your lease return like they do everything else, you have nothing to worry about!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ekaxel said:
If they inspect your lease return like they do everything else, you have nothing to worry about!!
I wish that were the case. This is the 3rd Nissan vehicle that we've leased and the company the does the inspections seems to be VERY detailed and picky. The other two vehicles were so low mileage that tire wear was not an issue, but the inspector found every tiny nick, ding and scratch --- to the tune of about $225 in "damages" on our 2002 Altima. We ended up buying that lease out at the end and trading it in on our 2005 Volvo S60R. Financially speaking, we benefitted on that one because of the low residual value and overall great condition and low mileage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts