Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a lease so Im not looking for long term reliability. But should I switch to synthetic oil? On my VW I have used synthetic since day one (cars mine, not lease). I only have 600 miles on the car so im a bit away from the 1st oil change. Any input would be helpful guys. THANKS! :)

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
I have learned that on this car we are supposed to let the engine break-in before switching to synthetic, most are doing it between 5,000 to 10,000 miles. I have 5k on mine and will probably switch at my 7,500 oil change.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
5-10k, good to know.. thanks! I'll look into it the second time around when its time to do the oil

·
Registered
844 Posts
quailallstar said:
My car is a lease so Im not looking for long term reliability. But should I switch to synthetic oil? On my VW I have used synthetic since day one (cars mine, not lease). I only have 600 miles on the car so im a bit away from the 1st oil change. Any input would be helpful guys. THANKS! :)
In my opinion it would depend on how fast you drive and if you are planning to have the car long term or possibly buying out your lease when it comes up.

Synthetic oil is an excellent oil that exceeds manufactures requirements for engine oil. When cars operate at high temperatures ( high car speeds) heat builds up in the engine and normal oil can and will have viscosity break down which will damage the engine. Synthetic oil can handle the high heat better and will not break down in typical high heat situations.

It also has a very low pour point, this means it will still flow
at -65C whereas normal engine oil will not. This will give almost instance oil pressure in your Mo. But according where you live this is probable not a concern, as I am writing this, it is -6C with 10cm of snow on the ground.

That is the good points in a nutshell, the bad point is that the oil cost are almost double vs. conventional oil. So to answer your question, if you are thinking in keeping the Mo at the end of the lease if not I will assume that you will get your oil changed on a regular basis as set out by your lease agreement and that will suffice, but the answer is up to you.

I personal use Mobil 1 in all my cars and have for over 12years and absolutey love it as it preforms that way I need it as I generally keep my cars for over 12 years at a time.

Just a final note you should wait until the engine has had a chance to break in before you switch to syntheic oil, this will ensure there is a small wear pattern that is required for piston rings and valves to seat properly on the heads and cylinder walls.
:29: :29:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mobil 1 is great stuff. I have used it for 3 years in my VW to, and its been great. Yes its a little more expensive but worth it in my opinion. Turbo cars run very hot and the turbo is also cooled by the oil so its critical to keep it flowing through the lines. I have friends with turbo cars and they use natural oil and ohhh man do they regret it. They have had oil build up and clog the lines so there turbos bave been fried! Not to mention the $3,000+ replacement cost.

Stay warm Stoker! Use those heated seats!!!! :D

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Synthetic oil offers an additional margin of protection under the most extreme of conditions - either cold cold starts or very hot weather operation. Long term, it can potentially lead to longer engine life due to less wear during those extreme conditions.

That said, since yours is a lease, if you are concerned with getting 200,000 miles out of your Murano, then switching to synthetic probably will not pay off, unless you plan to purchase the car after the lease.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I have had great luck with straight Mobil oil 5W-30 in my cars. My last Nissan had 212K (14+ years) all with straight oil and to that day that car never burned or leaked a drop of oil. I never had to add oil to that car.

IMHO I don't think sythentic is necessary with proper maintenance and car of a car unless you are driving consistantly in extreme conditions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use Amsoil in my Vette, kind of expensive, but since I only drive it 2-3k a year it doesn't matter much, 1 oil change a year, whether it needs it or not. For my other cars I use a Valvoline synthetic blend, my 93 T-bird that my daughter is now beating on is running like new at 130, 000 miles. havne' change the Murano yet but it will be Synthetic for me.

·
5,268 Posts
I am doing it every 5k miles. I know it is too often but I do it myself so doesn't cost me much. Just a cheap insurance!!!

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
With conventional, I noticed a performance degradation after 3750 miles (6000km), so I changed at 3125 miles (5000km).

With synthetic, I notice a performance degradation after 4375 miles (7000km), so I change at 3750 miles (6000km).

When I say performance degradation, what I really mean is that after an oil change there is a noticeable performance improvement.

·
The Member
104 Posts
blah

It is true about possible performance loss.
I always notice performance increase after an oil change on most of the cars i had. With the MO i didn't get a chance to feel that as i only had one oil change at 3500 and put Mobile 1 and a Synth oil in.
Will see how long it last, as it suppose to double the regular oil life.

Btw, the cheapest place that i found the Mobile Synth oil was in costco, if anybody is interested. Something like $24 for a pack(6) i belive.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
After an oil change, the engine sounds, feels and revs smoother.

Oh, and I would hazard a guess that the performance degradation is due to the filter getting full, not the oil getting thick. If I could, I would probably change the filter every 3750, and the oil every 7500. But I think it would be a major hassle to try to convince the dealer to do that. I might try sometime though and see what they say. I would probably save me quite a bit of $$$.

·
The Member
104 Posts
tip

Just a tip,
Oil changes are cheaper to do at a local shop ;)
Just keep the reciepts, in case dealer ever asks about oil.
:)

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Yes, but I'm not so sure local shops will pay for any problems they cause. And I've had problems caused by local shops. Cross-threaded filters, wrong fluids(!), etc. No thanks.

·
The Member
104 Posts
Local shops

Well, it all depends...
I go to my best friend's shop and bring my own filter and oil.
I been going there for about 8 years now and i get a personal mechanic as well as a VIP service ;)

In your case i do agreee that it's not worth the headache though.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Re: Local shops

MOCKBA said:
Well, it all depends...
I go to my best friend's shop and bring my own filter and oil.
I been going there for about 8 years now and i get a personal mechanic as well as a VIP service ;)

In your case i do agreee that it's not worth the headache though.
You are lucky to have a friend who owns a mechanic shop in NYC. My own experience in NY has been to stay away from mechanic shops you do not know...then again, that is true everywhere!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Yea yea... the filter is full and after the change I noticed it too... I also notice that the car drives faster after a wash and wax. :werd:

I don't know about an improvement but IMHO I will guarantee that after 7500 miles it is not your oil filter.

I think what you are experiencing is called the "placebo" effect.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
I wouldn't know if there was any kind of difference not changing the oil until 7500 miles, because I've never gone that long.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts