Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Nissan Murano Platinum, and I've installed the custom trailer hitch and wiring harness from eTrailer, and I've installed it to be able to tow a small ski boat I recently purchased (2500lbs). I know I'm over the recommended towing capacity for my car, but we only live about 30 minutes from the lake. I'm curious, is there anyone out there who has towed anything with their 3rd Gen Murano, and what has been your experience? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
920 Posts
I have a 2015 Nissan Murano Platinum, and I've installed the custom trailer hitch and wiring harness from eTrailer, and I've installed it to be able to tow a small ski boat I recently purchased (2500lbs). I know I'm over the recommended towing capacity for my car, but we only live about 30 minutes from the lake. I'm curious, is there anyone out there who has towed anything with their 3rd Gen Murano, and what has been your experience? Thanks in advance
My experience:

I tow all the time. A little 4x6 wire trailer. Most times the weight is well below the 1350lb limit. Several times while picking up 3/4 gravel, I've been a little over weight at 1500 - 1800lbs. The quarry is only about 8 miles from my house, no hills or highways. With that amount of weight, it was a little bit of a rough ride home.

I've added rear air bags in the springs to prevent sag and have increased the braking performance. Not sure that I'd want to tow 2500lbs with a stock setup.

Have a good day.

·
Super Moderator
8,268 Posts
In my 2007, I had the pleasure of towing a double-axle 6x12 U-Haul trailer from Fort Collins CO to Lawton OK for my daughter's dietitian internship. The trailer weighs 1920 pounds empty and gross max load is 4400 pounds. Distance is a bit over 700 miles each way.

Trailer: U-Haul Equipment specifications: 6' x 12' Cargo Trailer

IIRC, the 2007 was rated 3000 pound gross towed weight, and I had the factory class III hitch. I doubt that we were near 4400 pounds but I'm pretty sure we were at least 3000.

When I started towing I had spare tires and rims for her Camaro stacked at the back of the trailer, which made the tongue pretty light - not lighter than the back end, but I learned that it was too light, because the first time I tried braking on the highway the trailer swerved back and forth. Dangerous.

I pulled off and we moved all four tire/wheels to the rear end of the Murano, which took weight off the back end of the trailer. Then it towed much better. 700 miles each way was easy, but I'll note that it's flat land each way.

I've towed everything from trailers to 1950 Studebakers (the Stude with no brakes) and I would be willing to tow the jet ski on a reasonable trip. I'd put a tranny oil cooler on it first. My main concern would be the pull-out at the launch point, where the transmission and possibly transfer case would be under the most load. My guess is that the 1st gen Murano was over-rated for towing load, and I suspect the current gen is under-rated after some bad customer experiences.

And I'd carry a tow strap in case I had trouble getting the unit out of the water - that way a friendly pickup driver could give me a tug if I needed it to get the jet ski out up the ramp.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If an SUV cannot tow it should not be made and sold! I recently installed a trailer hitch and will do the electrical hook up. If the SUV can’t tow it shouldn’t be made!
My experience:

I tow all the time. A little 4x6 wire trailer. Most times the weight is well below the 1350lb limit. Several times while picking up 3/4 gravel, I've been a little over weight at 1500 - 1800lbs. The quarry is only about 8 miles from my house, no hills or highways. With that amount of weight, it was a little bit of a rough ride home.

I've added rear air bags in the springs to prevent sag and have increased the braking performance. Not sure that I'd want to tow 2500lbs with a stock setup.

Have a good day.
The only towing problem I’ve ever heard is the transmission system could slip and where. Certainly the engine is strong enough. I told quite a bit with a 2001 PT cruiser which had a strong warrior suspension and a standard transmission! The only towing problem I’ve ever heard is the transmission system could slip and where. Certainly the engine is strong enough. I told quite a bit with a 2001 PT cruiser which had a strong warrior suspension and a standard transmission

·
Super Moderator
8,268 Posts
The fact is that a smart driver who pays attention and drives carefully can get away with loads in excess of the rating for the vehicle. But being smart includes not continually pulling loads that greatly exceed the rated towing capacity.

As I mentioned earlier, the only part about towing the jet ski which would concern me is the load on the transmission and transfer case at the launching ramp when pulling the load out of the water.

As the old saying goes, "ya pays yer money and takes yer chances."

·
Registered
920 Posts
Speaking of towing, I just had to replace the wood and the nails on my 12' x 16' back deck, resulting in about 1500 lbs. of 40 year old rotten cedar wood that had to be brought to the local transfer station.

With the 4x6 trailer, it was two loads, 780 and 590 lbs. respectively, stacked tightly. Less then 3 miles, not hills. The Murano and trailer handled it like a champ.

As Pilgrim stated, be smart. Stay near the towing limit, load evenly and securely fasten all loads. If continually pulling at or above the tow limit, I would definitely add a tranny cooler, installed inline with the current radiator cooler to avoid fluid not heating up properly in cold weather.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts