Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Salt is everywhere:(
So my question is:brush-less car wash?regular car wash? or to freeze my balls off washing the car myself?
Or should I just keep on driving 'till the Spring?

I am still planning to put lots of Zaino's Z2, how many times? yeah, I hear you,"as many as you can". But how many is enough?
And what is the painless way to keep my car clean without scratching fresh paint?

Thanks to all for input.

:confused:

·
Registered
792 Posts
Well, freezing your balls off is the best method - although the side effects are horrible. :)

The touchless ones never seem to get the car very clean. Then you have some guy at the end drying it off for you swirling all the embedded dirt around...

The soft brush ones (the ones that drag soapy towels across the finish) seem to do a better getting the vehicle clean - but at what cost? I've never experienced a scratch going through one that couldn't be waxed off - but that is my personal experience. It is much better than not having it washed at all and having the salt eat your car. I know everyone seems to have a horror story about them.

I'm still trying to mentally fabricate the wash bay in the garage - just haven't had the time.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Funny, this is exactly the same question I had today. I used to hand wash my 97 Maxima every weekend. Then I got busy with my job, and at times had to use an automated carwash, with the "foambright" cleaning elements. The funny thing was that they washed the car very very well, no scratches at all. I recently washed and waxed the Maxima, and it looks as good as new, even through the automated carwash abuse. I guess the rule of thumb is better washed (by any method) than leaving it alone.

I will probably take the Murano to an automated wash today. I feel guilty, but yeah, I don't want to freeze my balls off.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I agree that almost any wash is better than no wash.

I certainly did it back in those golden days when I lived in the North.

But one thing I never did was apply the carwash wax.

There was always the chance that it would rain, furthering the removal of salt, etc and I didn't want remnants of salt, etc trapped under some cheap ass wax.

I have to agree that freezing your balls off is the best way.

BTW,as an old verteran of this type of thing, I can absolutely guarantee that your balls will grow back.

Homer

Other people swear that they don't actually freeze off. Apparently they just run and hide and then reappear when the temps are more moderate.
Well, it's a theory.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ahhhh, the pains of winter. I usually go to the touch less car-wash. The ones where the mechanical rack runs around/over the car and most importantly under your car, using high pressure to get rid of the dirt and calcium. No one dries the cars around here but instead a high efficiency blower is used when you leave. The results are not outstanding but a far cry from not doing nothing. About once a month I'll hand wash it in my garage to bring it up to snuff. Personally I stay away from any kind of mechanical brush. Even though they advertise the softest bristles on the planet, you never know what can get stuck to some of the bristles.

Now answer this. If you freeze your balls and slip on the skating rink you just created, would'nt they shatter on impact. :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ball Park?

As an immigrant I still don't understand the meaning of “Ball Park". Moreover, I still don't get what baseball is. (Pardon me, but what kind of "dynamic" game is that?):confused:
Therefore, I may assume that this thread has to be renamed to
"Frozen Ball Park"?!
:2:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Snopes said:
What is Zaino?

George
Its an expensive car wax. I've tried it and its a pretty good wax. However, it didn't seem any better than Meguiars Gold Class, which is what usually use.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
This Thread needs some action.

See the thread is getting a little long in tooth. This car wash should be a hot topic now that we are all in the deep freeze. Even me, this former yankee living outside Atlanta is now having to cope with sub freezing crap.
I listened to a radio car care show, the host was Sam Memmolo. He is also on TV with a few car fix it up show's like Shade Tree Mechanic.
I heard him say never ever use a sponge, it can hold sand and maybe a small pebble. OK, I buy that, it makes sense. He said only use a wash mit. I've been using them for two or three years and get good results. I read in the Mo's manuel, "don't use a wash mit".

Come on guys, whats up with that! I think the auto fix it guy had better advice.
What are you guys using?
Bob

·
Registered
110 Posts
100% cotton, made in the USA bath towels. Basically what it says on the Zaino site. Also, try to not drop whatever you are using on the ground. You will never get all the crap out of it. Toss it in the garbage.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I heard a good way to check for 100% cotton towels is to burn a small corner of it. If it burns like a wick, it is cotton. If it kinda melts a bit, it is not fully cotton.

But anyway. Microfiber is good too. I use a wash mit to wash and microfiber to dry. Haven't done much waxing, but I've used a cotton towel for that.

Thankfully they haven't salted here in a while, so my MO is just dirty, not salty. It sucks, because you can either wash it quick with a power-washer and not get the embedded dirt (and then when you go to dry, you swirl the dirt around again) or go balls-out and do a full wash and dry.

And then you can wax. By then, I guarantee you'll be frozen. ;)

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I just got the Original California water blade, it's a squeegee thing. Anyone use one yet? Thoughts?

I'm thinking gently squeegee, then finish drying with the chamios. It's gotta be faster than wiping the whole MO dry.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
MVTCFP said:
I just got the Original California water blade, it's a squeegee thing. Anyone use one yet? Thoughts?

I'm thinking gently squeegee, then finish drying with the chamios. It's gotta be faster than wiping the whole MO dry.
The California Water Blade is excellent, its way faster than using a chamois and it wipes very very clean.

·
Registered
36 Posts
CAUTION RE WATER BLADE

Make sure that the blade itself if COMPLETELY CLEAN. I used it after a wash once and started noticing thin white lines appearing after the blade. The thing was TEARING UP my car.

A good rinse before and after each use is definitely a requirement.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Where can I get the blade?

I know what the California blade is a hand held squeegee device.
I actually went down to check out my car wash, just a recon mission.
They were brush-less, looked like a good operation and the car-dry guys were actually using the blade. What scared me is the drying towels they were using in addition to the blade. How many hundred cars did they wipe down and now all this hidden dirt and sand is now embedded in their towels? I chickened out came home ,washed it and froze my hands off.
Can I buy the blade in a Wal Mart, Auto-Zone, Nappa type stores or is this a Internet only deal?
Thanks in advance for a reply.
Bob

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I've always purchased my California water blade from Costco, although I would guess Walmart may have it too.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yep. They have it at Wally-World.
I use mine on the larger areas (roof, hood, etc) IMMEDIATELY after the after-wash rinse on the MO, the Cruiser, and the Town Ride.

Oh, and the ride doesn't move, except maybe to back into the garage, between rinse and squeegie/chamois.

Yeah, you have to be extra careful that the ride is really, really clean before you even think about using the squeegie. Even says so on the packaging.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've been using the California Blade since I bought my MO last May. No problems with it and it really cuts down on the drying with 100% US made cotton towel.

I never babied my Maximas the way I baby this car. Now it's freezing here and I'm afraid to take it through the automatic car wash. But something is better than doing nothing I guess. At least I can say no to the guys who are there to first go over the car with big brushes. Yikes!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts