Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just purchased a Murano SL (Pewter) and want to protect the finish now and in the future. In the past I have had bad experiences with waxing (always swirl marks) no matter how and what product I have used. What I would like to know is what products/methods are best. Should I just keep it clean by frequent washing?

Thanks in advance,
Rich Z

·
Registered
117 Posts
You are probably gonna here a lot of different advice,
but here is my 2 cents.

I use Klasse all in one, and the Klasse high gloss sealant.
Zaino is also great, though a little more $$$, but still check it out.

but here is what i did.
first a wash,
then a clay bar, do the plastic bag test (put your hand inside a plastic bag and run your fingers over the finish, if it is smooth as glass, then it is good, rough like sandpaper, needs claybar).
then the Klasse all in one (polish and wax in one),
then the high gloss sealant.
the wax should last 6 - 8 months, or even a year if i reapply another layer of the high gloss sealant.

here is where i got my info, and purchased my products.
www.properautocare.com
and here is zaino's website
www.zainobros.com

-Nerf

·
101 Posts
Zymol?

I just visited an auto specialty shop and they carry Zymol products. Why the heck is that stuff SOOOOOO expensive? I mean, they wanted almost $100 for a kit with Zymol wash, wax, and some kind of protectant along with applicators (and they were FAR from economy sized bottles). The wax alone was almost $50. Is it "magic" wax or what??? Anyone ever use it? Does it really shine/protect better than others?

·
Registered
117 Posts
i am not claiming to be wax expert,

but i feel that as long as you use a quality wax,

Klasse, Zaino, Blackfire, Zymol, etc (i am sure i am leavin some out),
you will get a quality shine, and be happy with it.
Sure one wax may give you a better shine than another, but can anyone really tell?
can you really tell?

it is really just up to your personal preference, and the amount of time money and energy you are willing to put into it.

-Nerf

·
Registered
126 Posts
You can get swirl marks with any polish if you aren't careful. The key is cleanliness. Clean vehicle to start, frequent rinse-out/exchange of the polish applicator, and frequent turning/exchange of the final polish cloth. The swirl marks are debris or hardened wax residue getting ground into the clearcoat surface.

You definitely want to use something, not just leave the paint surface exposed. HTH

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How long to wait?

Since the car is brand new (probably already waxed) should I wait to detail/wax? Anyone have any bad experiences with the claybar potion of the job? I assume even if new this is probably a must.

Thanks,
RZ

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
You don't have to wait, the MO was on a dirty/gritty boat for the first few weeks of it's life. I think there is another thread here somewhere that discusses the clay bar. But turbodog is right on the money. The secret is cleanliness, this also applies to the bar. Fold it often and follow the directions. What is amazing is to put a plastic baggy over your finger and feel the area before and after the bar. Simply amazing. But if you ever drop it, a polishing rag, or a wax applicator...throw them out immediately. I use new applicators and cotton cloths every time I wax.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Experience with Claybar?

Ok,
I'm ready to take the plung, but still am a little leary. Can anyone post there experiences (good/bad) with using a claybar?

Thanks,
Rich Z

·
Registered
117 Posts
i used the clay magic bar.
worked really well,
just took my time, and refolded the clay many times,
make sure you are using a clean surface.

and remember, it should be fun, after all its your baby (the car not the clay bar).

-Nerf

·
Registered
781 Posts
My first experience with the clay bar was on the M. I didn't care for it. I would practice on something else before you try it on the Murano. It works - just takes some time.

Here are some other helpful tips.

http://www.automotivedetailing.com/

·
Registered
717 Posts
Clay Bar

Clay Bars are great, expecially on a new car like the Murano who rode over on the boat.

I washed the Murano with the Blue Dawn dishwashing liquid for a really clean vehicle. Dried with a Microfiber towel.

Use a plastic sandwich bag with your hand in it to gently feel/test the surface of the cleaned paint after you wash. You'll be shocked as it'll probably feel like sandpaper. (On my new $35k vehicle?)

I used the Mother's clay bar kit, (on three different vehicles now) split it in to three pieces, don't use much pressure, and use LOTS of the lubricant. If you drop the clay bar, throw it away. Don't even think about reusing it. That's why you split it in the first place.

I would go so far as to say, buy two of the clay bar kits up front just in case you've got the drops that day. You can alway return the other one if you don't need it.

I also am a Klasse products fan. It is expensive, but it is a great sealer and the more coats you put on of the All-in-One, the nicer it looks. The final coat of the Klasse High Gloss Sealer is more difficult to put on, but does add noticeably to the shine.

The final step is to seal in the beautiful shine you've created with a good paste wax. A couple of coats should do it.

My Murano, 95 Maxima (with 192,xxx miles) and my 00 Maxima all have had this treatment.

Pictures are at:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id=4289392511&mode=&idx=0

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Basic steps?

OK,
I'm sold. Question is what are the minimums I need to do? I know wash, claybar, polish (all in one). I live in Northern NJ and use this car as my everyday vehicle, therefore I expect any major dtailing will only happen every 6 months. Is the Sealant necessary? Also, do I need to wax? I want to protect/maintain but don't want to be out there ever 2 weeks (especially with winter coming).

Thanks,
Rich Z

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
Here is a great page about detailing. http://www.autopia.org/index.php

I've learned a lot about technique and products at this page. I have used Zaino products because of the shine and durability over wax. If you read from others about this product you will learn that it's best to put on thin coats which are easy to wipe off. The first application requires preparation. After that, maintenance is a breeze and the results get better. I've switched to microfiber towels because they greatly minimize scratching. To prep for Zaino or any other waxing:

1 Wash with Dawn soap. It will strip all wax.
2 Clay the car. Break the bar in two to keep a reserve piece in case you drop one. Use a soapy lubricant (car wash and water) for claying the car. This really isn't a tough step.
3 I like to wash the car, with Dawn, again.
4 Some people will you use a scratch and swirl remover here. 3M's product is very popular and you can learn more from the referred web page.
5 Wax or Zaino using microfiber towels.
6 Subsequent car washes followed by using a quick detail product.

Good Luck

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Waxing necessary? How long?

OK,
I'm sold on the clean/polish potion of detailing. My question is whether or not I should wax? How long does it usually last? Is it more for show or protetion? This is my everyday (and winter is coming) therefore I want to protect as much as make it shine.

Thanks,
RZ

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
I think proper car of a car includes waxing. Zaino is a synthetic material and has been formulated for car care. Visit their web page for more technical information. www.zainobros.com Carnuba wax is very good too. The difference is that synthetics will outlast carnuba. Carnuba will last approximately 3 weeks depending on the environment. From personal use and what I've read from other users of Zaino, the claims are true. There are other good solutions out there as well.

"Waxing" will protect the car and make it look good too. When you wash a well waxed car the water will bead up and make it easier to dry. Suit yourself. Personally, I like a car that's clean and good looking.

Check out the detailers' page I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Good Luck

·
Registered
78 Posts
waxing

For my Black SE I see that "swirls" were apparant within 30 days of ownership. The solution!! McGuires Scratch-X and gold class clear coat finist. Wham-o! Swirl free!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts