Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's oil past the H mark on the dip stick each time I've checked the oil level in my MO. I've read the FAQ and searched this forum - not seen this problem mentioned anywhere.

After a 10 minute drive I park on a level surface, clean the dip stick with a paper towel and stick it back in and pull it out.

I'd expect the dip stick to be clean above the H mark - but it never is. This is my 1st Nissan - other cars that I've had didn't have the weird folds in the dip stick like the Murano's. (Seems like a weird design - anyone know the reason for it?)

I've told the dealer pretty much each time I've gone in for an oil change about this issue - they always appear sympathetic and write a note on the work order to check the oil level. (one even went to check the oil level and got confused, he thought that a bubble in the oil between the L and H marks was the measurement!)

So, my question: what's the problem with having too much oil in the Murano? (I know that some cars have issues with the CAT, others have issues with whipping the oils into a bubble frenzy - but is there a damage issue with the Murano?).:confused:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Did you try checking it first thing in the morning? Waiting ten minutes might not be enough time to let the oil settle.

If its high even after the car has been sitting for hours, then its too high. I've had some wild readings checking it a few minutes after driving it, so I don't consider that reliable.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just did my 500 mile oil change. Prior to the change the dipstick seemed to read that the oil was overfilled. After changing the oil (4.25 qts) and filter and I checked the level several times. Each time, one side of the stick was covered in oil way past the full mark, but the other side was wet right up to the middle of the cross hatch marks. Did you check both sides of the stick?

JeffC

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Sounds like their is some turbulence in the oil at the point the dip stick enters the sump. Just wipe off and re-measure with the engine turned off.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Make sure you are on a level surface too....I know its obvious, but. I've overfilled my car before....just put a bucket/cup under there and crack the plug loose just enought to let a cup or so drain out. Should be no big deal with the MO cause it has enough clearance to get under there without ramps or jacking it up.

I always check my oil in the morning, more than enough time for the car to sit in the garage and for the oil to settle.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
With my Honda I never checked my oil. Not even once in 170,000 miles. I always had the dealer check the level before the oil change (every 5,000 miles) to let me know if it was low and it was ALWAYS just right.

Now with MO, it seems like I have to get into the habbit of checking the oil level once in a while between oil changes as it seems it may use some oil, or even worse, level is too high and needs to be drained?

·
Registered
443 Posts
The dipstick design in this car is FUBAR. You basically have to let the car sit overnight for the oil to drip off the dipstick to get a meaningful reading. IOW, you can't check it during a fill up because oil is splashed all over the thing way above the high fill mark so the reading is meaningless. It's not that big a deal, of course, more of a nuisance.

I'm wondering, anyone who has a RWD VQ35 drivetrain (FX,G35,Z): is the dipstick as wacky? My theory is that it's the FWD setup that has forced the dipstick to take such a convoluted route.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
CAn't you just turn off the car if it's running and wipe off the dipstick and then re-insert and take a reading?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GripperDon said:
CAn't you just turn off the car if it's running and wipe off the dipstick and then re-insert and take a reading?
That's part of my point. I've certainly tried that - after cleaning the dip stick with a paper towel. An awful lot of oil end up way past the MAX mark on the dip stick - both on the front side and back side of the dip stick.

Are you saying that you can do the above and get a good reading? No oil above the H mark on either side of the dip stick?

Someone's earlier post pointed out that taking out a cup of oil is pretty easy due to the ground clearance - I think I'll just do that until the oil level reaches a good level. Then I won't have to worry about any damage too much oil might cause.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Spikey said:

That's part of my point. I've certainly tried that - after cleaning the dip stick with a paper towel. An awful lot of oil end up way past the MAX mark on the dip stick - both on the front side and back side of the dip stick.

Are you saying that you can do the above and get a good reading? No oil above the H mark on either side of the dip stick?

Someone's earlier post pointed out that taking out a cup of oil is pretty easy due to the ground clearance - I think I'll just do that until the oil level reaches a good level. Then I won't have to worry about any damage too much oil might cause.

thanks.

Before you drain out oil, you should take an accurate reading first - after the car has sat for a while.

I've never had any problems taking an oil reading, provided the car has sat for a while (I'd give it at least 30 minutes).

As for the FWD design of the engine, the VQ was originally designed as a FWD engine in the 95 Maxima. It was later adapted to RWD in the 2001.5 Pathfinder.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Sounds like a simple answer here... if your reading is above the H after cleaning the dip stick then you have too much oil. I am picky about stuff like that as it may, may, cause extra pressure on the seals etc and have long term effects if left for a long period of time.

IMHO I would play it safe and remove about a 1/4 quarty. Open th drain plug for about oh I don't know about 5-10 seconds and close it up... it will be messy!

When I do an oil change myself I add about 4 QTS to bring it up about 3/4ish up the stick just to ensure that it isn't over filled.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The oil level on my disptick shows a definite line on the front side where the markings are but the back side of the dispstick doesn't come out as clean and shows oil here and there probably because of the indentations on the dispstick collecting oil.

·
Registered
263 Posts
500 miles why?

JeffC said:
I just did my 500 mile oil change. Prior to the change the dipstick seemed to read that the oil was overfilled. After changing the oil (4.25 qts) and filter and I checked the level several times. Each time, one side of the stick was covered in oil way past the full mark, but the other side was wet right up to the middle of the cross hatch marks. Did you check both sides of the stick?

JeffC
Just wondering why you changed your oil at 500 miles? I have 1700 I am waiting for my free one at the dealer at 3500 Or should I not ??

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Answers, IMHO

Just wondering why you changed your oil at 500 miles? I have 1700 I am waiting for my free one at the dealer at 3500 Or should I not ??
I think he changed his oil at his "first" 500 miles of owning the vehicle. While i dont think this is necessary, there is no harm in doing this anyway. Wait until 3,500 miles to do ur first oil change should be fine.

Remember to break in you car properly per writeups by a forum member (do a search).

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The 500 mile oil change idea comes from the old school thought that in the initial miles on the engine, a lot of metal bits get worn away ("breaking in") and ends up in the oil, so changing it will protect the engine.

I suppose that could be true, but then the oil is designed to hold particulates in suspension, and the filter probably grabs some of it too. There is no harm in changing the oil early, of course, provided you use normal dino oil and not synthetic.

However, seeing how millions of drivers have been waiting until 3000 or longer for the first oil change, and we don't hear horror stories of the engine not breaking in properly, I'd file the 500 mile oil change away into really really really preventative maintenance category.

I waited until 3000 miles for my first oil change, which I did at home. I found the oil filter was on SO tight, that I could not budge it, not even with an end cap type and a jaw type filter wrench (ended up putting a small dent into the filter, but it still did not turn). Since the VERY NEXT DAY I had to leave to drive across the country from California to Illinois, I put on another 2000 miles on new oil but the old filter. At the 5000 mile mark, I had the dealer change the oil, and it took them a good long time to get the factory filter off (I guess those robots really put it on there tight!).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Eric L. said:
The 500 mile oil change idea comes from the old school thought that in the initial miles on the engine, a lot of metal bits get worn away ("breaking in") and ends up in the oil, so changing it will protect the engine.

I suppose that could be true, but then the oil is designed to hold particulates in suspension, and the filter probably grabs some of it too. There is no harm in changing the oil early, of course, provided you use normal dino oil and not synthetic.

However, seeing how millions of drivers have been waiting until 3000 or longer for the first oil change, and we don't hear horror stories of the engine not breaking in properly, I'd file the 500 mile oil change away into really really really preventative maintenance category.

I waited until 3000 miles for my first oil change, which I did at home. I found the oil filter was on SO tight, that I could not budge it, not even with an end cap type and a jaw type filter wrench (ended up putting a small dent into the filter, but it still did not turn). Since the VERY NEXT DAY I had to leave to drive across the country from California to Illinois, I put on another 2000 miles on new oil but the old filter. At the 5000 mile mark, I had the dealer change the oil, and it took them a good long time to get the factory filter off (I guess those robots really put it on there tight!).
If its on that tight just take a screwdriver and pierce straight through it and pry it off. Sounds caveman, but it works.;)

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
If you use the screw driver trick be sure NOT to penetrate it too close to the engine side of it as you will damage the nipple that the filte screws on to. I had to use an oil filte clamp and it destroyed the filter in the process.

It was on soooo tight.... apparaently those robots didn't read the owners manual.. the part that states :DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN the filter":4:

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is part of the reason why I change my own oil. Always hand tighten filters to where it stops, then go another 1/4 turn.

Another option is one of those trendy new "strap wrenches". Its like a wrench handle with a flexible rubber strap on the end.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Yea.. me too. Tighten then 1/4 turn. I can usually get it off myself if not then I use that same rubber strap wrench or I had a oil filter end cap "socket" that fits on my socket wrench that works well too.

I can never remember if I put in 4 1/4 or 4 qts when I change it so I put a label under the hood to remind me: 4 qts with filter. ( as I add oil to the new filter prior to installation.)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Gonzo said:
Yea.. me too. Tighten then 1/4 turn. I can usually get it off myself if not then I use that same rubber strap wrench or I had a oil filter end cap "socket" that fits on my socket wrench that works well too.

I can never remember if I put in 4 1/4 or 4 qts when I change it so I put a label under the hood to remind me: 4 qts with filter. ( as I add oil to the new filter prior to installation.)
I only had to do the "caveman" thing once.....the 1 time my dealer changed it (when my Spec V was in for a recall).

BTW, the oil capacity is always in the owner's manual too!:D I sometimes forget as well.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts